Potty Training

Introducing Underwear with my Little Boy

Hi.  I just started potty training my 2 year old boy about 4 days ago.  I let him go completely bottom-less all day while we're at home.  He has been doing SOOO well.  Yesterday evening, I put him in underwear and he had his first accident all day.  This morning, I started him in underwear.  He had an accident and refused to put clean underwear on so I just let him stay bottomless.  Now I think his confidence may be shaken because he's had 3 accidents today even when bottomless.  (after zero accidents all day yesterday)

I don't know what to do about the underwear situation and we actually have to leave the house later today.  I *don't* want to put him back in diapers and confuse him, but I think he thinks underwear are diapers.  I even bought cute ones with his favorite characters - Thomas & Ninja Turtles.

I guess my questions are: When do I transition him to underwear (I think I tried too soon), and what do we do when we have to leave the house (I don't want to do diapers or pull ups), other than obviously bringing extra changes of clothes?

Thanks <3
Married 7/10/2009 * DD 12/2/2010 * DS 4/24/2014
2 babies in heaven (mc)

Blog: ForLoveofCupcakes.com

Re: Introducing Underwear with my Little Boy

• He is still pretty young. Follow his lead. If he asks to wear undies, shows interest or asks to use the pot then do it. Forcing is only going to take longer and/or cause regressions. Until he is ready you'll be going back and forth between diapers and underwear. 
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    My suggestion would be to put him in pants without underwear.  Just because he's had a few accidents there's no need to put him back in diapers.  Although it sounds he may have lost a bit of confidence why not do a potty break here and there through out the day and still congratulate him for going.  When he's ready to start wearing underwear- periodically congratulate him for keeping them dry. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a firm believer in once you switch to underwear, never go back. I think that's where the confusion begins. Eventually he won't like feeling wet so he will get the hang of it. Keep it up! You're doing great! 
  • blush64blush64 member
    I wouldn't go back to underwear if I switched but you have to be sure he is actually ready. Not all kids are physically ready at 2.
  • He may not have been ready. Has he shown interest in the potty or have you been "pushing" him to use it?

Now that you have switched to underwear I would not switch back but instead use pull ups instead. I used to call pull ups "underwear" and told DS he could not pee in them. Even when an he did accidentally go... No mess to clean up! I always directed him to his potty afterwards too.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker