Infertility
Options

Introduction

Sunflower5678Sunflower5678 member
edited May 2016 in Infertility
Intro and very first post, although i've been lurking for almost a year now.

My husband (30) and I (31) have been trying for over a year now. My husband was dx with low sperm count - numbers and motility (SA's 1.3 mil, 1.4 mil, and the last was 2.5 mil)
 Two failed IUI's w/clomid via my obgyn.
Then decided it was time to go to an RE (our closest one is 2.5 hours one way away)

The RE then diagnosed me with PCOS (super frustrated that my obgyn didn't catch that, even though I had asked him about it with irregular cycles)

My husband is taking clomid to maybe boost his numbers and I just started Metformin.

Planning on our first IVF transfer this summer sometime but trying to figure out finances as out insurance covers nothing.

Anyone else with low sperm count and PCOS? I feel like we got a double slap for infertility

Thanks for reading and fingers crossed for everyone :) 

Re: Introduction

• Options
    vssbrmvssbrm member
    Welcome and good luck! I think you will find many women in these threads that are in a similar situation that you are in. Though we are not working against PCOS, we do get the MFI. We just had our first FET last week. Fx for you!
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • Options
    Welcome!  We are also dealing with MFI.  My husband had low sperm count and the clomid helped!  He's been on it since December.  We've seen drastic improvements in count, but unfortunately motility and morphology are still fairly low, so we're doing one more IUI and then planning to do IVF this summer if we have to.  I'm sorry your RE is such a long distance from you :(  But it will be worth it in the end for that BFP.  Good luck to you on your journey!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cmm012cmm012 member
    Welcome to the group. I'm in the unexplained category so I can't offer much in terms of your DX, but the ladies here are awesome and very supportive. In positive there are a few with similar problems.
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • Options
    Welcome @Sunflower5678. I have PCOS, too. I take 1000mg of Metformin daily - should be at 2000mg but I can't seem to handle that much so my RE said some is better than none. GL to you!
    Me: 33, PCOS with anovulation
    DH: 36, No known issues
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily

Oct-Dec 2015: Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI = BFN x 2
    Feb-May 2016: Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI, Prometrium = BFN x 3
    August 2016: Clomid 100mg no response, Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI, Prometrium = BFN

• Options
    Thank you everyone for the nice words!

@Lizziej13 I'm suppose to get to too 1500 mg but this is my first week at 500 mg. So far so good! Good luck to you as well!!

Were you getting nauseous with the 1500? I've been reading that's what can happens some times. 
  • Options
    @Sunflower5678 actually I wasn't nauseous; it was more like an overall crappy feeling - "general malaise." I never had the more acute gastrointestinal symptoms. And any healthy foods - veggies, meat, etc. - were really unappetizing. So I figured it was kind of defeating the purpose if all I could stomach was bread and junk food. My goal this summer is to try 1500mg again and see if I can sustain that.
    Me: 33, PCOS with anovulation
    DH: 36, No known issues
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily

Oct-Dec 2015: Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI = BFN x 2
    Feb-May 2016: Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI, Prometrium = BFN x 3
    August 2016: Clomid 100mg no response, Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI, Prometrium = BFN

• Options
    @LizzieJ13 good luck with the metformin! I'm going to try and increase my dose this weekend! 
  • Options
    Msjen11Msjen11 member
    Intro and very first post, although i've been lurking for almost a year now.

My husband (30) and I (31) have been trying for over a year now. My husband was dx with low sperm count - numbers and motility (SA's 1.3 mil, 1.4 mil, and the last was 2.5 mil)
     Two failed IUI's w/clomid via my obgyn.
    Then decided it was time to go to an RE (our closest one is 2.5 hours one way away)

The RE then diagnosed me with PCOS (super frustrated that my obgyn didn't catch that, even though I had asked him about it with irregular cycles)

My husband is taking clomid to maybe boost his numbers and I just started Metformin.

Planning on our first IVF transfer this summer sometime but trying to figure out finances as out insurance covers nothing.

Anyone else with low sperm count and PCOS? I feel like we got a double slap for infertility

Thanks for reading and fingers crossed for everyone :) 
    Best wishes. From my little research it seems common  for both to fertility but FX for you.