January 2016 Moms
Options

Baby's first trip to the ER

Alright ladies! We met this milestone today and I want to hear all the stories. What did your LO go to the ER for and how old were they?

LO is 24 weeks old and has been showing signs of wanting to play with food. I'm doing baby led weaning and he was really interested in my yogurt this morning. So I gave him a little of my plain Greek yogurt on the tip of my finger. He seemed to like it, but 10 minutes later his poor little face was covered in hives. Off to the ER we went. By the time we got there they had mostly gone away. Dr. said to just supervise when introducing new dairy products and it will probably be something he grows out of since the reaction was fairly minor and short lived. I'm glad to have first ER trip out of the way now! 

Re: Baby's first trip to the ER

• Options
    Oh my! I'm glad hes ok! So far no ER.. Knock on wood... 
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    No ER yet, but I did call poison control after mixing up LO's vitamin D with an essential oil. How embarrassing! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank God he's okay! I plan to do baby led weaning so keep telling us about your expierences!
  • Options
    Thank God he's okay! I plan to do baby led weaning so keep telling us about your expierences!
    Will do! Basically they told me to only introduce one thing at a time every few days that way if he has a reaction you can tell what it is right away. It was a little scary, but I myself tend to get hives if I brush up against random plants or if I'm given antibiotics. I was expecting it to happen eventually, just not with yogurt of all things  :s
  • Options
    Yikes!! I'm so glad LO is okay! No ER visit yet for us. I was planning on doing BLW, but recently read something written by a woman who wrote about how BLW might not be developmentally appropriate for all babies. Her son was choking while eating a soft food (she's pretty sure it was a fruit bar but not 100%) and she ended up having to do the Heimlich. I can't find it right now, but I'll keep looking. She basically said some kids aren't ready for bites of soft foods and can really benefit from the practice of swallowing purees and smashed foods before moving on to bigger mouthfuls. We're doing a combination of blw and smashes and I'm leaving the smash chunky. So far, he likes it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    @missmhemhe I'm planning on doing some smashed avocado in a few days, but letting him eat it with his fingers :) we will do that and then move on to soft steamed veggies.
  • Options
    No ER trip yet for baby girl, but we came really close with all of her stomach issues. My son was 5 months old when I had to take him in... absolutely terrifying. He was acting fine, but one ear was red and swollen (like huge). I took hook to the pediatrician and he didn't like the symptoms he was seeing and sent us to the ER. While we were getting the address, a nurse noticed that his toes and fingertips were blue. Took him to the ER and they admitted him. He had a rash covering his body that initially looked like flea bites, then turned to what looked like ring worm, then to welts, and bruises. He ended up being extremely dehydrated, had influenza #3, and erythema multiforme (the rash).

His little immune system just couldn't handle the virus that he got, then reacted with the rash. He was in the hospital only one night and was released the following evening. 

This was also about a week after I found out I was pregnant with Brynlee... emotional disaster. 
  • Options
    We've been twice. Both times because our pediatrician was unavailable, and she was too little to go to urgent care. The first time was at 6 weeks. She had been coughing, and spiked a pretty bad fever. We got there, and she had "just a cold," but had passed it on to me, and I had developed pneumonia.
    The second time was around 12 weeks. She got some kind of bug, violent coughing, and didn't keep anything down for over 24 hours. She also spiked a fever again, so we took her, just to make sure she wasn't dehydrated.
    We eventually found out it was the croup. That one was awful. Poor thing ate about a 1/3 of what she normally eats for over 9 days. :(
  • Options
    @stephanienjer oh no on the croup! Apparently I had it several times as a baby and my parents still talk about how rough it was. I'm glad she's all better!
  • Options
    Cricket99 said:
    @stephanienjer oh no on the croup! Apparently I had it several times as a baby and my parents still talk about how rough it was. I'm glad she's all better!
    Thanks. The doctor thinks that she has seasonal allergies, and that those symptoms developed into croup. She was on a steroid for 3 days, and an increased dose of Zantac, because it's hard on her stomach. The best thing the doctor told me to do was stand in the freezer if she couldn't stop coughing. We have a chest freezer, so I would open that door up, and prop her up on those frozen pizzas! Worked like a charm! We've also used that technique on our older son now, too. :)
  • Options
    Last Wednesday was our first ER trip/ ambulance ride. We were getting Keaton ready for bed and all of a sudden he started throwing up. He didn't stop and it turned green. He felt cold and clammy so I laid him down to take his temp and he passed out and stopped breathing for about 30 sec. (the longest 30sec of my life!) We got him back awake but he was limp, white, and his lips were blue. He wasn't responding and if he did his eyes would open for a second then roll back into his head, still throwing up the whole time. I called 911 since we live about 45 min. away from the closest hospital. When the EMTs got here his oxygen levels were low so they put him on oxygen and took him in the ambulance. Since he was throwing up still they gave him a shot of something to settle his belly and when they did it make him cry. He started getting color back and by the time we got to the ER he was back to breathing normally and responding when I talked to him. All and all it was about a hour long ordeal and definitely the most scared I've ever been. Not a fun FTM's first ER trip.
  • Options
    Omg @kodariah I can't imagine the terror. What was the cause???
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    @kodariah omg that sounds absolutely horrible, how scary!!! I can't even imagine. I'm so glad he's okay now. Do you know what it was??
  • Options
    Thank you! I lost it for about two days thinking about what could have happened. They kept him for 24hr for observation. The Dr. called it ALTE (apparent life threatening even) and said most of the time it goes undiagnosed which is a good thing for the most part because if they can tell you what's wrong it means he would have a bigger health problem. They did blood test and monitored his heart and everything looked good so they chalked it up to a extremely reaction to his reflux. He was sleepy for a few days after and sore where he had an IV (it took three times to get a vain) and shot, but other then that he acts like it never really happened. I'm just glad everything happened how it did and that my husband was home to help me through it.
  • Options
    @kodariah My grandmother had this problem, too. I moved in with her in the last 4 years of her life to help take care of her. She had the flu or some kind of stomach bug, and at one point threw up all over the kitchen floor. The next thing I know, I'm diving to catch her as she starts to fall out of her chair. Completely unconscious and not breathing. I get her on the floor, and call 911. By the time the ambulance arrived, she was awake again. Apparently, "This happens every time I'm sick. Since I was a baby." It would have been nice to know. Hopefully your LO's incident is a one-time thing. Hope he's feeling better!