Pregnant after IF

How do I keep my pregnancy news from other friends dealing with infertility when asked point blank?

NenaMommyNenaMommy member
edited May 2016 in Pregnant after IF

We want to announce our pregnancy to our parents first. But we don't think they would be able to emotionally handle a loss, so we are waiting until we have passed the first trimester.  At that point we'll tell them, and after screening tests come back, we'll tell other friends and family.  But, there are two people who know in detail what we've been going through with fertility treatment (specifics of trying ovarian stimulation for a few cycles, then IUI, that I wasn't a candidate for IVF, etc..). One is local, and either she's figured it out, or I've been vague enough to ward off more questions.  The other friend is not local, and she'll be coming into town next week.  She's not staying with us, but we'll meet up and out of concern and care she'll want to know in detail how everything is going.  She asks often through e-mail/msg, etc..  And in her last message told me she dreamt I was 3-5 months pregnant! I replied "let's hope your dreams come true!".  How can I manage this situation? Is flat out lying my only choice? She has dealt with infertility herself for years, is in her mid-to-late forties so unlikely to conceive.  I want to handle this very carefully.  Telling her is absolutely not an option.  Despite the best intentions, I don't think she could keep it to herself. And I don't think it's fair for other people to know before my own mother does.

In general, I'm also already thinking of how I'll tell those in our lives who are or have struggled with infertility.  Because of our age group (me 40 - DH 45), we know many.

Thanks!

Me: 40 | DH: 45 | together 14 years

TTC since 9/2015

• Low AMH (0.1), high FSH (23.7), low AFC (4), low responder to stimulation, given 0.5% chance of being able to conceive
  • High Risk Factors: AMA, APS (antiphospholipid syndrome), obesity, uterine fibroid, rh negative
  • SA: everything excellent
  • Began medicated cycles (clomid, ovidrel, follistim, estrogen, progesterone)
  • 1st IUI: 3/27/16, BFP: 4/11/16, EDD 12/18/16!!!

We trust and pray that God will continue to bless us with a full-term, smooth pregnancy and the delivery of a healthy baby.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How do I keep my pregnancy news from other friends dealing with infertility when asked point blank?

• If you don't want to tell her, you can just try to be vague and making it seem as though you are on a break by saying that right now tou and DH are just enjoying not taking any medication or going to frequent doctor visits. Then, just redirect the conversation to how she's doing and what she's going through. Implying I was enjoying my "break" was what I was planning to tell people, but we caved and told everyone really early. It did help stave off telling my mother in law and my husband's side of the family until we could tell them in person.

If you decide you want to tell her, I would just try to think of how you would want someone to tell you. Maybe throw in at the end that you understand if she may need to distance herself and that she should know you are there for her whenever she needs to talk and you're rooting so hard for her! For me personally, when I found out someone else struggling with IF got their BFP, I was truly ecstatic for them and it gave me a lot of hope. Not everyone will react the same way, and it really could go either way. 

Congrats and good luck!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • I would suggest to be honest and say that you are at a place you just aren't comfortable talking about and not discuss it further. It could mean anything, pregnancy, loss, new Dx, transitioning to new procedure/care provider. That way you're not leaving them with a false impression or implying they can't now, just that you aren't able to share right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you!

TTC since 9/2015

• Low AMH (0.1), high FSH (23.7), low AFC (4), low responder to stimulation, given 0.5% chance of being able to conceive
    • High Risk Factors: AMA, APS (antiphospholipid syndrome), obesity, uterine fibroid, rh negative

We trust and pray that God will continue to bless us with a full-term, smooth pregnancy and the delivery of a healthy baby.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm happy to report back that my local friend never asked again. When I finally told her a while later, she said she had been "wondering", but wasn't sure and figured that with something so delicate (fertility treatment), it's best to wait for the other person to volunteer information. How awesome is that?

With the out of town friend, as it turned out, we couldn't meet up, and I e-mailed her before we did our public FB announcement (again - much later than my OP here).

Thanks again for the advice ladies.  I hope your pregnancies are going very well.

Cheers

TTC since 9/2015

Pregnancy Ticker