1st Trimester

Pregnancy and SIBO

I was diagnosed with SIBO previous to getting pregnant and underwent treatment. Now in my first trimester SIBO came back full force. My GI doctor told me to follow a FODMap diet and take weekly B12 shoots and daily vitamin D tablets. Does anyone else has experience with this? Which tips can you give me to have a balanced diet and not starve while following this regimen? 

Re: Pregnancy and SIBO

• The FODmap is pretty self explanatory. Just try your best to avoid consuming A LOT of what's on the list. I had GI issues a couple years ago (gluten sensitivity and I'm severely lactose intolerant) and followed it for a few months. It helped, but it didn't really solve my issues, so I started eating whatever I wanted again. You won't starve, as there's still plenty of foods that are deemed "safe", but you just need to make good choices. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have been trying to combat a sibo flare up caused by taking too many acid suppressing medicines. I have been wanting to TTC and trying for months but I keep going back and forth telling myself I have to deal with Sibo first. It's hard to get rid of. I saw an article that said you can still take allicin capsules and enteric coated peppermint oil capsules to help fight sibo during pregnancy. also a strict SIBO and low FODMAP diet. Absolutely no sugar or starch/potatoes/rice/carbs. Miralax to help you keep going regularly so that bacteria doesn't grow and ginger pills are helpful also. Not sure about other antimicrobials like neem , goldenseal, berberine, or olive leaf extract but I would ask the doctor. I also suffer from IBS-C and chronic gastritis so even though I would like to get pregnant these things are issues I'll have to prepare to deal with. I feel your pain. Let me know how it goes. Best wishes for healthy happy pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • I do not have SIBO, but I do have IBS d. I've been following low fodmap since diagnosis in January. I did get relaxed about it when I got pregnant because all of a sudden I could eat anything without problems. Now I'm back to normal apparently and have to try to stick to low fodmap as much as possible. 

I must admit I'm kinda glad to see other GI issues and fodmap followers here. It's hard combining pregnancy and digestion issues.