Pregnant after IF

When did your OB start fetal dopplers?

Hey ladies! Question for you all: Tomorrow I have my OB follow up. I will be 12w3d. I swear at our first appointment they told me they won't start doing the fetal doppler until the 2nd trimester.  How early did your OB start this? If they don't do it tomorrow, I won't be back for another month which means baby won't have been checked on for 8 weeks!?! I am NOT comfortable with that! I don't wanna be *that* patient, but I need some sort of assurance!

Re: When did your OB start fetal dopplers?

• I'd be surprised if they didn't, but it for sure is still hard to pick up around that time. I got a doppler at home, and it was very hit or miss still at that point (I also have an anterior placenta).
  • My OB used the doppler for the first time at 14 weeks and easily found what sounded like 2 heartbeats - but I'd also had an ultrasound that week and the heartbeats were exactly the same, so who knows.  This is why I get a quickie ultrasound at each appointment.  :)  I feel like with my first, she found her heartbeat at 12 weeks though.  Good luck.  I hope you get to hear your little one.  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Turns out I had nothing to worry about.  The midwife had the doppler with her when she came in and she found the heart beat, no problem! :)
  • What is the difference between hearing the heartbeat when they do an u/s and with a Doppler? Newbie question here.

Me: 40 | DH: 45 | together 14 years

TTC since 9/2015

• Low AMH (0.1), high FSH (23.7), low AFC (4), low responder to stimulation, given 0.5% chance of being able to conceive
    • High Risk Factors: AMA, APS (antiphospholipid syndrome), obesity, uterine fibroid, rh negative
    • SA: everything excellent
    • Began medicated cycles (clomid, ovidrel, follistim, estrogen, progesterone)
    • 1st IUI: 3/27/16, BFP: 4/11/16, EDD 12/18/16!!!

We trust and pray that God will continue to bless us with a full-term, smooth pregnancy and the delivery of a healthy baby.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ecb3588ecb3588 member
    edited May 2016
    Hey @NenaMommy! When you "hear" the heart beat on an US it is really just an automated noise synced up with the heart beat that can be seen, so it's not really the sound of the actual beat you hear. When they listen externally with a fetal doppler, you are hearing the actual heart beat!