Working Moms

Daycare Adjustment Questions/Help

We've recently had to start our 19 month old at daycare after being with a loving grandma up until then.  The first couple of days were surprisingly great, he seemed happy and liked it.  Now is a completely different story (this is only the second week).  LO is miserable!!  I completely understand that there is an adjustment period and this is all new but what is really strange is he is miserable at home!  All he wants is me to hold him, I can't sit down and hold him either, he wants me to stand and hold him.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, makes him happy, even when I tickle him he cries.  He eats good and naps good at daycare and they said his demeanor is just OK but yesterday he sat by himself most of the day  :'( He refuses to eat dinner at home and sleep has become a NIGHTMARE.  He is defiant and hits me and screams and, as I said before, he is just all out miserable.  I think the worst part about it is he was such a happy boy before, always smiling, dancing, playing, running around and now he's just so sad.  Have any of you had this happen?  Does it get better?  Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to help him cope?  

I am also currently 31 weeks pregnant, so unfortunately he is going to have to go through another adjustment period when the new baby is born.  So I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with his sadness now so when the new one comes along I'll be able to help him better adjust to that too.

Re: Daycare Adjustment Questions/Help

• I feel like this has happened to my daughter every time she moves up a room at her daycare (she is 4 now).  Honestly, I think that some (or most) kids are just sensitive to transitions.  It usually takes her about a month to really get settled in somewhere, so I would give it some more time if I were you.  Maybe talk to the daycare about the hard time he is having, and see if there is anything they can do on their end.

Also, 19 months is a rough age in my opinion.  They're moving, but they're not listening!  It is also when she went through her hitting stage.

If it makes you feel any better, she dealt with the birth of her baby sister last year really well.  It's only now that baby is crawling, playing with her toys, getting attention for making milestones that older daughter is getting a little needy and weird :)