Infertility
Options

Failed IUI #1, Need some positive thoughts

Here's a little of my story:

Clomid 25mg for 5 days CD5 to CD9, Ultrasound Thursday, CD13, two follicules on my left side  13mm and 15mm, went back for ultrasound on Saturday CD15, both follicules over 17mm, so Ovidrel trigger shot given and first IUI injection given, then back on Monday CD17 for second IUI injection. Started progesterone 100mg x2 a day CD19. I read online that most of the time IUI doesn't work the first time, but I still had a little hope until the signs of AF today.  I'm 37 and DH is 33, we have unexplained fertility I guess although I don't think we have officially been labeled with that.  His swimmers are great, even after the wash!  I have regular cycles, HSG done, all clear.  We just started seeing a RE in March, so I know its early for them to pinpoint what the issue might be.

I'd just like to hear some success stories of IUI #2 maybe working? Or any suggestions.  I feel like maybe they will up my Clomid to 50mg, that's seems to be the normal dosage, and most people take it CD3 to CD7.  I knew I shouldn't have got my hope up, but I did.

Re: Failed IUI #1, Need some positive thoughts

• Options
    Aww, that's so cute that you take 25mg of Clomid! I'm assuming you have normal egg growth each month, and they just want to make sure with such a low dose. I personally started out at 100mg, and then eventually went up to 150mg. I did not have any success with the 6 cycles of IUI I did, but we have a diagnosis of PCOS, which is probably why I didn't conceive using IUI. Heck, I can barely conceive using IVF! Hopefully round two will be more successful for you, but there is realistically only a 10-20% chance of conceiving during each IUI cycle. 
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    I was thinking the same thing!! 25mg! Wow! I started off with a 150mg then went down to 100 and then 75mg because I responded too well. Then I was put on letrazole. I also have unexplained fertility where everything checks out with me and my husband has awesome sperm lol so the RE says. I had six iuis and it didn't work. Just did my first Ivf and got a bfp. I did have one ectopic with the IUI though so it kinda worked? It's been a super long journey. I wouldn't get discouraged with the first IUI not taking. My friend also had no issues and she got pregnant on her fourth medicated cycle and third IUI. It could totally happen to you. For people like me unfortunately it didn't happen. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm about to have IUI #3 and haven't had any success yet.  I do meet some girls on here who get their BFPs with IUI though.  And a friend of mine who has PCOS got pregnant on her first IUI.  It can happen, but I try to think realistically that even in the best case scenario, an IUI really only has a 14% chance of working (that's with normal sperm, and injectables).  It's a little lower with clomid.  Since we have MFI and are doing injectables, we have about a 7-9% chance.  I'm expecting to have to do IVF in June.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    bfp and loss mentioned 

IUI number 3 worked for me, but unfortunately ended in a loss at 11w. I took Clomid, although a higher dose (maybe 100mg). Just did #4 and so hoping that it will work again. 

I know it's easy to get discouraged; the chances are not super high but it's still a boost in your favor. I found it really helpful to have frank conversations with my RE to fully understand his recommendations in terms of sticking with IUI and sticking with Clomid.  Good luck! 
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN