Babies on the Brain
Options

Baby or no baby....Damn you Zika....

I am not 100% sure I want to TTC baby #3 yet. But, in the next few months I have to make a decision, and I am so scared if I decide yes, with this Zika virus thing. I'm not sure what to believe. If it's some sort of hoax, or if it's real. And, then I read that even if you get bit let's say now, not know you got bit, and then TTC months from now for example, you can pass on the Zika to the baby. So, I'm wondering if OB-Gyn's are now sending men and women who are TTC, for bloodworm to see if you have Zika in your system, as precaution before you TTC? I go in for my annual in July, so I'm definitely asking my Gyn then. Not sure if she'll think I'm nuts, but when it comes to family planning and my kids, I'll climb the highest mountain. What are your thoughts? Anyone worried to TTC with this Zika risk going on? I mean, I know there have only been very few cases reported in the US, so far. And, I know many of them are ppl who have traveled to affected countries. But, because it's still sexually transmitted as well, so it will spread eventually. Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this whole topic, worries, concerns, precautions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby or no baby....Damn you Zika....

• Options
    PolarBear517PolarBear517 member
    edited June 2016
    There is not yet active transmission via mosquitos in the U.S. So any person who has Zika here either got it abroad or from sexual transmission.

As a student of epidemiology, having reviewed the evidence, I firmly believe that Zika is a real and terrifying threat (definitely not a "hoax"). I live North of Aedes Aegypti or Albopictus colonies, but have changed my travel plans in August based on this fear. 

That said, the good news is that Zika typically only stays in your blood for about a week, it is thought that you build immunity after initial infection, and there isn't reason to believe that future pregnancies are at risk after the infection has cleared. It's sexual transmission that creates a prolonged fear. There is some evidence that men can remain infectious sexually for several months. We also don't know how many Zika affected pregnancies have adverse results. 

Not sure where you live but the mosquitos that transmit Zika prefer hot climates, so most of the U.S. that hosts these mosquitos only does so seasonally. If you are in an area that is likely to experience active transmission in the near future, like Florida, it may be advisable to take extra precautions not to be bitten (avoid mosquito-heavy areas, wear repellent with DEET etc.) and maybe review your travel plans if you had intended to travel to an area with active transmission. 

As as far as I know the tests for Zika are only offered to those who have traveled to endemic areas or are symptomatic. 
    Me (28) & DH (35)
    Met 4/2010+Married 8/2014 
    TTC #1 August 2016BFP 10/2016= DD Born 6.23.17
    NTNP April 2018. BFP 5/2018 EDD 1.29.19 *Team Green*

• Options
    There is not yet active transmission via mosquitos in the U.S. So any person who has Zika here either got it abroad or from sexual transmission.

As a student of epidemiology, having reviewed the evidence, I firmly believe that Zika is a real and terrifying threat (definitely not a "hoax"). I live North of Aedes Aegypti or Albopictus colonies, but have changed my travel plans in August based on this fear. 

That said, the good news is that Zika typically only stays in your blood for about a week, it is thought that you build immunity after initial infection, and there isn't reason to believe that future pregnancies are at risk after the infection has cleared. It's sexual transmission that creates a prolonged fear. There is some evidence that men can remain infectious sexually for several months. We also don't know how many Zika affected pregnancies have adverse results. 

Not sure where you live but the mosquitos that transmit Zika prefer hot climates, so most of the U.S. that hosts these mosquitos only does so seasonally. If you are in an area that is likely to experience active transmission in the near future, like Florida, it may be advisable to take extra precautions not to be bitten (avoid mosquito-heavy areas, wear repellent with DEET etc.) and maybe review your travel plans if you had intended to travel to an area with active transmission. 

As as far as I know the tests for Zika are only offered to those who have traveled to endemic areas or are symptomatic. 
    Thanks so much for your response! I live in New Jersey. So, I was thinking if we did start trying, to do it in the Fall...that way I'd be pregnant during the winter months, when there are no mosquitoes. But, even then, I'd still be pregnant in spring and a very small portion of summer. I have not yet read any reports of what phase in pregnancy, a zika bit affects the baby. Like if a woman gets bit in her 3rd trimester, would it cause any harm to the baby. By that time, the baby is almost fully developed. I'm still going to ask my doctor if my husband and I can get tested for zika right before we start trying to conceive. Especially, if it stays longer in men. Not risking it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Fergiegal, let me know how that goes for you! I'm a Jersian in the same boat. As far as I know, you will only get tested this time if you are pregnant and have symptoms. Very few labs have the capability to do the testing right now. I had my annual a few days ago and the doc said to wait 6 months. :(
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    @NYTino24 What exactly did your doctor say?  I'm in Brooklyn and just read how there are over 200 cases in NYC, pretty much from people who were traveling.  We are not planning on going out of the country but we are planning on starting tic at the end of the month.

