Infertility

Swimming after transfer

We are in the midst of a heat wave and I want to jump in the pool. How long after transfer would you feel comfortable swimming in a chemically treated pool? I'm thinking about just waiting for beta but am known to be overly cautious.
IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

Re: Swimming after transfer

• I'd feel comfortable 48 hours after the transfer. That is usually when most things can be resumed, so as long as the pool isn't heated to over 90 degrees, it should be perfectly safe. You could always call your doc and ask if you want a professionals opinion.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• cmm012cmm012 member
    This is a great question! I woukd love to get in my jet tub, but I was told no full submersion in water. :(
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • Loading the player...
  • @ConstanceGoodspeed Yes, great question! I would think after 48 hours you should be fine... I don't think the water goes up that far. I am going to ask my RE when I go in on Friday. Let me know if you find out before then!
    *TW - Pregnancy mentioned*
    Me: 28 DH: 33, Married May 2014
    3 failed IUIs Dec '15 - Feb '16
    IVF April/May 2016 - 1 failed fresh transfer. 11 snow angels.
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
    Lawson arrived on 4/24/2017 at 7lbs 15oz, 21 1/2 inches long!
    Surprise pregnancy!! Baby #2 due 10/11/18 <3
  • Yes please let us know if you find out the answer. I will be staying at a hotel with a pool on Thursday night and I would love to go in it.
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
    FET #1- BFP; Ectopic pregnancy found at 7wks
    FET #2- February 2017 BFP  Beta #1- 119 (8dp5dt) Beta #2- 475 (12dp5dt)
  • Ok. My nurse recommends no swimming for a week post transfer. It is mostly to minimize regret. If the cycle fails, patients analyze everything and she doesn't want the patients to blame themselves thinking, "I bet if I hadn't gone swimming..." Obviously swimming is not birth control and does not prevent pregnancy.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Hi! I read mostly ladies don’t swim during 2ww. I was gutted because I love swimming!! Normally go about 2 times a week. I checked with my Biotexcom clinic when I went for ET and they said not to go swimming in 2ww too.

I think it more precautionary because in public swimming pools you are at more risk of catching an infection etc. Private pools are cramped with chemicals as well, so I don’t think this is a good idea really. I remember I had my BFP and was 5w+4days or so. I got my scan then and didn't dare risk it until after I saw a heartbeat (even though I would love to go). Our nurse did say it was ok after 2ww though I was just being paranoid… :p

• Personally, I would do it. Just not hot tubs
  • I never would have thought about this, so interesting to see the different recommendations. I swim in the ocean almost every day, so we'll see what they have to say about that.
  • Our doctor said no swimming or baths until we see a heartbeat. That sounds a lot more cautious than most but I am one of those do what I am told. Hard to do when you live in Arizona and the temp is over 110 degrees! Lol.
    Me: 27 DH: 26
    TTC since Dec 2013
    Dx: Male Factor - Low Count/Morphology
    IUI not an option due to low count
    1st IVF starts in April
  • Wow! I would never have thought you couldn't. How is it going to hurt, the cervix is closed pretty tightly. I'm 6dp5dt and went in the pool yesterday and today. We have over 90 degree weather here. I guess I better message my nurse to ask. 
    Me: 40 (PCOS) DH: 45 (High FSH, low count, & low morphology)
    Metformin & Clomid Sep '06 - Sep '07:bfn: found out we had male factor and DH refused mTese, moved on to IUI's with donor sperm. 
    Aug '10 to Jan '11 IUI's #1-5 :bfn: 
    DH mTese March '11
    1st IVF June '11- Antagonist Protocol: 21 ER, 20 mature, 11 fertilized with ICSI, 3dt- 2 (8 cell, 0% fragmentation), 0 frozen :bfn:
    2nd IVF Aug '11- Long Lupron Protocol: 23 ER, 18 mature, 10 fertilized with ICSI, 5dt- 2 (blasts), 1 blast frozen :bfp:
    DD born 6/2/12
    Waiting to start FET cycle for #2 with (1) 6 day hatching blast