Working Moms

Potential new job with overnight travel

Long story short: I have opportunity for a new job with great raise, benefits, etc. One potential downside is that I would be required to travel a fair amount; up to "60%". For moms who regularly make business trips, how do you do it?! Is there an age you found it to be particularly trying..? Our DD is 16 months old.

Re: Potential new job with overnight travel

• I don't travel as much as that, but I do travel 4-5 times a year for up to a week at a time.  Honestly, it has never really been trying for me (maybe the first time leaving them as babies is a little tough).  I always thought that I got the good end of the deal:  I get a nice quiet hotel room, dinners out with other adults, etc.  It is more of a challenge for my husband...especially now that we have two.  So if you can have faith that your husband can pull off the kid show by himself for that amount of time, and he is ready for the challenge, then I say go for it!  

I also make sure my husband has plenty of kid-free evenings when we wants (go to a concert or play softball with his buddies) since I know how hard he works taking care of them while I am out of town.

• I travel a few times a year (3 - 4 weeks total/year) but most of my trips are only 1 - 3 days at a time.  I agree with the previous poster, that it's definitely harder on my husband then it is on me and I also make sure that he has time to himself to do whatever he wants, even if it's just hanging out at home alone while I take our son out to the mall or something.  I do think 60% is a lot, and while it might not bother you or even your husband, it could be hard on your kid.  My husband's father traveled a lot and he resented him a bit for it.  When the kids are little, they don't really notice you're gone as long as one parent is there but as they get older, I think they start to realize it more.  I will say that for me at least, the emotional toll is tough and when I video chat with my husband and son (he's 19 months old now) before bed, etc. it doesn't make me feel great to be away.  I don't think I could tolerate much more travel then I do now.  I would feel like I'm missing out a lot.  In a perfect world I'd have a job with no travel, but the switch to my current job made sense for us financially so it's a trade off we're willing to accept.  

Now - all of that being said, if this is going to seriously improve your circumstances and the quality of life (or finances) for you and your family, I'd definitely consider taking it.  One thing to consider is just because you're traveling 60% now doesn't mean you will be traveling that much forever.  I think the younger the kids are, the easier it is to travel.  

Anniversary