October 2016 Moms

Fourth Trimester Fashion

I know we talked about what to wear immediately after delivery, but what about the weeks-months afterward?

1. What are your fourth trimester wardrobe staples?

2. Are you buying new clothes for this time before baby comes?

3. Any ideas on outfits for you to wear during family newborn pictures?

4 Any recommendations on cute, comfy, inexpensive postpartum tights?

Re: Fourth Trimester Fashion

• So glad we will be dealing with this during fall! My plan is to wear long loose tops with leggings and scarves. I've got plenty of tops and scarves from hiding my first trimester bloat last February, but I need to find some leggings. Any recommendations on those?
  • I second the woohoo for fall! I plan to go back to my standard leggings and ponchos or leggings and Piko dresses because they're oversized and I can hide anything that's still looking fluffy  ;) I am sure I'll buy a couple of new things just to feel pretty but overall my fall wardrobe that I normally wear should work pretty well. 

I love Old Navy leggings! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Loading the player...
  • NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited July 2016
    1. What are your fourth trimester wardrobe staples?
    This tends to be a depressing answer for some people - but don't pack away the maternity jeans. I actually never even got to wear maternity pants this pregnancy (due to warm weather) but I will probably be taking them out of storage (from DS' pregnancy) to wear this fall/winter. Leggings with dresses are good too. I'm not big into leggings personally so I can't really recommend brands - but I LOVE athletic leggings and I have some great Nike and Prana pairs. Unfortunately (for me anyways) you need to try them on in person to see if they're forgiving & non-pinchy in the tummy area - and make sure to look for styles with fold-down or higher waists. Hard tail yoga pants are supposed to be nice for PP too.

I think buying PP clothes before you actually know what you are dealing with body-wise is a bad decision. With DS, around 2 months PP I bought several pairs of jeans that ended up being too big REALLY quickly. Some people bounce back right away and (most) others don't. But you don't really know where the weight re-distribution is going to fall until you get there. Better to rely on maternity clothes for a month or two before spending on stuff you won't wear long.

With DS I wore maternity jeans and a non-fitted light colored top. My instincts were to wear black but the photographer (wisely) instructed that light colors look better in photos. I trusted her to make sure not to capture the bulging bits - any good photographer will be aware of this with newly PP moms. 

• klvklv member
    At home I will live in nursing tanks and PJ pants. In public?  Whatever I have that fits. I am not planning to buy new clothes unless I have to ( except for a pack of black underwear for the first week or 2 postpartum). 

I don't have to go back to work until January so work wear should not be a problem. 

Newborn pics?  As a family?  Ummmm yeah maybe I should think about that  
  • With my last pregnancy, DD was born in January, so I just continued to wear my maternity leggings for a while (and jeans). I paired them with nice, flowy tops and slouchy sweaters. That's pretty much what I wore for our newborn pictures. 
    I really like Old Navy leggings. I also really looooveeee the expensive leggings that come up past your belly and suck everything in (Belly Bandit). Those also help to shrink your uterus down faster, and they are more flattering. 
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • With DS1 I wore my maternity shirts for a month or so, then was pretty much back to my regular clothes. I tried a few nursing specific tops, but found I preferred the one-up-one-down shirt technique (wear a tank or cami under a regular top). I bought some nice thick leggings in the athletic section at Target, which were nice for holding in the post-baby pooch. The best nursing bras I found were at Soma, and I looooved my Covered Goods nursing cover.
  • DS was born in December, but where I live it's pretty warm year round. That said, I plan on living in leggings, nursing tanks and sweaters when necessary. <3 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• I'm so excited to start shopping for regular, non-maternity clothes.  I know it'll take a long time to bounce back, so I'll be in forgiving clothes for awhile.  Ill probably buy a few pairs of leggings and tanks and hope to be close to pre-pregnancy size before coming back from maternity leave.  I just hope to avoid a c-section so I can start working out faster.  My H&M catalog came in last week and it was exciting to consider non-maternity options, but I probably won't shop a lot until I see what the true damages are. 
  • I'll preface this with I went through my IVF retrieval in November/December, so I was swollen during the fall last year in order to have my FET in January... so I have a lot of good clothing ready to go for this fall.

1. What are your fourth trimester wardrobe staples? Leggings (Lularoe, Old Navy) and Tunics (again, Old Navy). Be sure to do the see through test with leggings.. I found Old Navy ones to be the best and most inexpensive. I also wear leggings with some sleeveless dresses and small cardigan tops.

2. Are you buying new clothes for this time before baby comes?  I'm getting new bras, nursing style, but I was told to wait until a month before the due date to buy them as we are still growing (and will grow bigger once milk comes in).

3. Any ideas on outfits for you to wear during family newborn pictures? Probably one of my dresses/leggings/scarves if we do newborn pictures with him.  It just may be newborn only photos depending on how money is.

