Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Biting

hi! So, does anyone have a biter? My LO is 16 months and has been biting others & his own wrist at times! He is biting both me and daddy, as well as kids at day care. Sometimes he's frustrated but other times it seems unprovoked. We have tried saying, "no" in the firm voice, we have tried redirection, we have tried removing him from the fun situation for a minute or so, and day care does the "teeth are for eating not biting" and "no bite". Now when he tries to bite, he will bite and say "bite", "no bite" and "no!" So he seems to get that he's not supposed to but he's still doing it. Anyone have any other suggestions?? I hate that he's the biter at school and don't want him to hurt any of his friends! Day care says its a phase but I just want to get him to stop as soon as we can! Help!!

Re: Biting

• My son went through this and I've worked at a daycare as well as much as you may want it to stop it really is a phase it seems like your doing all you can it could be an attention thing and. I know my son did it when he got really excited lol it lasted a few months and I just stayed firm and he eventually stopped. sorry I don't have any solid advice just an experience to offer ik sure he will grow out of it soon! I knew a lot of kiddos that went through this.
  • My son went through this and I've worked at a daycare as well as much as you may want it to stop it really is a phase it seems like your doing all you can it could be an attention thing and. I know my son did it when he got really excited lol it lasted a few months and I just stayed firm and he eventually stopped. sorry I don't have any solid advice just an experience to offer ik sure he will grow out of it soon! I knew a lot of kiddos that went through this.
    Ditto to all of this!
  • Loading the player...
  • Is he biting just others or is he also biting objects?
  • Both. He has one molar that hasn't made its way through yet so I think he's teething but when he bites he's definitely doing it with his front teeth. And sometimes it's unprovoked. It's not always when he is overstimulated, angry, or frustrated, sometimes he will just turn and try to bite. I don't get it.
  • I agree with above pp to be firm and consistent but if he's doing it unprovoked and random (and especially if he's biting objects as well as others) to have something to offer to chew on. My DS2 has a biting issue (he's almost 4 now) that has prolonged because he's got a huge urge for oral stimulation. We brought out his old teethers and kept one on a string that he can wear when we are out and I try to keep chewy treats and snacks handy and have encouraged him to gnaw on his teether or ask for a snack if he feels the urge to bite. We were encouraged to do this with his OT. It's helped some, but it's still a work in progress. Stay diligent, and redirect when you can.
  • My DD was a huge biter when she was this age and it actually took her getting bitten by anohter kid to finally stop.  My son has bitten a couple times, but his incidents have been more teething related.

My best recs are:
    - be firm and consistent in the 'no biting' commentary; possibly even f/u with a time out each time
    - provide lots of alternative teethers
    - get this book and read it every day: https://www.amazon.com/Teeth-Biting-Board-Book-Behavior/dp/1575421283/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468249342&sr=8-1&keywords=teeth+are+not+for+biting
    Our DCP recommended that book and it worked wonders for creating a dialogue about why biting is no good.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• So coming from the other side.. my son is in a small at home daycare (she is licensed) he goes there with my girlfriend's two sons (3 yrs and 7 months) my LO is 15 months.  My LO is about the same size as the 3 year old (big boy :) ).  WHat is happening is almost a territorial thing/jealousy of toys and the daycare provider - she is like a grandmother and the 3 year old was there alone for quite some time and has had an issue sharing her. (that is how awesome she is with them).  Well he has come to making comments first about not wanting my LO there, he hates my LO, etc. all I just let go because hes so young he just doesn't want to share.  Well it escalated to my LO getting bit on the hiney (went through the diaper) didn't break skin a couple weeks ago.  They have been working on keeping them separated since with extra watch. Well it happened again today and this time was on my sons face right next to his eye :( didn't break the skin but was close.  Everyone feels awful in the situation as of course it is not ideal and there is only so much you can do when your not there and only so separated she can keep them. I know its a phase and honestly I love my friends kids like my own but it is SO hard to see both of them fight like this.  How do you handle it from the other side when your kid is getting bit and you KNOW that someday it could be your kid who bites but how do you handle it when your NOT the parent and NOT the daycare provider (who also feels awful). It is just not an ideal situation and the phase is so hard!

Any suggestions on what you would be ok with or think that your friend should say/do? I am just not sure what to do..i don't want to make her feel any worse than she does but I also don't want my son to get bit any more :( they are both good boys and I know he is going through a phase and will get over it but I just am so sad over this :(

• I miss so sorry this is happening to your LO. My guy has stopped biting altogether. Yay! When he hurt himself, falling, biting his finger while eating, etc, we would point out that he was hurt and had a boo boo. So, when he bit one of us, we would be firm, tell him no, remove him from the situation for about a minute then tell him that biting hurt whoever he but and that it gave a boo boo. After some consistency he got the idea and now doesn't bite. We also encourage him to use his words...he's a pretty good talker so when he wants something or someone to give him something, he uses his words "my turn please" etc.

He has been bitten at daycare and part of me was sort of ok with it so he knows how I think hurts. It did break my heart too though. It only happened a couple of times....and nothing quite as severe as what you're dealing with. I would just express your concerns with the daycare provider and maybe she could do some serious work with just the 2 of them with sharing and just being around each other. Since the mom Ian your friend maybe you could talk to her too and suggest working with her to get the two to get along??? Just suggestions. Hope it gets better!!!
  • My DS has been bitten 3 times now at daycare by the same child.  The first two times were on the same day and caused teeth marks and bruises but didn't break the skin.  The 3rd time happened yesterday within a week of the other two incidents. This I can't see a mark.  Two of the 3 times my son was reaching for a toy the other child was playing with and was bitten. He is 16 months.  Daycare said they are working with the child and parents to resolve the issue but will ask the child to leave if it doesn't stop.  I hate that it's happening.  I would like to work with my son on taking turns but that's difficult since he currently is an only child.  We try to work on that when we are around other children with him but that's not often.