2nd Trimester

Any idea what size tummy will be at 22 weeks?

I'm going to be a bridesmaid this summer... I have to order my dress and take my measurements for the size, but I'm only 10 weeks pregnant right now. At the wedding I'll be 22 weeks.. Any ideas how I would guess what size my tummy will be at that point?? How do I order a dress 12 weeks early? I appreciate any advice...

Re: Any idea what size tummy will be at 22 weeks?

• Ask the bridal boutique. They SHOULD know or have an idea. For me, at 22 weeks, I was just starting to REALLY show and not look fat. I had to order my dress for my best friends wedding that is 2 months postpartum, and did so at 22/25 weeks I think. I was already up a full dress size from my wedding this past September, and that was mainly in my boobs. Also, take the style of the dress into consideration. Is it tight? Is it empire waist? Can it be taken in without looking weird or costing you an arm and a leg? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    Everyone is different. I'm at 22 weeks now and my belly is huge (this is my first pregnancy, too). Does the bride know you're pregnant? Maybe she can pick a dress with a different, stretchier fabric to accommodate your growing belly. 
  • Loading the player...
  • What does the dress look like?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • This is the dress. I'm pretty average size, but I do have a bigger bust. I'm hoping the waist line is high enough to not be too tight on my belly.
  • DanyTargaryenDanyTargaryen member
    edited May 2016
    I've tried that dress on before but can't remember exactly how it fit. As long as you're not carrying too high (which at 22 weeks, the top of your uterus is about as high as your belly button so you shouldn't be carrying too high at that point), I think the waist line will be high enough.

I am a bridesmaid in a wedding at 35 weeks and went up 3 dress sizes (also a David's Bridal dress). I am 20 weeks now (FTM but with a definite bump) and 2 sizes up would be more than sufficient to fit me today.

You are better off ordering slightly too large and have it taken in a bit, rather than risk the dress being too small.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • What brand is that? My aunt owns a bridal salon and that looks very familiar. If it's an alexia something or other. It SHOULD be an easy take-in, but I'd probably order 1-2 sizes up based on that you said you have a larger bust. The waistline can be taken it a lot easier than the bust.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • What brand is that? My aunt owns a bridal salon and that looks very familiar. If it's an alexia something or other. It SHOULD be an easy take-in, but I'd probably order 1-2 sizes up based on that you said you have a larger bust. The waistline can be taken it a lot easier than the bust.
    It's a David's Bridal dress.

Something I forgot to add to my last reply is that they told me a dress can be taken in up to 2 sizes worth but almost none of their bridesmaid dresses come with any room to be let out.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Thanks for the advice! Super helpful :)
  • I was in a similar boat--actually had to order the dress before we were pregnant but the bride knew we were trying. The person at the shop recommended going up 2 sizes from what I would usually order in a bridesmaids' dress (which is already usually 1 size up from a normal dress) and it fit! The wedding was in early April, so I was just about 22 weeks pregnant then. Our dress also had a similar waistline to yours, it looks like. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • I was still in regular clothes until 24+ weeks and not showing with #1 by 22 this time I have a big bump so it's different every time & for everyone. I personally would get a bigger size and have it fitted week or so before 
  • kbkrbaby said:
    This is the dress. I'm pretty average size, but I do have a bigger bust. I'm hoping the waist line is high enough to not be too tight on my belly.
    That looks like it will have a lot of flexibility.  The usual advice is to order the dress in a "long" version because that way they can hem it so that the bottom hangs even if you have a bump.  Otherwise the skirt might lift up at the front.
  • Cute dress!! That empire waist will help a lot! :)
  • Check out the HDBD thread on OCT16 or SEPT 16 tomorrow. You'll be able to see bumps around the 20+ week mark if you need a visual. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Some people go up a bra cup size or need a bra hook extender by 22 weeks. I think the fitted top could be the only issue with ordering the dress in your usual size. I think I would go up 1 or 2 sizes and then have it taken in if necessary.
  • I'm a MOH for a wedding in October where I'll be 8 months pregnant and I'm trying on dresses at 6 months pregnant. They told me they will order a couple sizes larger and get a dress with a high waistband as the main concern is the boob area. Since this is my first you can't really guess how big I'll be. Bridal shops have done this before so don't stress. That's what alterations are for! 
  • My brother is getting married 2 weeks before my due date and as a FTM I had no clue how I'd be carrying. Due to how long it would take to get the dresses in I had a fitting at 12 weeks, where I wasn't showing except for my boobs lol the ladies at the bridal store were extremely helpful though! The dress is similar to yours only floor length and they assured me they could bring the waist above my bump, and we ordered VERY big to make sure I had room, and they suggested I ordered it long to cover the bump and still reach the floor. I hope this helps (: just know you'll rock the bump down the aisle!!
    Michelle