Working Moms

Commute time

snowflake2214snowflake2214 member
edited May 2016 in Working Moms
What is the longest you would be willing to commute? I have two young children and I am looking at an excellent opportunity a little under an hour away. My husband does not want to move.

Re: Commute time

• I commute about 45 minutes each way, but that is with traffic, and it helps that I have different hours since I work at a school. I am gone from our house from about 6:30-4:15 each day, and I would probably not do too much further, mainly because getting home later is hard - and we already get home closer to 5 if I have any type of errands to run. My 2 kids are 3 and 1.5 with #3 on the way. 
    The biggest thing for me is my kids commute. Last year we moved them to a pre school close to me and they are in the car with me the whole time and we are actually about to change their schools because it is just too much for them and for me. If we have them at a center close to our house DH can drop them off later and then I can pick them and they can play instead of sit in traffic. 

I think it has less to do with actual commute time and more to do with how much time would it leave you at home and with your kids being able to be at home. 

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• It would be at a school so I would probably leave around 3:30 and kids would be in childcare near my house.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds pretty similar to my situation. Would your husband be able to drop the kids off in the morning so they didn't have to go in as early as you have to leave?

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• He usually leaves for work really early, unless he could adjust his schedule.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    No more than 30 minutes. 
  • My commute is an hour each way but I have no other choice and I'm miserable. :( I take public transportation so I can at least read or do other things instead of driving. I keep hoping to find something closer. I would be very hesitant to take it if I had a short commute unless the pay was a lot better.
  • My commute is an hour each way due to rush hour traffic and just sitting on the highway not moving. I chose a daycare halfway between home and work, I realized if it was closer to the house then I'd be freaking out sitting in traffic trying to get him before they close at 6. An hour commute sucks but IMO it's better if it's an hour due to traffic than distance. At least if the daycare calls me in the middle of the day to get LO due to illness it's really not too far to get him. If it's actually like a 60 mile commute that takes an hour then yeah, that really is not ideal.
  • @klirwin82 good point. I never thought about if I would need to pick my kids up in the middle of the day due to sickness. I am looking at a long commute mostly driving, not traffic.
  • 30-minutes

I work from home, and so does my husband, so we are lucky to have no commutes. But neither of us are opposed to taking a full-time job in an office if it was the right opportunity and our kids were a little older. But if my husband didn't want to move - then I would expect him to pick-up the slack and either help with pick-up and drop-off or doing more cleaning, etc. to help keep things balanced.

Get $2,000 More in Your Budget Every Month with a Creative Earning & Savings System :-)  MothersWhoLaunch.com
  • I work an hour from home (distance, not traffic) and while it is hard and of course I'd prefer a shorter commute, for us it made financial sense.  It's a long commute, but since I'm moving it's not as mentally taxing and when I've had to get my son when he's sick, it's not a big deal.  They take care of him until I get there and they know I'm an hour from them.  I do wish we could have him in daycare less though, so if you were to agree to a longer commute it would really have to be worth it - major career advancement or a significant pay increase.

Anniversary