• Options
    NYTino24 said:
    @Fergiegal, let me know how that goes for you! I'm a Jersian in the same boat. As far as I know, you will only get tested this time if you are pregnant and have symptoms. Very few labs have the capability to do the testing right now. I had my annual a few days ago and the doc said to wait 6 months. :(
    @NYTino24 We're not planning to try this year. Most likely during early Fall of next year. We're not planning to travel outside the country, but we do travel to south Florida because my parents live down there. So, before we do ttc, I want myself and my husband tested. I'm assuming those 200 NYC cases are from people traveling outside the USA? This is so scary. Some ppl think I am being neurotic about it, but I think it's being cautious and smart. So, the doctor told you that in 6 months labs will be able to test for zika before ttc?
  • Options
    @Fergiegal From what I have read, every single case of Zika was either contracted in a foreign country or transmitted sexually from a partner who contracted via a foreign country. However, all it takes is for a new mosquito to bite an infected person to pass it on to another. The doctor told us that current tests show traces of Zika can be found in semen for up to 6 months. As for lab testing, I believe they are too overwhelmed and will only test people who are already pregnant for the foreseeable future since very few labs can test for it now.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    NYTino24 said:
    @Fergiegal From what I have read, every single case of Zika was either contracted in a foreign country or transmitted sexually from a partner who contracted via a foreign country. However, all it takes is for a new mosquito to bite an infected person to pass it on to another. The doctor told us that current tests show traces of Zika can be found in semen for up to 6 months. As for lab testing, I believe they are too overwhelmed and will only test people who are already pregnant for the foreseeable future since very few labs can test for it now.
    @NYTino24 Yea, that's what I've read too, that it can live longer in men...which really freaks me out! What to do, oh what to do....I would think though, that if the actual zika mosquitoes were in Jersey or any other state, ppl would be contracting it left and right. And it's the prime of the summer right now. And, like you said, we've only heard of cases from people who have traveled outside of the country. This could be the next Ebola...it appeared, people freaked out, and then we never heard of it again.
  • Options
    We traveled to countries where there was Zika and my Dr didnt seem to worry at all
  • Options
    CaitM said:
    We traveled to countries where there was Zika and my Dr didnt seem to worry at all
    @CaitM maybe bc this whole zika thing is a lie. I had read an article that the babies born with the small heads were due to some type of larvicide in the water system mainly in Brazil, and obviously some south american countries, and central america.
  • Options
    I'm in nurse practitioner school and about to do another women's health rotation, so I've been doing a lot of reading about Zika - both because we're about to TTC and because I know it will be a hot topic for my patients. As of this morning, there are NO cases of Zika that have been transmitted in the US by mosquitos. Also, the main species of mosquito that carries the virus is typically not very prevalent in most areas of the US. That means, at least as we understand it now, that if a different species of mosquito bites an infected person, they will likely be unable to give it to someone else. Definitely something to keep an eye on for all of us thinking about TTC, but there are so many more concerning topics that this shouldn't keep you from trying if everything else is right!
  • Options
    Thanks for this information @ShadeofGreen816

• Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 Thanks you so much for this info! My husband and I are pretty much set on trying for our third. Not right now though. My almost 2 year old is way too much work right now. We're thinking of TTC early Fall of next year. I wish you best of luck in your TTC adventures :) May you conceive a happy and very healthy baby!
  • Options
    BestmomideasBestmomideas member
    edited August 2016
    We are thinking about trying for our third and Zika really concerns us as well.  We are going wait until the end of summer/early fall as a precaution. 

• Options
    @Bestmomideas the more research i have done, the more im starting to believe that zika is bs being fed to us by corrupt monsanto people and govt. For example, I read in a science journal this week, that in colombia, a study was done with 12,000 women, all had zika and thier babies came out healthy. I think it's chemical related. Whether it be the water in the affected countries, or in their produce...
  • Options
    Fergiegal said:
    @Bestmomideas the more research i have done, the more im starting to believe that zika is bs being fed to us by corrupt monsanto people and govt. For example, I read in a science journal this week, that in colombia, a study was done with 12,000 women, all had zika and thier babies came out healthy. I think it's chemical related. Whether it be the water in the affected countries, or in their produce...
    (Lurking again from birth boards)
    Hi, Sorry for lurking, but I just wanted to say that there's quite a bit of evidence at this point that Zika is a mosquito-borne virus.  It has nothing to do with produce or environmental chemicals, and the water of affected areas is only implicated in that it can be a great place for the host mosquitoes to breed!

May I please ask, which science journal was it that you were looking at?  This does not sound like something that has been peer-reviewed...
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    Fergiegal said:
    You cannot be serious with this conspiracy theory. Do you also believe vaccines cause autism?

Here is what the CDC says about Zika https://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/index.html
    and this one: https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00393.asp

World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/features/qa/zika/en/

NY times: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/health/what-is-zika-virus.html?_r=0

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2016/08/17/health/florida-zika-spread/

Honestly I could find 1000 creditable articles about the threats of Zika and ZERO creditable sources about Zika being a hoax. 

