1st Trimester

Question for anyone who has been through IVF, does anyone know if cramps can benormal post transfer?

Hi, I had a 5 day embryo transfer on Sunday. (I am a gestational surrogate) I was not required to lie down at all after the transfer and I was not on restricted activity. (other than not lifting over 20 lbs and no baths) I was told to go about my regular life but to rest if I felt tired. This is what I have done for the past couple of days.

I noticed the evening of the transfer I had light cramps but I am not sure if they were from gas or actual uterine cramping. (unfortunately I had a lot of gas the first 2 days :neutral: ) Yesterday on and off I think I felt uterine cramps or tightening, it was slight and not painful at all so I am now questioning myself. I was just wondering if slight cramping or a tightening feeling is normal after an embryo transfer? (5 day transfer) I was told there could be blood from the catheter, which symptoms mean I should call the doctor and that as it gets closer to testing time I will start to go crazy looking symptoms but didn't mention if any cramping, bloating or gas could be caused by the transfer. (and I know they are not pregnancy symptoms - way to early for that. I also don't think this is implantation.) I am just hoping small cramps or tightening could be normal effects from the transfer.

I have emailed the nurse but she has not responded. She is great but it was a long weekend here and she is probably really busy. The information I was given by the clinic doesn't mention any sort regular symptoms that could be from the transfer itself. 

I know what could be normal for someone might be different for someone else and that even if cramps are or aren't normal it doesn't mean I will or won't be ok, I was just asking around until I hear from the nurse.

Re: Question for anyone who has been through IVF, does anyone know if cramps can benormal post transfer?

• You may have better luck on the infertility board
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • blush64blush64 member
    @comealongponds, thank you for your response. I figured that would be the case but since I was not a part of that board and did not experience infertility I didn't want to post there. I am trying the 3rd party reproduction board as well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi there- thank you for being a surrogate! That's really wonderful of you. 

Yes, cramps are normal, depending on how gentle the doctor was with that catheter. If it scraped on your cervix much at all it could cause cramping for at least a day, possibly more. My first IVF transfer the doc didn't bend the catheter just right and omg. Sort of like period cramps but more localized (for me) 

but it if you question anything just call the office! Most RE's nurses are pretty fantastic 
  • blush64blush64 member
    @TinaBelcher, thank you. At least it is possible this is a normal symptom and that's good. I am a bit nervous because I was told to get up immediately and that I didn't need to rest. (I was told I could go back to regular activity except not to lift over 20 lbs) I was expecting more restrictions like others I have heard of.
  • Some doctors rec full bedrest, some rec modified rest or just "taking it easy", some don't rec rest at all, it's not common but it's not unheard of. Especially if you as a surrogate have no implantation issues or anything like that, you should be fine!