2nd Trimester

Seafood Buffet

So this may be "bad" to ask but I asked my gyno and she said it was okay to do one time as long as it wasn't a regular thing. What I want to know is how others feel about a one time indulgence on seafood during vacation. I'm talking an upscale buffet ($50/person) so food safety is fine but I want to be able to really eat and enjoy myself without guilt. We go here every year and its too expensive to eat mac n' cheese instead of the good stuff. I'm talking about eating only low mercury crab legs, oysters, shrimp, and clams. No fish. I'm just talking about eating a good deal of it. Please don't judge, just looking for others opinions and experiences. Again I told here it would be like a one time gorge and she seemed okay with it but I'm still hesitant yet tempted to just go for it, lol.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Seafood Buffet

• Your doctor said it was fine. Fish is actually good for you during pregnancy in small quantities. It's recommended not to eat more than 8-12 oz. a week but like you said, if it is more a one time thing I'm sure a little more is fine. Things like cooked salmon actually have great benefits. 

Just stick with things like crab, shrimp, salmon and tilapia. I would personally stick to cooked seafood and avoid the raw oysters/clams, but that's just me. I've had my fair share of sushi throughout pregnancy but almost all has been cooked. The place is reputable and it's a one time deal, don't fret over it. If you google pregnancy and seafood there are a ton of articles that give some great info, I've done it a few times throughout this pregnancy. :) 
  • You're dr already said it was ok, so I would say it's ok. Every year my family does lobster for my birthday and I happily ate my lobster while pregnant. We just made sure it was thoroughly cooked.

And I've eaten a good amount of shrimp. Always just made sure it hadn't been sitting around. Never would have even thought it wouldn't have been ok as long as general food safety concerns were followed.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited July 2016
    Enjoy. I still eat deli meat and fish of all kinds on the regular, including sushi (granted mostly cooked or with smoked salmon). Just make sure it's cooked seafood and you're good to go. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• If you're planning on doing the oysters, I'd make sure they were cooked. Everything I've read about seafoods and the real risks associated with them during pregnancy says that most raw fish from reputable sources are totally fine, provided you've never had issues from the restaurant in the past. Oysters/clams/mussels and the like should be cooked because they have the greatest risk of foodborne illness. Not to mention it's prime red-tide season right now. 

But go to town on those crab legs!! 
  • Thanks all! I went for it and of course only had the cooked seafood. Feeling fine but it was a one day deal, not eating any more for a couple weeks just to balance everything back out in the meantime! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I eat all fish except for clam and oysters bc I was told they are bottom feeders (plus I only like them raw and I won't do that pregnant) I also eat deli meat- not daily though.  I say you are good to go!

BabyFruit Ticker