TTC After a Loss

Thin Endo lining after D&C

Has anyone had issue with thin endo lining after D&C? I'm 9dpo and my endo lining is 5.79 at this stage. I've read that it should be well above 8. I've also read that it can take a couple cycles to build up after D&C. I'm super scared that I have had scarring event though the OB and RE both say it's rate. Freaking out that we are going to have to add this to everything else that we re dealing with. And if I have another 10+week MC that I will ruin my lining forever. 

Re: Thin Endo lining after D&C

• ....Lurking....

I have no idea if my lining was thin after my D&C but my first period was definitely very light...mostly brownish spotting with one day of light/medium flow. The second period was back to normal, actually a little heavier than usual. Third cycle I got pregnant so obviously I had no problem with implantation. Maybe just give it some time, I'll being keeping you in my thoughts!
  • Thanks @Spartanrd4! My first D&C I had a very light first AF. The 2nd cycle was more normal and the 3rd cycle I got pregnant. I'm worried and have read that 2 D&C can really hurt the lining. God I really wish I never had that 1st D&C that was elective. I had no idea it would put me in this position.
  • Loading the player...
  • Spartanrd4Spartanrd4 member
    edited July 2016
    I'm sorry @chloe97....did the doctors offer any options on how to thicken it or do you just need to wait it out?
  • The RE nurse didn't even mention it. I was just told that I ovulated and to call on CD 1.
  • @chloe97 *lurking* I just wanted to pop in and say that I had 2 D&Cs and a hysteroscopic septoplasty all in 11 months and was terrified I ruined my lining - but things are going well for me this time. FX this is just a wonky cycle for you. Also I think if you have scarring then you'd have pain also - is anything else weird going on? Sorry for all the stress you are under. It sucks that you just have to wait and see what your period this time and next time is like - all the waiting involved in Reccurent miscarriage is just awful. After a while it Makes the TWW seem like nothing.
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• ***lurking as well***

I've had two D&C's now. After my second I didn't get AF for 56 days. I was terrified something happened but it was nice and heavy. And now I'm pregnant again...not guaranteed to stick but I'm taking it as a good sign so far that I can conceieve. Thinking of you. I hope AF is nice and substantial when she shows. 
  • Ladies who lurk, I love you!! Thank you for giving me hope. @ceclarlinetlo I've been having weird pains here and there, related to cysts and ovulation. Lots of light cramping during the LP. I'm on cd 61, but I'm starting to suspect that the 4 drops of blood and intense cramping I had at cd 35 was my first AF. I'm working with an RE who is planning a saline HSG. Hopefully that will give us some indication of there is scarring.
  • It could've been @chloe97! My first post D&C period was 35 days after and literally lasted a day. My second flow was much more normal at an exact 28 days. This cycle just starting today was 31 days. 
  • I'm sorry you're stressed. What were they looking for in the ultrasound primarily? Was the purpose to measure your lining, or just see why you hadn't gotten your period yet? 

I don't have any experience with D&C, but I imagine it's going to take some time for your hormones to balance out enough to build the lining back to a more typical level needed for implantation. There are definitely ways to manipulate the lining once you are working with the RE, but hopefully you won't need it and it's just getting back to a healthy place after pregnancy/D&C.

For my FET they are essentially building my lining to the appropriate place for transfer, so I'm sure I'll know more about the process moving forward. On the IF board many women post about lining issues, maybe you might get some good insight there?
  • @BornReady They were looking for reasons my period hadn't come at day 61. The nurse said they were looking to see if my uterine lining was too thick. I wish I would have temped after my D&C so I had a better idea, but I'm pretty sure the intense cramping and 4 spots of blood I had at CD 35 was a period because I ovulated 17-18 days later which is pretty standard for me. 

