Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Bite #2!

So, my son was bit on his cheek in January by another kid his age at daycare. It was pretty bad and toy-related (my son had a toy, the other boy tried to steal it, my son took it back and then was bit). He was just bit again, on his arm by a girl in his class, because she tried to take his snack, he took it back and then got bit. I know toddlers go through this at this age (they are both about 2 years old), but it sucks having it happen twice to your own kid! Daycare has incident reports they fill out for each child, but other than that should they be doing anything? In both instances, it sounded like it happened very quickly, so unless someone was hovering over them, it couldn't have been prevented. I don't know if this is the girl's first offense (the boy no longer goes to the daycare). Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again???

Re: Bite #2!

• Options
    Unfortunately no. There's not really anything you can do. Sounds pretty normal for kids that age even though it sucks when your child is on the receiving end of that bad behavior.
  • Options
    Nothing you can do at this point. I would just try to be aware if it's a repeat offender and they aren't doing anything about it. There was a problem child in my son's previous class and they finally sent the offender away. I don't know the details but I was glad he was gone from my son's room. My son was 3 and I got pretty reliable info from him. "[Boy's name] hits and kicks. He has a problem." I asked the teacher about it and they admitted he is very aggressive and a few weeks later my son told me he was sent back to a different class and his teacher confirmed it for me. If a young age 2 it might be hard to get info from your child but the teacher should tell you if it's the same offender. They may not say the name but you have a right to be concerned if it's an *ongoing* problem.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    greyt00 said:
    Nothing you can do at this point. I would just try to be aware if it's a repeat offender and they aren't doing anything about it. There was a problem child in my son's previous class and they finally sent the offender away. I don't know the details but I was glad he was gone from my son's room. My son was 3 and I got pretty reliable info from him. "[Boy's name] hits and kicks. He has a problem." I asked the teacher about it and they admitted he is very aggressive and a few weeks later my son told me he was sent back to a different class and his teacher confirmed it for me. If a young age 2 it might be hard to get info from your child but the teacher should tell you if it's the same offender. They may not say the name but you have a right to be concerned if it's an *ongoing* problem.

Oh he told me who did it LOL. He pointed to his arm and said "[M] bite. No, no, [M]." Despite the fact he got bit, I was pretty amused that he was communicating this so well to me!
  • Options
    greyt00 said:

Oh he told me who did it LOL. He pointed to his arm and said "[M] bite. No, no, [M]." Despite the fact he got bit, I was pretty amused that he was communicating this so well to me!
    I used to work in a daycare with toddlers, and just so you know sometimes when kiddos that young do this, they aren't actually saying the correct name.  One time we had a kiddo (kid A) who consistently played with kid B at school. He was bitten by kid B (over a toy disagreement) and kid C came over interested to see what was going on when kid A started crying. Kid A told his parents "ow, C bite!" And pointed to his bite mark when they came to pick up A!  
    (Not that it really makes a difference who did the biting, as long as it isn't a continuing problem, I just thought it was funny at the time that A tattled on the wrong kiddo!!)