Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Circumcision

At my son's 2 month appt the male doctor pointed out he thinks more skin could have been taken off my son's circumcision. He said "us males are self conscience about that area and to think about having it redone". At every diaper change I do have to push the skin back and it just recovers itself and sometimes the skin even pinches together up over top of the head. Now I've tried doing research and some blog posts say they will grow into it because its a fatty pocket ( ?? ) I have a second opinion appt with a female doctor tomorrow but has anyone else encountered this? I'm kind of scared to put him through getting it redo

Re: Circumcision

• Options
    Both of my sons are not circumcised but I have read/heard that it's good to not cut too much because the skin can* become too tight later on. I personally wouldn't have it redone. But definitly get another opinion. That doesn't hurt. Good luck. 
  • Options
    I mean....does it look weird (weirder than penises look in general)? If it just looks like it's half circumcised, I would definitely not redo the procedure. Many more people are no longer circumcising their sons so it is becoming more "normal." I find it sad if the ped is saying a little extra skin on your son's penis is going to cause him anxiety later in life. It's hard to tell from your post though also I didn't circ my son so FWIW I'm probably biased. Agree with PP to get another opinion! What does your son's dad think?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The Dr who did my sons said he actually had a double foreskin. Not really sure what all that actually entails but maybe yours had something similar? Either way if second opinion confirms what your Dr said I personally would have it fixed now. My understanding is it is much easier now while they are young. Even if it's just for aesthetics I wouldn't want him to be the kid who isn't circumcised but who also isn't not circumcised.
  • Options
    So my husband was right away lets get it done and I asked other mothers who have had boys that I know and they said they never experienced having to push the skin back every diaper change. That their sons just "looked like dad". So we got a second opinion from a woman doctor yesterday and she said she thinks its fine that he just has fat thats pushing the skin forward. But what if the "fat" never goes away. I feel like I need a tie breaker answer now.
  • Options
    I agree with the above post. Why put him through extra pain for something that might not even be an issue? Talk to him about it when he's older and let him decide for himself. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options
    My son was super chubby and his penis was an "innie" for about two years. When you pushed the skin around the outside it would pop out, but then go right back. He didn't have any foreskin issues, but now his penis is totally normal looking and you would never know it ever did that - he is 4. I think it got normal around age 2. I have a friend that has the same issue and a doctor is saying he should get it redone. It does look a little different than my son's did, like more of it is connected or something. However, they are waiting until he is older than 2 years old because he would have to be under anesthesia and they do not recommend babies under 2 go under anesthesia unless it's an emergency situation. I would probably get a second and third opinion and then wait a year or two and decide when he has grown up a little and thinned out. Is it really necessary that they do it right now?
  • Options
    If it's not causing adhesions or infections I'd leave it. My sons was redone and it sucked. My ped asked me a great question: "does it look like your husbands?" If so leave it. If it doesn't it may be an issue later. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    my son has what sounds like the same thing. I asked his pediatrician about it and he also told me it was the fat pushing it and that he will be just fine and happy with it when he is older. 
  • Options
    2-Step2-Step member
    edited April 2016
    Adding - I have a friend that thought for years that her younger son's circumcision was done incorrectly just because it looked different from her husband's and older son's. She had three pedis look at it and finally one doc told her to relax because they all look a little different and he hears a lot of moms with those type of concerns, but in his field he sees many shapes sizes and types and there is no one perfect standard. A lot of moms might not know the wide variation because they haven't had a ton of partners. Like pper said, if it doesn't impede function or look extremely strange after a couple years I would just leave it alone. If it does start to impede function then I would definitely see a urologist before just letting a pedi try to do it again.