LGBT Parenting
Options

Weekly Check-in April 18th

Hi there & Hope everyone has had a great week. Time for a quick catch up, so let us all know how you're getting on. 

In the comments, please post your:
What's happening this week? (appointments, etc)
Any LGBT questions, advice, etc?
QOTW: Thinking about food today. Are there any changes in your meal planning as the days grow longer and warmer? Any particular foods you like to put on the menu again and again for as long as the summer lasts? Do your regular mealtimes change or do you start eating alfresco, perhaps? Recipies always a plus.

Re: Weekly Check-in April 18th

• Options

What's happening this week?  Nothing TTC-related this week.  V's just fighting off a cold this week. :(  We're in the middle of our two-week wait after having attempted our third IUI and will test next Monday unless she starts her period before that. 

None currently 

QOTW:  
    As the weather gets warmer,  we tend to eat lighter, more veggies.
    However, we also eat more ice cream, yikes! V is the chef in our home, so I don't have any recipes or tips to share.
  • Options
    Parent

LO's two month checkup is on Thursday. 

We eat more veggies too. We're finally getting back to making our own food and shopping since the kiddo was born. No recipes, any time I don't eat cereal for dinner is a win. ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @VL2016 Hope V's cold clears up soon (and that you manage to avoid it)

@claireloSC lol. I know exactly what you mean with regards to the cereal. I was especially lucky to have A in the early days. She pre-cut all of my meals so I cut eat everything one handed when necessary but I still ate cereal for dinner at least twice a week.
  • Options
    Hi! I wanna play! 

What's happening this week?  today is the last day of the first trimester! It feels like such a milestone, especially being pregnant with twins!

To those of you that have kids already - was it hard explaining how you got pregnant or why there isn't a dad involved? Do they even care? 

QOTW:  
    corn on the cob, on the grill is our favorite and we will totally make it with every meal if we can get away with it. :)
  • Options
    @sjo&amp;thetwins Hello!

To answer your question,  A and I are UK based and most people here seem hesitant to ask, even if it's clear on their faces they're really interested - I tend to get the same reaction when people find out I'm gay, lol. I think it's just that they are scared of accidentally saying something offensive. It's a fine line between educating those around you and respecting the privacy of both yourselves and your child(ren)
    There was one colleague - who I had had very little to do with up till that point - actually came to me and shyly admitted that she was just starting to ttc and we talked for a while about how she could increase her chances. It took a while but we started to understand each other a little more after that. Other than her though, most focused on the pregnancy part and not the getting there.

I suppose the biggest factor in how you answer these questions is how you feel about discussing the process. You will get asked questions. It's unavoidable. Especially if you are an openly LGBT couple. What we tried to focus on was that we were possibly the first pregnant lesbian couple they knew and as such, we were like ambassadors. It was our chance to normalise it in our circle and community by being open to (respectful) questions. If you show you're comfortable talking about it and answering questions, it becomes less of a big deal. Remember to decide between yourselves beforehand how much information you are comfortable providing and remember that no one has the right to make you give out more information than you want  to.
    As for the nosy-Parkers who had no respect for boundaries; I had a few retorts ready for them.

Not sure if this answers your question but hope it helps some.
  • Options
    @sjo&amp;thetwins Welcome and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!  Hope to see you around each week. :smile: 
  • Options
    claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited May 2016
    Hi! I wanna play! 

What's happening this week?  today is the last day of the first trimester! It feels like such a milestone, especially being pregnant with twins!

To those of you that have kids already - was it hard explaining how you got pregnant or why there isn't a dad involved? Do they even care? 

QOTW:  
    corn on the cob, on the grill is our favorite and we will totally make it with every meal if we can get away with it. :)
    People ask me all the time how we conceived. There is some hesitation like "if you don't mind me asking..." but they clearly don't understand the mechanics. Everyone assumes it's IVF, which annoys me for some reason. I usually explain the whole thing so at least they won't be uneducated about it... @sjo&amp;thetwins
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020