4 Any recommendations on cute, comfy, inexpensive postpartum tights? Old Navy!!!!  I got a few maternity leggings from MM and Kohl's and both are slightly see through.. no bending over in shorter tunics for me!
  • I'm planning to keep the maternity clothes around for a bit, but as soon as the nether regions get put back together a bit I'll transition to yogas and cute, stretchy leggings. I love sweaters in fall/winter so I'm planning to pair chunky cardigans and wrap sweaters with just some basic tees and tanks. Otherwise my healthy collection of hooded sweatshirts and pj pants ;)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I won't be back at work until January. I'm hoping I can get by with my old wardrobe since I usually dress to hide my stomach anyway. Until then, whatever fits - presumably my pajama pants, some of my stretchier pants, and I love the maternity pants and kinda want to wear them full time for the rest of my life... 

We haven't planned formal family portraits but with Thanksgiving and then Christmas, we're sure to get pictures out of that. I'll wear whatever is comfortable and somewhat festive - probably black pajama pants and a red blouse.

• Leggings for the win!!  ASSETS by Spanx are the BEST! And because they're a sub-brand, they're cheaper than regular Spanx, usually about $28 - $32. I've gotten mine at Target & Kohls and also found them on Zulilly.  I pretty much wore them non-stop the first few months I was pregnant, when I started to not  fit into my regular clothes but couldn't quite wear maternity clothes.  They have a great high waist, to keep it all nice and smooth, great elasticity (like, stretchy but not TOO stretchy that they stretch out) and are NOT see through.  Seriously, I could not love or recommend these enough!  Here's a couple links for some at Target if you want to further check them out...  :p

https://www.target.com/p/assets-by-sara-blakely-spanx-juniors-slimming-leggings-seamless/-/A-15744714?lnk=rec|pdpipadh1|related_prods_vv|pdpipadh1|15744714|1

https://www.target.com/p/assets-by-sara-blakely-spanx-juniors-seamless-slimming-2045/-/A-15034059?lnk=rec|pdpipadh1|related_prods_vv|pdpipadh1|15034059|2

• 1. What are your fourth trimester wardrobe staples?
          As a previous post said, for at home it was mainly Nursing Camis and pajama pants or workout pants, and possibly a zip up sweatshirt over the cami.  
          For out in public what ever felt comportable for the day that was easy to nurse with, that was the biggest struggle was finding tops that I felt were easy to nurse with if we were out and about. 

I did that last time and regretted it because I thought I'd be one of those who'd bounce back quickly and ended up being one that a majority of it stayed on until I was done nursing.  
         I'm also very thankful that we'll be in the fall/winter for post pregnancy so I'm looking forward to oversized sweaters with leggings or jeggings with a nursing cami under the sweaters. 

I'm planning that we'll do the same thing as baby #1, blue jeans and black t-shirts.  Hubby and I still have ours so we'll just need to pick up a black T-shirt for our 3 year old, and little one will be in the buff.  

4 Any recommendations on cute, comfy, inexpensive postpartum tights?

Not sure :( 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @amheimerman - it also took me until I finished nursing to lose the last of the baby weight. Everyone has that friend who's like "omg I could eat anything I wanted when I was nursing and not gain weight, I hated weaning..." yeah unfortunately I learned that's not the story for everybody. Not sure why but nursing made those last 5lb IMPOSSIBLE to lose! I guess the plus side is that weaning caused me to lose the last of the baby weight, and I didn't have to change my eating habits after :)
  • About tights/leggings- a friend sent me a pair from LulaRoe that are really soft and comfy. They are a crazy color, so I never wear them though!
  • +1 to holding onto maternity clothes, and not buying a new wardrobe. I fit into my old clothes fairly quickly, but it took several months before my body felt comfortable in them again. It's weird how sore you feel, where you feel sore at, and how long you can stay sore. 
    I only own one pair of leggings, but will probably buy a few more after this one is born just because I've only learned during this pregnancy the glory that is leggings.
  • I wore a lot of leggings or work out clothes after I had DS1. This time around I started out a little heavier- lost all my baby weight within in 3 mknths but gained some stress weight over the past year. And I'm not really comfortable in much! I'm eyeing some of the lose pink blush maternity tops to wear with leggings. But they don't have anything in black... Give me all the black!
  • @LMNOBaby... Let me just say how much I love that post :) so much enthusiasm and also some helpful links. Thanks lady!
  • kmvisioli said:
    About tights/leggings- a friend sent me a pair from LulaRoe that are really soft and comfy. They are a crazy color, so I never wear them though!
    I agree with the LulaRoe.  They are so soft. Mine have a crazy print though so I feel they're a little loud to wear
  • I figured I would continue to wear my maternity clothes until I lost a bit of weight. That and sweats. I super need to narrow down and get some nursing bras/tops though. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I received one of these sweaters as a hand-me-down and it is so warm and comfy. I plan to wear this a lot during my maternity leave and I may even get another one. Thank goodness Old Navy still sells them!

• @ball4768 - I got a sweater like that after DS and LIVED in it, with a nursing tank under. It was a perfect nursing piece. 

Some great PP stuff from soybu right now (large photo warning):

• @noraaurora I think I will wear those type
    pf outfits forever and never look back. comfy and cute!