1st Trimester

Excuses for no longer playing a sport?

I play roller derby and just got a bfp! My wife and I are so excited. I have about 3 more months in my season. My doctor said I could play contact sports until the 4th month but we don't really want to risk it. I am a captain and on a team going to championships in October. There is a lot of pressure for us to win and for the players to be on their A game. Any ideas on how I can claim to be injured that prevents me from getting hit? Slipped disc, maybe? I don't want to tell them that I just quit right before they need me at the tournament. 
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Excuses for no longer playing a sport?

• If they're good teammates they'll be more than understanding of your situation and you should just tell them the real medical reason you can't play. If however you're not ready to share the news, then make up whatever you think you can keep up the charade for. Slipped discs or rib injuries will each have different symptoms that might be noticeable off the track in the way you walk/laugh/move. Maybe claim you fell and got a concussion off the rink and need to take it easy?
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I mean, there are lots of internal ailments that could prevent you from playing a sport but would be otherwise asymptomatic.  Heart conditions, kidney conditions, traumatic brain injury, etc.  You could also claim a stress fracture of the tibia, which wouldn't allow you to do any "cutting" (side-to-side) motion like you'd have to do while skating.  

I personally would not lie to my friends about why I can't do something, though.  If you just explained that due to a medical condition, you can not currently participate, then I think it'd be really inappropriate for anyone to ask you to elaborate further.  You just have to stick to your guns with things like this.  The instinct is to be nice and apologize and try to explain, but you don't owe anyone an explanation for the decisions you make about your own health and physical well-being.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, guys! 

I don't want to lie but it's too early to tell anyone. My league is 70 people. That's too many to know this early. Since it is a sport, it's customary to tell people what injury you have if you are leaving in the middle of the season because of the commitment. 

I'm not big on lying but I don't feel comfortable telling the public yet. 
  • @lezdispenser oh, I totally get that... my point was more that you are well within your rights to say "sorry, medical reasons" and leave it at that.  Anyone who pushes you for more information is kind of being rude, no matter how many other people have disclosed their medical conditions to the group.  I'd rather have a friend tell me a nonspecific medical thing than have them lie so that I spent all that time worrying about them, only to find out the truth later.
  • Thanks, guys!