TTC after 35

Checking in

hey! I usually post the TWW, but it's been a while since we did a check in for everyone. So let's hear from everyone! Where are you in your cycle? How are you feeling? What are you currently binge-watching?? 

I will start: I'm (sadly) at CD 1. AF just arrived, almost a week late. One of my rogue 32 day cycles. I'm feeling terrible. Ready for day 1 cramps to be over, but excited for this weekend. It's my 36th bday and my SO is taking me to the coast for the weekend! I've been binging on Nurse Jackie! If only I was as awesome a nurse as she is (minus the drugs of course). 
Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Checking in

• Lu19Lu19 member

Hello, thanks for starting the thread @poemasque! and so sorry to hear start of AF, a week late -that totally sucks and I really feel for you. Hope you have an amazing birthday weekend, you deserve it :)

I'm CD13 and totally confused. Had egg white CM yesterday and, what I think was, O pain - but not sure. I didn't even know O pain existed until a couple months ago when a friend who was 36 and TTC (now pg!) mentioned it, and I've seen a lot of ladies mention it on here (if anyone wants to weigh in on describing their O pain - much appreciated!). Anyway, that's pretty early for me to O, but in any event DH and I have been more on the same page in taking TTC more seriously and BD every other day since CD7, so interested to see what this cycle holds. My acne along my jawline/throat continues to persist to the point it appears cystic, so I'm also wondering if I may have PCOS. I have an appointment with my gyn in a couple weeks to figure out what's going on and if some tests need to be run. I've been trying to exercise regularly, and cut down on processed sugar, dairy and caffeine in meantime.

I've recently been binge watching Naked & Afraid - don't judge, lol! It's reality show where two strangers are stranded in wild with no clothes, water, shelter or food, and have to survive for 21 days. I'm usually not a fan of reality tv, but for some reason I can't pull myself away when I start watching. I think what I like about it is much of surviving has so much to do with your attitude and never giving up no matter what. Of course having good survival skills is important, but even the people that don't know as much regarding survival skills - if they stay optimistic, have a good attitude when things go bad, and just keep trying - they still make it.

• @PoeMasque that sucks that it was one of the rogue cycles that gets your hopes all up. I've been there the last two months. But how awesome about your trip, have an incredible time! I keep reading stories about women who claim that reducing stress helped them conceive so it sounds like a great reason to me to get away and let loose! Have fun.
  • Loading the player...
  • MomifbyseaMomifbysea member
    edited April 2016
    Ok here's my (long, sorry) update. Warning BF and DD mentioned.

Today is CD7 and I'm finally over last cycle's disappointment as I get hopeful for this one at age 41.5.  A few things are different this time around:
    1. I nursed my 2.25yo for the last time 4/20. Currently donning cabbage leaves in my bra at work for pain and hey it really seems to help. You gotta align the "spines" of the cabbage "just so" to minimize them showing through your clothes though. I hope I make people laugh with this, I like to poke fun at myself if it gives someone else a smile...but seriously, I had read that maintaining a milk supply in some women impacts fertility so in my horror after all these months of TTC I cut her off. Here's praying.

2. I have cut down on sugar and this week shifted to as organic and unprocessed a diet as possible. Before I've been eating a lot of processed carbs, love sugar, now I'm eating more fruits/veggies. Cut out all alcohol and caffeine the last couple months.

3. My DH (on his own, I had NO clue) stopped taking his Crestor for high cholesterol last week after he had researched that this class of drugs has been associated with reduced sperm quality and quantity. I was honestly so touched and encouraged that he had looked into this and acted on it. Makes me happy he's so on board.

4. I planned a week road trip for my DH, DD, and myself so we can de-stress after his grad school semester ends next week. This is also our last cycle together before my big 42 since he's in DC for the summer for work.
    edited April 2016
    Aah it cut off my last three things!
    5. I bought the OPK digital kit and start testing CD8, tomorrow. Need to figure out how to chart it. I work in public health epidemiology so am a data geek. I want some data to show my GYN on 5/11 appt.

