October 2016 Moms

TDAP Vaccine for SO?

I wasn't sure where else to put this so here we go. 

I am supposed to get the TDAP vaccine next appointment (along with the GD test..can we cram more fun stuff into one morning??).  Isn't my DH supposed to get one too since he will be living in the house? I am planning to ask the doctor at the appointment, but wanted to see if this is what BTDT moms have also heard in the past. 

Also, does it matter when he gets it as long as it's before baby arrives? 
Me:33
DH: 34
Married: May 2011
TTC #1: May 2015
DS: 10/20/2016
TTC #2: June 2019
#2 EDD: 2/20/2020

Re: TDAP Vaccine for SO?

• Yep! I also made my inlaws get the TDAP. Before baby is born. 

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Loading the player...
  • von1976von1976 member
    edited June 2016
    Yes, anyone that plans to be around the baby should have the TDAP vaccine. I have asked grandparents to get it, too, since they will be staying with us for a week or two. Pertussis can easily kill a newborn.

He should get it at least two weeks before the birth for it to be effective. Since you can't really know when that will be (even planned c-sections sometimes end up happening earlier than expected), he should plan to get it well in advance. Now, or within the next month, would probably be best.

Edit: Make sure it's the TDAP, and not your standard Tetanus shot. The standard Tetanus shot protects against Diphtheria, but does not include Pertussis.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• ashleymn-2ashleymn-2 member
    edited June 2016
    The purpose of giving you the TDAP vaccine while you are pregnant is to give the baby some immunization as well as the vaccine does pass through the placenta, or at least that is what my dr. told me. My SO is unable to get the TDAP vaccine and never had it ( as well as some members of his family due to cranial malformation and seizures from the vaccine), I have the TDAP vaccine but I am getting vaccinated again because my SO cannot get it and she said this will give the baby added immunity because they may be carriers. It will also give us sometime to decide whether or not we will  giving the vaccine to the baby since my dr. said she probably won't give it at birth unless we specifically request to do because of his family history. (which we probably will since baby does not appear to have abnormalities.)

SO and I have been together: 5 Years+
    BFP: 03/10
    First Baby: 10/20/2016
  • Yeah, we made my parents, in-laws and sister and sister-in-law make sure they had their booster before they visited our first.  The booster is good for 10 years, so they don't have to do it again for this one.
  • The problem is that you can't *force* anyone to get vaccinated. You can request it, maybe explain the importance of it, but there's nothing you can do that beyond barring them from seeing babe. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• How do people even go about getting a vaccine? I'm assuming it's not like a flu shot where you can just show up at a pharmacy.

• How do people even go about getting a vaccine? I'm assuming it's not like a flu shot where you can just show up at a pharmacy.
    They should be able to get it through their regular doctor.  Some of the pharmacy clinics have Tdap boosters (looks like some Walgreen's clinics and some CVS clinics have it).  I'd just call ahead and see if they have it.
  • Our local health department gives the vaccine for free to grandparents and expecting parents. But I'm sure your regular physician could also give it to you or your SO.
  • Yup, DH got his with me sometime around 30ish weeks. We went to a pharmacy and it was covered by our insurance. I don't remember if he needs a booster this time or not, I need to look into that.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Yes! I make sure everyone that is immediate family and is going to spend time in our house have their vaccines. I'm crunchy in almost all aspects of life except when it comes to vaccines. 

Also it doesn't cost anything so why not have it! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I informed my parents tonight of the vaccine. My mom responded with "I forgot about that!! I'll get it at my appointment coming up!!" My dad wasn't quite as enthusiastic....but there's no doubt my mom will stay on top of that for him! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Text both grandmas tonight and told them everyone needs to get vaccinated. Thanks for posting about this!

question: do they need to get the vaccine a certain amount of time pre baby to be safe or just as long as they get it?
  • Does little brother who is 10 need one? 
  • Googled to get the answer to my question. Per an article I found, others want to try to get the vaccine at least 2 weeks before the baby arrives... so hopefully everyone has plenty of time.
  • @mizzkbrat, is big brother up to date on his vaccines? He should have had one prior to starting kindergarten, but it doesn't hurt to ask for a booster. Whooping cough (pertussis) runs rampant in that age group of they are not properly vaccinated...our local middle and high school had an outbreak last year. I absolutely would look into it!
    BabyGaga
  • @mizzkbrat Your little brother or new baby's little brother?  Either way, have the parent/guardian (you if it's your son/stepson) talk to his primary care physician.  It looks like it couldn't hurt, but he may be up-to-date: https://www.immunize.org/askexperts/experts_per.asp

Looks like most kids get a booster when they're 11 or 12, but it doesn't hurt to get it early and it makes sense if he's going to be around a baby.

• @ignoscemihi @lizakate19

thank you. We are about to change schools for big brother (my step son) and get a of his forms to make sure he's up to date. Will ask the doctor to make sure when we go later this month!