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Hi everyone, I know this is an older thread now but I am a new member and I just so happen to live in southern florida and I actually work in Miami at one of the major hospitals. I was literally in the exact neighborhood the Zika outbreak has occured in just days before the first person was suspected to have been infected (Yikes).  So I can confirm that Zika is defineitly real and the suggested wait time is at least 8 weeks for women and 6-8 months for men. The other thing to keep in mind is that most people who contract Zika don't show any signs or symptoms. So if you are planning a trip to FL just avoid Miami!!
  • Options
    Why do you say that Zika is very real? Did you see a woman at your hospital birth a baby with microcephaly? Was this woman infected with Zika?
  • Options
    satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    edited September 2016
    Fergiegal said:
    Why do you say that Zika is very real? Did you see a woman at your hospital birth a baby with microcephaly? Was this woman infected with Zika?
    Of course it's a very real thing. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/baby-zika-related-virus-born-new-jersey-honduran-woman-article-1.2660077
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Okay but that baby came from a mother who caught it in her country, not the USA. It wasn't local. As of now, no mothers in Florida or other US states have given birth to babies with microcephaly.
  • Options
    Still makes it real. We don't want it grow any further. The scary part of the disease is some who are infected don't always show symptoms, that's the worst. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    it's definitely real. But, not all pregnant women that get bitten, give birth to babies with birth defects. So, then should women who want to TTC really be placed in such great fear about this whole thing? Or is something else at fault for causing babies with microcephaly? It's mind boggling. And when it comes to TTC and people's right to procreate, we should question all sides of things. Not just gobble up what the media WANTS us to believe.
  • Options
    Sarcasm101Sarcasm101 member
    edited September 2016
    Fergiegal said:
    it's definitely real. But, not all pregnant women that get bitten, give birth to babies with birth defects. So, then should women who want to TTC really be placed in such great fear about this whole thing? Or is something else at fault for causing babies with microcephaly? It's mind boggling. And when it comes to TTC and people's right to procreate, we should question all sides of things. Not just gobble up what the media WANTS us to believe.
    Its really not mind boggling. If you fear what the media is telling you, then don't listen to the media/ Listen to doctors. Doctors are saying that Zika is a very real thing the USA and abroad. If you choose to ignore doctors, that is your right.  No one is telling you that you can't have a baby. Or taking away that right form you. 

You are staring to sound like you wear a tinfoil hat.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• Options
    The uncertainty comes because doctors as a whole, can't come together under one solid conclusion about this whole thing. If they could state, with concrete evidence that should you get bitten by zika, and are TTC, your baby will have --% chance of having microcephaly, should you be at __ stage in your pregnancy. Or, if you get pregnant __ weeks or months into your pregnancy, and get bitten by zika, your baby will have this, this, and this as a result. But, as of now, there have been a lot of recorded cases in south america, where mothers that have been bitten by zika early, in the middle, and end of their pregnancies, and their babies have thankfully been born healthy. And, then there are the mothers that have been bitten by Zika, and unfortunately their babies have been born with microcephaly. So, who's right, who's wrong, what is the true cause of this, who knows. It's for sure something serious, and really scaring people. But, how scared should they really be? The biggest reason for this fear is because no one really has a clear cut answer about everything zika. And no one wants to risk having a baby with microcephaly. I have two friends in south florida that are in their mid 30's, and want to TTC, but are now stuck between two walls, bc there have now been local cases of zika popping up, and now the encouragement comes from drs to hold off on TTC, but there's that biological clock. They don't have the luxury to wait around too long. It's just a frustrating situation overall.
  • Options
     If they could state, with concrete evidence that should you get bitten by zika, and are TTC, your baby will have --% chance of having microcephaly, should you be at __ stage in your pregnancy. Or, if you get pregnant __ weeks or months into your pregnancy, and get bitten by zika, your baby will have this, this, and this as a result.

I'm new here and don't want to step on anyone's toes.

BUT.

As a longtime student of biology, I feel obligated to say something.

The thing about emerging infectious diseases, especially zoonotic ones--we don't know any of this stuff yet.  This is a relatively new disease in terms of how recently it was discovered and when it was strongly linked to these birth defects.  In a very, very tiny nutshell, we (in the science community) need LOTS more research to make these kinds of recommendations with any reasonable amount of (evidence-based) certainty.

In general, I can agree with you that it's frustrating.  But that's no reason to throw out what the CDC and other health authorities are saying with regard to a dangerous emerging infectious disease like Zika.

Your idea that there is some agenda out there to scare everyone unnecessarily is, frankly, creepy and baffling.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    Oh, I am not in any way throwing out what scientists, CDC, etc are saying about zika. But, I like everyone else (especially women who want to try for babies), want concrete answers. And I know it takes time to get the answers. But, it's scary that now every woman in many parts of the world have a chance to get bitten by zika, get zika, and have a baby with a birth defect bc of it.