UO Thursday (6/30/16)

Let's hear 'em!
Me: 31 | DH: 43
BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18

Re: UO Thursday (6/30/16)

• Loading the player...
  • Of the original Star Wars trilogy, Empire Strikes Back is the worst. You cannot convince me otherwise. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think people who own cats need to be accountable for their whereabouts and keep them in their house only if they can't stay in their yards. I don't care if you have to tie them up, of kennel them keep them home! People with dogs don't get away with that shit why should cats be different. 
    -signed pissed off lady with a veggie garden 
    Preach it!  I love my cat dearly.  And it is because I love my cat dearly that he is never allowed outdoors -- it wouldn't be safe for him or for the local wildlife.  In our townhouse complex we have a couple that has been adopting cats and letting them outside for two YEARS now, and the condo association can't seem to do anything to stop it.  It pisses me off so badly.  We live in a developed area and the commuter train runs right through our backyard.  Those cats aren't safe, and we see them wandering around the parking lot all the time.  I am terrified that I'm going to hit one someday, and I don't want that on my conscience.

My UO:  I secretly love the stick figure family car sticker details that people put on their car rear windows, even though they're totally cheesy.  I think they're adorable, and I'd like to think that road rage is reduced when people think of a car's occupants as human and not as faceless jerks taking up road space.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DH and I:  Early/mid 30s
    Married 7/15
    TTC #1 as of 8/15
    BFP 11/21/15 -- MC confirmed 12/1/15
    BFP #2 2/18/16
  • Going off the animal theme - I don't want a pet.  I like animals.  I like playing with other peoples' pets.  But my mother-in-law keeps trying to convince me to get a dog for my two-year-old and I just have no desire to do so.  I have a hard enough time taking care of my toddler and he'll eventually be able to fend for himself.  A dog will always be reliant on me to clean up its poop and prepare its food.  I am not up for that kind of commitment.
  • Going off the animal theme - I don't want a pet.  I like animals.  I like playing with other peoples' pets.  But my mother-in-law keeps trying to convince me to get a dog for my two-year-old and I just have no desire to do so.  I have a hard enough time taking care of my toddler and he'll eventually be able to fend for himself.  A dog will always be reliant on me to clean up its poop and prepare its food.  I am not up for that kind of commitment.
    This is my argument exactly when my MIL tells me that I won't be able to resist when my son begs. Oh yes I will.  And hasn't she learned by now that telling me something like that makes me even more resolute? ;) 
  • I really dislike Kanye West's music and personality (that he shows to the public). I used to like some songs on his albums (I'm not talking Gold Digger haha) but not in a while and especially, after noticing him saying something about a girl bleaching her asshole and him getting bleach on his t shirt....I can't even. Maybe this is another UO but I'm really sad how music that is "popular" is such poor quality now compared to what I remember.
    I'm a huge Kanye fan but, if it makes you feel better, I don't think most music of his from The Life of Pablo has been too popular. 
  • CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited June 2016
    I think it's ridiculous when parents give their children names people can't commonly pronounce. 

One of my Facebook friends just announced they would be naming their daughter Saoirse. I've seen the name before, but honestly had no idea how to pronounce it. It's pronounced Ser-sha, which is clearly nooooothing like it looks. That poor child will have to correct people at least weekly for the rest of her life because you know they're going to be pronouncing it Say-or-see. Anyway, you can say it's a beautiful Irish name all you want, but I think it's just plain mean to name your American child something Americans don't know how to pronounce. 

ETA: As stated by the mother: The family has no Irish heritage, they just like how unique it is.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @AllyTheKid - At whom? Not me, I'm certain...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • mothernorthmothernorth member
    edited June 2016

@CopperBoom86 Your Facebook acquaintance with the unfortunate taste in names!
  • My UO: I think Dr. Pepper is disgusting and will never, ever, understand the appeal.
  • @AllyTheKid - Rats! I thought I was going to get flamed. I don't know why but the prospect of drama sounds particularly appetizing to me today. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I mean:
    OMG, you're SOOO closed minded and insensitive to the desires of those parents! You're probably just jealous that you didn't think of that name first.
  • This was going to be my UO even before I saw the animal theme we've got going today. Lol. With so many animals in shelters, I don't think there's anything wrong with adopting an animal if you can't afford to take it to the vet regularly. I would obviously never get an animal if I couldn't provide it its basic needs, but I don't condemn people who can't afford many medical expenses. I'd rather animals be in loving homes than in cages at shelters or put down because no one can afford to adopt them. 