6. Praying, my faith is of huge importance.

7. You may either find this brilliant or seriously delusional (LOL) but I've decided in my head that I am going to be 35, not my actual 41.5. This means taking care of myself better, eating and exercise wise, reading positive things like stories of 42 and 43 year olds who successfully conceived, just feeling younger in my head. I'm meditating and like a mantra I saw online - "I do believe we can conceive!"

As far as binging, we actually are one of those no tv families the past couple years since DD arrived. It's not even plugged in. We in the past were food network and travel channel junkies.
  • edited April 2016
    Good morning my fellow TTC ladies! 

Af is due to arrive in 5 days. Fx please! 
    i feel a little achy but I know that can be from AF getting ready. I also usually have brownish D/C a few days before but not yet! I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I'm anxious! 

I am binge watching Little Women LA! 
  • Hi ladies, I re-bumped up my intro since it was a little over a month ago.

@PoeMasque happy belated birthday! Sorry you're feeling so lousy, but hopefully some sun and sand at the coast will do you well. Sounds like a great little vacation!

@Lu19
    my O pain only just started a few months ago, but for me it's really just a moment or two where I get a twinge or pinched feeling in my ovaries. Not even truly a cramp, and definitely doesn't hurt in my case. Just some minor momentary discomfort. I've actually never seen the actual show Naked & Afraid but I just last week came across a spoof done with Peter Dinklage (Tyrion from Game of Thrones) and an SNL comedienne that I can't remember the name of off hand, but it had me rolling on the floor laughing.

@Momifbysea I
    love the cabbage leaf idea and the self-delusion. Keeping yourself young in body and mind I think is extremely healthy. And very sweet of your DH to be so proactive!

@Praying4agirl78
    fingers are crossed!

For me, I'm also on CD1, literally as of an hour ago, which is weird because I can't even remember the last time AF wasn't already here at my FMU. A little disappointed because DF and I had finally tried SMEP this past cycle (though we missed a day due to starting too early and getting tired, lol). Apparently my body was non-plussed. In fact, I never did have any O twinge this cycle but I did get my O temp spike. Despite the disappointment I'm also somewhat excited because I made my RE consult appointment this morning for May 10th. I have been having some suspicion that I have a thyroid issue going on so I asked if they could start with that concern, and they thought it was a good place to go from. I absolutely adore my OB but I have hope that this new office will be able to better treat me going forward. I watch my TV shows mostly from streaming anymore since I have no patience waiting week to week for a show. I had gotten through the first 2/3 of Walking Dead and fell off watching for a bit, so I have probably one more binge session on that of, I think, 3 more episodes.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • I kind of posted an update in my own thread yesterday of what's going on, but basically the RE says there's no reason they can see as to why we cannot get pregnant.  We have landed on it being a timing issue, so we are focusing on that for now before trying any of the "treatment options" that the RE has given us info on.  

I'm not binge watching anything at the moment, but we are trying to catch up on episodes of The People vs. OJ Simpson.  I do like it but then I also tend to fall asleep during it. 

@Lu19  - good luck with figuring out whether you have PCOS...I'm hoping you don't but if you do, hopefully in figuring that out it will help you get closer to a BFP.

@momifbysea - I applaud your brilliantly delusional look at your age!  And yes, I'm totally laughing about the cabbage leaves and feel stupid that I have no clue that that is a "thing".

@PoeMasque - I'm so sorry AF came.  Ugh.  I wish you better luck this cycle!!  Maybe the HSG will help you like I'm hoping it helps me!!

@cooaladolll - I'm wishing you lots of luck regarding the suspected thyroid issue!

@praying4agirl78 - Lots of luck to you...stay away AF!

Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • **lurking**

@momifbysea -- I am also 41 and graduated from this board back in January. I quit nursing my son and got pregnant 2 months later. I don't know if there is a correlation for sure, but I hope my story is an encouragement to you. Lots of praying at our house too, so there's always that. ;) I didn't think the nursing would have any effect on TTC since I got my period back at 2 months post-partum, and I was down to nursing him once a day, but afterwards I wondered if there was, indeed, a correlation. Best wishes to you!
  • hey ladies
    I'm on CD 10 so just gearing up for the BSC that's about to hit me lol. Hoping this is my month. around the time I would start to test will be my birthday, so I think it would be a pretty cool way to turn 37 ;) 

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• I'm in the middle of my second stim cycle for IVF ER and feeling good. Trying to stay relaxed and stress free. Reading the success boards for positive vibes helps.  :) 

@PoeMasque Hope you have a great trip and birthday. 

@Lu19I've experienced O pain over the years, but like PP it's just a pinch and it feels different than cramps, gas, etc. I don't feel it every cycle, but it could be happening while asleep.
  • @Sporty1216 your story is so encouraging to me, thanks so much for lurking! ;) Stay tuned! And t&p for you!
  • Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes! I'm over my CD 1 grump-fest and feeling 100% better (being cramp-free definitely helps!). 

@Lu19 I get O pain every month, sometimes for 2-3 days. It's like a stitch in my side only lower. It usually only lasts half a day, but is definitely painful/noticeable. I know it's O pain and not gas, it feels very different to me. I don't have PCOS and didn't have O pain until I was off of birth control for 9 months. It's usually on the right side, but every 3-4 months it switches to the left. My period starts 14 days after my O pain like clockwork. I love that I can feel it, it gives me something consistent and measurable in my cycle :) 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque- Glad you are feeling a bit better. Thank you for posting the thread and hope you enjoy every minute of your birthday weekend!

@MntnGirl- Best wishes for a successful IVF cycle! Good for you for focusing on staying stress free.

@lisswastaken- fx for a birthday BFP for you!

@cooaladolll- hoping you can get to the bottom of possible thyroid issue soon.

@praying4agirl78- fx!

@nomifbysea- love your positive attitude! Wishing you all the good luck!

I am on CD 19. I am not sure on O without temping or OPKs but I am at the end of FW according to the app I installed. If that is correct then I think our timing was good and now I keep calm and wait on!
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

edited April 2016
    @KT&John  keeping calm sounds like a great plan and fx that this is your month!

edited bc my phone refuses to get your name without the semicolon, hmm.
  • Thank you! And just notice my fat fingered phone typing has your name as "nom"ifbysea haha
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Happy Belated Birthday @PoeMasque!!!
    Me: 39 DH: 39
    CP 1/25/16 4.5 weeks, developed Graves' disease
  • Hi Everyone!
    I am waiting for my cycle to start. I feel like we're in a huge rush now, because my husband will be deploying again in October for nine months. I have been binge watching Jessica Jones on Netflix. Next up is Daredevil. 
  • @SLGILL1978 I am relating to what you said, as this is our last cycle before my husband leaves for work for the summer and I turn 42 when he's back, so feeling the clock...I wish you all the best!!!
  • @SLGILL1978 I am relating to what you said, as this is our last cycle before my husband leaves for work for the summer and I turn 42 when he's back, so feeling the clock...I wish you all the best!!!
    Thank you!!! Hope all goes well for you too :-)
  • KLake42KLake42 member
    Hey y'all!

I've been away, taking a break from TTC (and I have NO IDEA what CD I am, though I guess I could look it up), but I'm getting ready for my second try at IVF in a few weeks, so here I am!

My last IVF was cancelled for poor response, converted to IUI (which ended up being my 8th failed IUI).  I'm trying a different protocol now.  If it doesn't work, I'm giving up on my own ovaries, and will try reciprocal IVF using my wife's eggs, my uterus.  I just turned 39.  She's 37.

So... that's where we are.  I start BCP once my period starts, which is scheduled to be on Saturday.

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Welcome back @Klake42!  Nice to see you, hope your break proves to be well worth the wait!  I wish you lots of luck during your next IVF.  
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • Wishing you the best @KLake42 !