Breastfeeding

Worth it to upgrade pump?

I apologize if this has been asked already and if it has please direct me to the correct thread. 

My insurance covers either the Evenflo Advanced or Ameda pump 100%. I've heard mixed reviews about both. I can get the medela PIS for an additional $150. In your opinion is it worth it to upgrade? I'm a FTM and not sure if I will be staying home or going back to work after the baby is born. 

Thanks for your help!

Re: Worth it to upgrade pump?

• I haven't used the ones you mention your insurance covers. But, I went with a different brand (i can't think of it at the moment) from my insurance and kicking myself for not getting a medela. I hated the one I got from my insurance and ended up buying medela. In my opinion yes, because I paid a lot more for my medela. 
  • I also haven't used the ones yours covers but I have the medela PISA and I do like it. I haven't had any issues with it and it's widely available which means I can grab replacement parts at target if something goes wrong or I forget something at home 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the Ameda pump and it works really well for me. I pump 2-3 times a day while at work, 5 days a week.  My other 2 children are older (16 & 9) but I used Medela pumps with them and thought they worked great as well.
  • I got the Ameda pump through my insurance and it worked great while I was on maternity leave and pumped every once in a while. But, once I returned to work I was using it about 8 times a week and after about a month it wasnt as effective. I was down to pumping 3oz a session until I bought a Medela PIS and immediately returned to getting 4-5oz per session. My suggestion would be to spend the $150 for Medela.