Pregnant after 35
Options

Weight gain question

I was gaining weight slowly and consistently and then in the last 11 days I gained 4 pounds. (I'm 25w2d.) My doctor had told me to shoot for a pound a week. I believe it was @createillumination that said her midwife expected more weight gain in the second trimester. Has anyone else experienced a sudden increase in weight that they don't think was food or exercise related? I'm just curious if this is normal, or possibly cause for concern, or I need to adjust my diet to stay on track. I figure I'll weigh myself again in a few days and if it keeps climbing faster than predicted I'll call my doctor. But since I have a forum full of pregnant women and STM's handy, I thought I'd ask!

By the way, I mentioned it to my mom and she blamed processed foods. She brought up the fact that my sister swelled up like crazy the day before she had a c-section and she had been eating hot dogs. I said, "Mom, she had pre-eclampsia. Hot dogs don't cause pre-eclampsia." (facepalm)
TTC#1 since Jan 2015
BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
BFP 8/29/15
  •  CP (age 37)
BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
  •  CP (age 39)
BFP 4/13/18
  •  CP (age 39)
BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
•  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
CP (age 40)
BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

Re: Weight gain question

• Options
    I've definitely learned that pregnancy weight gain is not linear. I gained an enormous amount of weight at the end of second trimester - almost 10 pounds in 4 weeks between 25-29w. I sort of freaked out about it briefly because my OB gave me a lecture about it (well, to be fair to her it was very gentle and brief "lecture"). In fact, I think that @createillumination's words of wisdom were in response to that. However, my weight has plateaued since then and I really haven't gained anything in the past few weeks. I've since read that the biggest increase in blood and placenta volume occurs at the end of second trimester, so it totally makes sense to see a big weight gain then! I wish somewhere I had been told to expect this type of pattern, and that the "1lb per week rule" is only relevant averaged over your whole pregnancy. So in other words, don't worry at all. I'm sure you're totally on track.

And lol to your mom's comment :) No, hot dogs are not to blame. In fact, I ate some last night!
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Options
    Don't worry @carrieandRoy, it's totally normal.  Most blood and fluid makes you jump up at some point. If it consistently happens in the next few weeks then maybe Chat with ur dr. I think the 1lb a week starts around last 5-6 weeks as the babe should be putting on 1/2-1lb a week:) don't stress 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah @CarrieandRoy my midwife specifically mentioned at my last appointment not to expect the weight gain to be linear that there will be
    jumps and lull's, because like you I've been slow and steady so far. It's the wight of the blood volume and placenta increasing like @redheadbride15 said so it's a good sign! I bet restricting calories right now would just make you hangry- the body is hard at work;)
  • Options
    I gained the most in the 1st tri, 15# in the first 4 weeks! I have steadily gained about 6-8# every 4 weeks since then. My Dr. And I are less concerned about the weight gain and more interested in my blood pressure and numbers from blood counts which have so far all been normal despite the fact my weight gain is nearly double what the average is. 

I am a little concerned about taking the weight off after but I plan to breastfeed which I hear can burn up to 500 calories a day. 
  • Options
    I had jumps with my LO too. This time it seems a bit steadier, but for me, it was 2nd and 3rd tri that got unpredictable. I remember one week (ONE week!!!) I gained 7 pounds. I was in my 3rd tri and kept telling my dr I had been eating salad all week (which was true). It was a lot of fluid for me. 35 lbs dropped off in the first 2-3 weeks. 
  • Options
    I'm so glad to hear it! My blood pressure has been fine. It was 108/68 last Wednesday. So I will chalk this up to blood and placenta and not worry about it for now. Thanks everybody!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    At my 19 week apt she told me that I had gained 10 lbs in the last month!!!! I'm not sure if this was actually since my first visit and not really in the last month. I was totally freaked but she kept telling me not to worry. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I gained about 30-35 lbs with both my boys. This baby is a girl and I hate to play into wives tales but seriously, I cannot stop eating! And I feel like I felt at about 7 months (I'm 5)!!
  • Options
    I didn't know about that wives' tale, @kknoll59. I am having a girl, though...
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    The wives tales, that I've always heard anyways, is that "girls steal your beauty". Supposedly those ladies with the cute little basketball bellies that you can't tell are pregnant other than thier sweet little belly. With girls you supposedly, "wear it all over", gain a lot more weight, get acne, etc. While I'm sure it's totally a coincidence, it's been true for me. BUT I also had debilitating heartburn for both my boys and haven't had a touch with this babe :)