I guess I'm just looking for stories that show that this can be normal part of the body's recovery from D&C and doesn't have to be Asherman's. I've lurked on IF, but haven't posted there but I'm not sure how many have had multiple MCs? 
  • What a roller coaster. Hopefully you get some answers. I'm not sure about the multiple miscarriages on the IF board, that's a good question.
  • I had similar fears after d&e. I had ultra sound a few days ago and they said it looked good. I've had much longer cycles and heavier periods, but still pretty regular. It put my mind at ease, but I still feel like things are different now. Def keep on top of it until you find out whats going on. Good luck!
    Me:35, DH 37  ~ Married July 2014
    ttc July 2015 ~ bfp Nov 2015 (cp)
    bfp Dec 2015 ~ (tfmr 17wk, March 2016, genetic disease)
    ttcal May 2016
  • I know this is an old thread but since I know you're still around @chloe97 do you mind updating with your outcome?  I had a D&C almost 11 weeks ago and since AF hasn't returned yet I had an ultrasound on Monday which showed my lining was thin (don't know exact measurements).  Based on OPK I believe I was 12 DPO when I had the u/s done.   
    TW* I know you have since had your rainbow *end TW*  but I'm wondering what your HSG showed and when your cycle regulated again?  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • @coco2787 after my 3rd d & c I went into RE to start next round of treatments after my period and he said my lining was really thin by the next cycle is was normal 
  • I’m glad to hear things got back to normal for you @Mack2342.   I haven’t even had a post D&C AF yet so I‘m really concerned about Asherman’s since lack of period and thin lining are both symptoms :(  Just looking for some reassurance that things could be okay still.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • @coco2787 hopefully that’s not the case and your body is just trying to recover.  With my first DC I bled for about 6 weeks and then it took another month before I got AF.  the 2nd two were different. I only bled for about a week maybe 2 and then AF arrived about a month later.   
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    edited September 2018
    TW

Happy to update! So my very first cycle after my 2 D&C- my period was a drop blood. The RE did not believe me, but I’m 95%  sure that I cycled because my next cycle after going to the RE went in and got the thin measurement. We semi tried the next cycle and got KU with DD the next month. A year later, baby girl was in my arms. D&Cs mess with your lining for a couple months, but it will go back to normal. If I’m rememberinv correctly, my period was 1 day after this cycle. The next cycle was more Normal.

Oh and to answer your actual question. I had no Interventions and my HSG was normal! Well actually, the RE upper my synthroid the month I got pregnant.
    Hope that helps! 
  • Thanks @chloe97.  I’m glad to hear everything was normal for you.  I have a hysteroscopy tomorrow so I’ll know more after that.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • Thanks for asking @chloe97 :)

It went okay, the ultrasound before the procedure showed that my lining had thickened appropriately from the week before and had a "feather" appearance, which is apparently a good thing.  The bad news was that there was in fact some scar tissue in my cervix and she wasn't able to even get the scope into my uterus, which was most likely due to an adhesion blocking the way.  Since my lining looked good on the u/s she wasn't concerned about there being adhesions within the uterus, which was what I was most concerned about.  The u/s showed I was close to ovulation so we'll wait 2 weeks and see if I get a period, if not, I will have to get surgery to cut through the adhesions.  So, not the best news, but there's still hope and it sounds like even if surgery is necessary that it will be pretty straight forward.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    edited September 2018
    @coco2787 I also had scar tissue around my cervix and in fact TW they had to break it up during labor with DD. THe good news is that it shouldn't prevent implantation, though I am not sure about whether it affects sperm. With both D&Cs my first period got stuck- meaning they could see blood in my uterus via u/s but it would not come out. Did you have that issue at all? I actually read about this being a postpartum issue and took some Evening primrose oil and massaged my own cervix to get it started.  

I should also mention that I had a LEEP procedure which caused scarring on my cervix as well. 
  • coco2787coco2787 member
    edited September 2018
    @chloe97 it's unclear right now whether or not the adhesions are the reason that AF hasn't returned yet.  I had a +OPK about 4 weeks ago and never had a period afterwards, but since we saw a thin lining when I was expecting AF it's possible it just wasn't ready to shed yet and/or I didn't actually ovulate.  I got another +OPK this week (and this time it corresponded to what we saw on u/s) so we know for sure that I should be at least expecting a period this time, so if it's light or doesn't come then it's most likely stuck.  

What did they do for you when they saw that your period was stuck?  Or did you just manage to take care of it on your own?  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    edited September 2018
    @coco2787 My OB was going to have me come in the first time and she was going to break up by inserting a small swab up there. I started doing some stretching the night before and it suddenly the blood broke through and all gushed out at once. I had to run to the bathroom. The second time, I knew I ovulated and so I knew the day that AF was coming. As soon as I felt like I was on my period, I did my cervix massage. Once again- blood gushed out quickly. The good news is the next 2 AF were normal. In fact, I feel like this also happened with my first PP AF, but I don’t have as detailed a memory about it since I wasn’t as worried about it and was preoccupied with DD. 

Anyway, fingers crossed for you!