Toddlers: 24 Months+

Tips for how to get 3 year old to stay in bed??

Cupcake MomCupcake Mom member
edited July 2016 in Toddlers: 24 Months+
Hi!
Please help with any of your experience!  I know I created the habit, but my son has always fallen asleep with a parent in the room.  We are ready to break the habit and started with a week of sitting away from him in the room and now we are sitting for 5 minutes then we leave.  It worked yesterday (but he was exhausted and didnt have a nap that day.)  Today he continues to come out of his room and I'm looking for advice about how to get him back to his room and stay there.  The moment I bring him back he comes right out again.. what do I do at that point?  Thanks for your help!  
(We even started a sticker chart, after 7 days/stickers he can choose a prize from the store)  Trying some positive reinforcement..

Re: Tips for how to get 3 year old to stay in bed??

• Well this might sound cruel compared to a sticker chart, but I know I'm not the only one who's used a doorknob cover to prevent him from opening the door.
  • Keep putting him back over and over and over again, repeating, "it's bedtime, you need to stay in your bed". Eventually he will get it, even though you will be exhausted.
  • Loading the player...
  • dufferoo said:
    Well this might sound cruel compared to a sticker chart, but I know I'm not the only one who's used a doorknob cover to prevent him from opening the door.

Yep. Or a baby gate in the doorway.