Stay at Home Moms

re-entering the workforce

Hello Mamas I was planing on returning to work after ML, but now DH has an opportunity at his company to re-locate to a small town. He would get a pay increase and we would have less expenses which is amazing! However, there aren't  any job opportunities for me there, so I would happily get to be a SAHM!

I'm excited to stay with my son and give him quality time to help him learn and grow. Our ideal situation would be for me to SAH for 3-5 years to raise DS and potentially baby #2 then move back to a city so I could go back to work. What's holding up our decision is that I'm scared I'll have a hard time finding work after 3-5 years off and will be majorly stagnated. I'm only 2 years out of my masters program so I don't have a ton of experience in my field yet. I understand I might have to take a lesser-paying job and work my way back up, but I'm terrified I'll be so un-competitive. 

Anyone have thoughts or stories about re-entering the workforce? I need your input mamas! If you plan to go back to work how do you plan to do so?

Re: re-entering the workforce

• I'm currently trying to return to nursing after 4.5yrs at home.  If I hit the 5yr mark then it will require a huge amount of re-education so I am feeling the pressure right now.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I usually post over at 2IF but I will jump in here.  I've been a SAHM since DD was born, but I've since gone back to work 10hrs/week for some spending money.  I'm hoping the fact that I have been working PT will help when I go back to FT.  I am also terrified that no place will hire me FT since I have taken a bunch of years off.  FWIW, I was a biochemist before being a SAHM.  My PT job is not related to my previous career at all.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Loading the player...
  • legomalegoma member
    edited January 2018
    It's possible!

I was a SAHM for 12 years with no prior work experience. I had no issues finding work. I did complete college & went on to almost complete my Master's. I say almost because as soon as I got a job in my field I was getting promotions just about every year & caught up quickly to were I needed to be in life as if I had never left the workforce. 

I did get a PT seasonal job in retail when I was ready to re-enter the workforces because I was also scared that I needed to list work references & it was not related to my field (architecture, construction, interior design).

In the end I don't think those three months of retail made a difference. I've been working now for 6 years FT, with the same company, & in my field.
  • I think it depends on your field. When I told my boss I was considering not coming back he warned me the longer I was away the harder it would be to find a job. (He’s a great guy so he wasn’t trying to scare me just being honest). If I want to go back I’d probably need to go back to school and catch up a bit since it’s a quickly moving industry. Honestly if I decide to go back to work in the future I may pick something totally different since I’d need schooling either way. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)