Breastfeeding
Options

Bf and pregnant

My 10 month old has been successfully breastfeeding, and I am about 12 weeks pregnant.  I pump at work, and noticed my supply has significantly dropped, used to get 16oz. from pumping twice a day, now lucky to get 4oz. I am considering on dropping a pump session, but not ready to wean from nursing. If I drop a pump session will it totally effect my supply? I nurse my 10mo. On demand on the weekends, at night and in the am. TIA 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Bf and pregnant

• Options
    When my son was about 10 months I got pregnant and my supply was instantly gone. It was a surprise to me. I would think you need to keep pumping as it is a supply and demand kind of situation. I'm sorry I don't have much experience in this area.
  • Options
    KMck27KMck27 member
    I was thinking that too. I am going to try it out and see how it goes. My pediatrician pretty much said don't push the issue, if she needs to take formula for a month it's not he end of the world. Although I feel like I'm failing her. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't feel like you're failing your daughter. You now have two babies to care for . It is a balancing act that will continue for the rest of your life. 

I don't have any experience pumping at work but I would imagine that you'd need to continue to pump to have any hope of maintaining your supply. Make sure you're drinking enough water. Both pumping/ breastfeeding and being pregnant require extra water intake.

Good luck!
  • Options
    happyhorsehappyhorse member
    edited July 2016
    I'd say the same as others. I'll add though that my supply tanked around the 2nd trimester. It picked up modestly around the third when my colostrum came in. My daughter likes the colostrum and still nurses. I'm down to pumping once per day for a few oz at work, which my mom mixes with whole cow milk in daughter's sippy cup during the work day. After work we nurse on demand. It helps me to feel like our nursing relationship can continue and I think it'll help her adjust to being a big sister.

I agree with others.  Water and keep nursing and pumping as much as is comfortable for you but don't beat yourself up; find a balance. 

PS I tried "more milk too" the pregnancy safe suppliment drops. Not sure if they made a difference but I liked that it was an active thing I could try. Amazon sells them.  
    Baby Girl
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Boy
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 8 weeks pregnant and having the same issue with my 10-month-old. I have a freezer stash to keep going but I am seriously debating just switching him to cow's milk instead of formula if that runs out after he is 11-months. I already know he has no allergy to it because I have mixed it with eggs he eats and he eats whole milk yogurt all the time. My biggest problem has been the pain since I am so sensitive now. I have cracked and bled almost every day for the past month. Plus he seems like he is starting to wean himself from our one nursing session in the evening. I'm trying to enjoy these last couple months of BFing with him but it's getting hard and exhausting.