Breastfeeding
Options

Relactation Help!

My LO is 14 weeks and I recently started relactation and i'm starting to get very discouraged. I've done a lot of research and I know it's going to take a little time but it's just so hard!
It's only been about 3-4 weeks since I was last able to nurse a decent amount and then my milk started to dry up. I'm taking fenugreek and pumping every two hours.. Do any moms out there have any tips or advice for helping the process a little more? I'm trying to hard to not just give up.
Also, How would I go about renting a hospital grade pump?

Re: Relactation Help!

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I drink over a gallon of water a day, take my prenatals and have oatmeal 5 days a week and I haven't had a milk issue. 
  • Options
    Regular oatmeal or steel-cut? No one is being clear with me about that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    shotzieshotzie member
    edited June 2016
    Regular oatmeal worked for me when I needed to boost my supply. The Quaker Oats in the tall canister. 

Is your LO nursing too, or are you exclusively pumping? If LO will latch, I'd nurse as much as you can. Baby will help stimulate your production better than the pump. If LO won't latch, doing lots of skin to skin should be beneficial as well. 

For a hospital grade pump, I think you need a prescription. You could contact your OB and request a prescription. 

What kind of pump are you using now?

Have you looked into bf'ing support groups in your area? A lot of hospitals have them. Or you could see if there's a LLL group in your area.  
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  Also try taking naps with LO and letting them use you as a pacifier if they can latch. Any time with baby on boob is going to help tremendously. Also I found if I look at pictures or videos of LO (or actual LO haha) while pumping I get a lot more milk so maybe that will help you as well!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    shotzie said:
    Regular oatmeal worked for me when I needed to boost my supply. The Quaker Oats in the tall canister. 

Is your LO nursing too, or are you exclusively pumping? If LO will latch, I'd nurse as much as you can. Baby will help stimulate your production better than the pump. If LO won't latch, doing lots of skin to skin should be beneficial as well. 

For a hospital grade pump, I think you need a prescription. You could contact your OB and request a prescription. 

What kind of pump are you using now?

Have you looked into bf'ing support groups in your area? A lot of hospitals have them. Or you could see if there's a LLL group in your area.  
    I did not need a prescription for a hospital grade pump. I just went to Babies R Us and rented one. 
  • Options
    Water intake and food seriously impact my supply. I have pumped exclusively since LO was 2 weeks (wouldn't nurse after OB recommended pumping when LO had thrush- guess bottle is faster for her!). She is 19 weeks now. When I don't drink 20oz between pumps (every 4-6 hours during the day) and eat something (even a granola bar or PB crackers) I'll pump 2-3oz less. I pump 30-34oz daily so my Modela pump and I are besties. Never looked into a hospital grade so I'm no help on that!
  • Options
    Goats rue. 
  • Options
    I got some free samples of UpSpring drink mixes recently and I highly recommend them - especially the chocolate kind. I've tried other fenugreek supplements in the past and they didn't really help my supply, but within 24 hours (and two of the UpSpring drink mix packets), my supply doubled. I think the supplement paired with the extra liquid is the trick. I recently went back to work, and I was terrified that my supply would tank, but so far, these are helping me maintain. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hi momma! I know this was from awhile back but I was wondering how relactation went for you and if it was successful!? I am currently in the process myself and just curious how it went!