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• But you guise... it's like getting a suicide at a soda fountain, then letting it go flat, THEN drinking it... how? Why?!
  • But you guise... it's like getting a suicide at a soda fountain, then letting it go flat, THEN drinking it... how? Why?!
    No no no no no no. This is quite unpopular with me. DR. PEPPER FOR LIFE! 
  • @rozANDbenSINCE2001 we have had three German shepherds. Our current pup is named Ruger, the one before that was Midas, and the one before that was Charlie. 

Charlie came because I had a weenie dog too and I loved All Dogs Go to Heaven. I love human names on dogs too. We should have named Ruger something like Brian. And our golden mix is named Kaia. :) 
  • @sjo_thetwins I love all those names! I am dying for a German Shepherd. My husband isn't ready for another dog since we had to very, very reluctantly give our bully away (he had a lot of health problems we just couldn't afford so a family friend took him, nursed him back to good health and he's doing awesome), but I just love the temperament of German Shepherds! 

@MRSCORKER Okay, I have to admit, there too many funny names for bulldogs, Meatball and Porkchop included! We thought we'd always be bulldog people, but we just couldn't keep up with the health demands of our guy :( We still love them, though, and maybe one day when we have more time and are better financially, we will have another because they really are sweet dogs! 
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @rozANDbenSINCE2001 They are very high maintenance and very expensive with their health issues!

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• I have another (possible, but MAYBE not) UO, I can't post it because morals/sensitivity, and it's driving me crazy!
  • I'm on the other side of the spectrum with pet named: the more creative the better. People names are generally boring. I worked veterinary medicine for years and loved all the unique names I came across. One of my fav's was Uh-Oh the Ferret (aptly named creature). I also loved a cockatoo named T-Bone and an African Gray named Echo (was was also aptly named because of how amazing he was at mimicking sounds first time he heard them). 

• I have another rolling off the name thing. I think using the first name of someone that is going to be alive for a long time and there is no other nick names either go by is freaking annoying. Same with goofy ass spellings of names. Both drive me up the wall because both things my parents did to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @Schell2013 It creeps me out a little when someone names a baby after a living relative. I get when dad is a Jr.  so baby will be a 3rd or something but MIL got pissy that we're naming this LO after my pop pop who just died instead of H's living grandfather. I just think it would be weird and morbid to name him after someone living. Almost like, "hey, we know you won't be around much longer so at least your name will live on!" 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• mkc3888mkc3888 member
    edited July 2016
    I don't like most carbonated beverages. I think Dr Pepper tastes like pesticide and coke tastes like dark corn syrup. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @Turtlemomma I'm with you on clever names. I've had a ferret named Ferret Fawcett, a hamster named Mr. Moons Over My Hammy, and a rat named Herr Käse.
  • @MRSCORKER it's just strange, middle names whatever but first names who likes not knowing if it's for sure you being called. And old John and young John is just as weird.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @AllyTheKid I am with you on the Dr Pepper! It tastes kinda like cough syrup. I don't get it
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also hate dr pepper
  • This may have already been discussed in the past so sorry in advance if it has! But I hate the use of 'sissy' and 'brother'. I am one of those people who believe that your name is one of the most important aspects of who you are as a person (and that's why it's so hard to decide on a name!!) so when you start referring to your children only in terms of their status as a sibling, you take away a piece of that. Now, I'm willing to accept/move past a one or two year old using those terms especially since some names are hard to pronounce for little kids but my SIL uses those terms for her 5 and 8 year old. I makes me rage-y every time! 

Plus I love my dd name so I do not want to replace that lovely sound with the word 'sissy' which I hate in general. 
  • I have another (possible, but MAYBE not) UO, I can't post it because morals/sensitivity, and it's driving me crazy!
    @AllyTheKid  Do tell!!!! 

• I would feel like a total ass if I were wrong about it though. It's a suspicious opinion, and I have zero supporting facts!
  • My UO: I think Dr. Pepper is disgusting and will never, ever, understand the appeal.
    Me too!! I think it taste like cough syrup!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I would feel like a total ass if I were wrong about it though. It's a suspicious opinion, and I have zero supporting facts!
    All the more fun either way .  .  .
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DH and I:  Early/mid 30s
    Married 7/15
    TTC #1 as of 8/15
    BFP 11/21/15 -- MC confirmed 12/1/15
    BFP #2 2/18/16