September 2015 Moms
Options

Stomach Bug

Our son has come down with a stomach bug.  He threw up three times yesterday (it was everywhere!), and on our way to the doctor's office this morning.  It was terrible, poor little guy!  He won't keep down any formula, so he basically hasn't eaten since yesterday afternoon.  Our pediatrician told us to get pedialyte and give that to him in small doses (2 or 3 oz at a time).  

This is his first time being sick, so of course we are wrecks and are so worried about dehydration.  He is so lethargic and sad.  

If you have used pedialyte, how did your LOs respond to it?  Did you offer it in a bottle?  Chilled or room temp?

We might have a double whammy too.  My best friend called yesterday to tell me her son came down with hand-foot-mouth disease.  We had a play date the day before her son was diagnosed, the boys were in close proximity, shared toys, and our son slept in her son's crib for a nap.  The doctor told us there is a few day incubation period for this, so we won't know if he has it for a few more days.  :neutral: 

Definitely not our week!  Hope you ladies have a good weekend!  

Re: Stomach Bug

• Options
    Awe man what a bummer :( I hope he's feeling better and doesn't end up with hand foot mouth. Good luck! I haven't been down that road yet
  • Options
    @Growingapepper , thanks so much!  It was quite a night last night and today.  He seems to be feeling a little better now, got him to drink some pedialyte and a little formula and he has kept it down so far.  Hoping we don't get hand foot mouth, but I'd be so surprised if we didn't with the close contact the boys had.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry your LO is sick! It's a helpless feeling. I really hope he feels better tonight and doesn't get HFM from his play date. My LO had a cold at 3 months old and we were a mess. Nobody ever told me how much I would worry as a new mom! I told my DH it's going to send met an early grave. 
  • Options
    Does your LO have a fever? 

Ive been dealing with this since Tuesday. Started with my baby, and youngest daughter. Both throwing up and diarrhea like seriously as if diarrhea was going out of effing style! I have done more laundry this week then I have this month! Our baby poops and it comes right out of his diaper. It doesn't even stay in there for a second! And now I'm wide awake because our oldest daughter didn't make it to the bathroom and threw up all over her bed, her sisters bed, the floor, the wall, over alllllll the bedding! Even the bed skirts!  Seriously! AHHHHH! I can't deal with puke and diarrhea anymore!!! 

Ok sorry.. Mega rant... Anyway, I just don't know if it's some sort of bug or the flu because it's only (haha "only") diarrhea and throw up. No fever, no aches, no pains, nothing... 
  • Options
    @itsmer30, I thought we were doing a little better, but he just threw up again about an hour ago.  He has no fever or diarrhea which I thought he would likely have with a stomach bug!  

I TOTALLY understand the cleanup, I have done countless loads of laundry because he continues to throw up on everything.  Not to mention this will be our THIRD time washing his car seat cover in 3 days, that thing is a beast to get on and off!  

He really doesn't have an appetite either.  He drank a few ounces this morning, few ounces mid day, but that's really it.  When we try to give him more he fusses and turns away.  Yesterday I got him to drink a little pedialyte, but today he won't touch it.

He has a cough on and off, and I don't know if that is leading to some of the vomiting, or not related at all.  It isn't a consistent cough, just here and there.  Some of these vomits are HUGE too...completely covering himself.

He seems to be sleeping a lot more too, his morning nap was 2.5 hours, that NEVER happens.
  • Options
    I know this post is a couple weeks old but I am sitting here right now going through this. I'm a FTM an this is our first sickness. It's awful
  • Options
    Ugh I am so sorry @ABombard12!!!!  
  • Options
    ABombard12ABombard12 member
    edited May 2016
    It is awful seeing your babies so scared because they don't know what is happening.
  • Options
    Staying home with him today thank goodness. He won't drink pedialyte like doc recommended. Just nurse. Hoping he stays hydrated. (App keeps cutting off my posts)
  • Options
    It is sad for sure:(. I'm sorry. I hope he gets through it quickly! 

My son wouldn't take pedialyte either. I even tried watered down Gatorade but he didn't want that either. 
  • Options
    @ABombard12, so sorry to hear that your little guy is sick!  :(  

That stomach bug was the first time our LO was sick too, it was terrible.  I couldn't believe it lasted a week and a half, we thought it was never going to end.  Poor guy vomited at least once every one of those days, sometimes more.  We had to make two doctor visits, and also one to urgent care.  Thankfully he stayed hydrated enough to where he didn't need an IV.

Our son would sometimes take the pedialyte, more so when it was a brand new bottle and was still room temperature, he didn't like it once it was chilled in the fridge.  We formula feed, so we had to offer a tablespoon of formula every 10-15 minutes and if he could keep that down for awhile then we could increase little by little until we reached about an ounce every 10-15 minutes.  

We seriously thought it was NEVER going to go away, and we both got sick with it too.  But things slowly got better.  So many of the nights though we would make it through the day without him vomiting, we'd get him into bed for the night and about 30 minutes later he'd throw up all over himself and crying.  So sad seeing them go through this!

Hope you guys are on the mend soon and get through this quickly!!!
  • Options
    It is awful seeing your babies so scared because they don't know what is happening.
    It's a awful, helpless feeling! Hope your LO feels better ASAP! 
  • Options
    @imbrandt  I hope this doesn't last a week