1st Trimester

Very anxious - threatening miscarriage

This is my first pregnancy - I feel silly posting this since I'm probably overreacting, but I'm a wreck. I'm about 8 weeks and have been spotting on and off with cramping since week 5. I went in for and u/s at 6 weeks (baby measured 6w1d) for what the midwife called a threatened miscarriage. They found a heartbeat, but it was only 97bpm and they were concerned about that. They took my HCG levels and those were high, but didn't in 48 hours like they were looking for (about a 32% increase). A couple of days later I had an increase in spotting/bleeding with some small clots. Went back to midwife for follow up at 7 weeks (measured 6w6d - little gummy bear grew!!) and heartbeat was 130bpm :)  My midwife simply said, "Today it is good, but we will see what happens. Try not to worry." Somewhat reassuring, but also makes me uneasy. Since then, by ms, sore chest, and exhaustion that I was really experiencing is diminishing. (Is it too early for those to go away??) I'm still spotting bright red on and off. 
If this is the wrong platform for this, I'm sorry - very new and it's my first community posting!! I guess I'm just looking for some insight and personal experiences. Thanks  <3

Re: Very anxious - threatening miscarriage

• I don't have insight but just reading this and sending you some virtual support.  <3
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ***TW***
    I'm sorry you're going through this. That limbo truly is the most unnerving experience ever. There are numerous things that can cause spotting in early pregnancy, and many of these causes do not lead to miscarriage. I had off and on spotting from 5-7 weeks, culminating in some dark red blood at 7 weeks. No cramping, and my MS was still bothersome. I was out of town at the time, and my OB recommended I check in with the local ER to see how the baby was doing. The tech seemed to have a lot of issues taking scans, and no radiologist or OB was available on site to read them. We did see a heartbeat of about 125. After they sent the scans off to be read, the PA came in and told me that I was definitely having a miscarriage. Despite my cervix being closed, the baby having a heartbeat, no cramping, and no additional bleeding since the blood that morning, she said they were certain that based on "developmental issues in the scans" the baby would not survive. They then had a nurse review miscarriage symptoms with me to prepare me for what I should expect.

I had to wait that whole weekend (including a terrible mother's day) before I could see my OB that Monday. The OB scans still saw the baby with a slightly higher HB of 130. And they found the subchorionic hemorrhage that had been causing the bleeding. My OB had also gotten more detailed info from the ER on the 'developmental issues'. Apparently the complete crackpot of a radiologist claimed that the baby's heart was on the outside of its body (well at 7 weeks, that's kind of what a fetus looks like), and he "diagnosed" ectopia cordis, an incredibly rare disorder that affects approximately 6 in 1,000,000 pregnancies and has NEVER been diagnosed prior to 9 weeks of gestation. Ultimately my issue turned out well, and I was even able to have my hospital bills waived due to their incompetence. I have never been more relieved for medical error in my life.

Anyways, outside of this time, with DD1 I had some mild spotting here and there after sex - there's increased blood in your vaginal and cervical area, and those vessels can break more easily. Unfortunately there seems to just be very little they can do in first tri to prevent miscarriage if it's going to happen. You may want to ask if they can see a cause of the bleeding on your scans anywhere - like with a SH. They probably have, but you can ask them to, check your progesterone as well. My OB had said that if mine was low, they could give supplements to help. Unfortunately, the primary option is just to wait. I know how terrible this wait is, and I hope you find answers, resolution, and a happy result very soon. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further.
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • Loading the player...
  • Hopefully they will continue to let you come in, especially if you are still spotting! I would take it easy until then, don't lift anything heavy and stay off your feet when you can avoid it. Keep us updated!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • emilybrown01emilybrown01 member
    edited August 2016

**Removed for TOU violation**

• I bleed all of first tri. I was on bedrest and progesterone until 13 weeks. I was lucky enough to see my ob every week or two. I had no morning sickness or any crazy symptoms. Hang in there and keep checking with your doctor. Best if luck!
  • Liss_37Liss_37 member
    edited August 2016
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. If it's any consolation, I bled bright red blood on and off with cramping with my son until I was 15 weeks pregnant. I also had no MS or sore breasts. No symptoms at all.  It was scary and I had to be on bedrest but everything turned out okay and he's a happy 6 year old. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll have a similar situation to mine and your gummy bear continues to grow!!

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• **UPDATE** 
    The bleeding stopped around 9 weeks and I had my first "official" appointment with my midwife. She did not seem too concerned about the bleeding as it had stopped by the time I saw her, but it came back full-force a couple days ago before I hit 11 weeks. I bled all night bright red, and it turned to brown by early the next morning ... was sure pregnancy was over :/ We have a home Doppler, so I tried to find the heartbeat the next day and we found it! Strong 164 bpm! 
    I called the office to notify them of what had happened, but that I had successfully found the heartbeat. Still had me come in for an u/s that day... Looks like I have a small subchorionic hemorrhage that is causing the bleeding. I have been in contact with them asking for clarification on the location of the bleed in relation to the placenta and cervix, but overall I'm kind of relieved! It's nice to have a name for what it causing all the bleeding. I am no longer spotting, but have been told to expect more. From what I see online, this is pretty common and (most of the time) results in healthy, full-term pregnancies! 

Hearing your stories was so helpful. It's reassuring to hear other experiences that have happy endings. 
  • Glad to hear baby is ok! @ARyan0815