Babies: 6 - 9 Months

6 months and not babbling

DeannapiDeannapi member
edited April 2016 in Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Looking for reassurance.  My dd is now Six months and not babbling. She says some loud aahhhhhh , I'm hearing arraah but defintely no dada etc. She Squeals and giggles but no consonants.  Sometimes I hear "agoo" etc.  I mentioned it to my ped and she suggested getting my daughter's hearing checked. My dh isn't convinced  that anything is wrong with her hearing  and neither am I. She quiets when she hears my voice, she turns to new sounds and is always looking to see where a sound us coming from or who's speaking when there is a new voice around. I've been reading some forums which stated not to be worried about babbling until 7 to 9 mths some suggests it is supposed  to be between 4-6. I guess I just want to know if am alone is my little one the only one behind wi th babbling. She's reached all her milestones on time prior to this. I've decided to give her another month and if no improvement then I'll get her hearing checked. Anyone else going through this?

Re: 6 months and not babbling

• I was worried about this too although our pediatrician said it can take up to 9 months for babbling to start and she wasn't concerned at all. LO started babbling more around 8 months and now hes 10.5 and can say mama and dada. Some babies just take a little longer than others. It doesn't seem like a hearing problem as you describe. I'd probably just wait it out but we have a lax pediatrician I guess! I think waiting a month wouldn't be a big deal. Go with your gut!
  • I was worried about this too although our pediatrician said it can take up to 9 months for babbling to start and she wasn't concerned at all. LO started babbling more around 8 months and now hes 10.5 and can say mama and dada. Some babies just take a little longer than others. It doesn't seem like a hearing problem as you describe. I'd probably just wait it out but we have a lax pediatrician I guess! I think waiting a month wouldn't be a big deal. Go with your gut!

This.
  • Loading the player...
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    My girl is 8 months now. But she didn't really start getting really verbal until 7 months. She can say blah and dada. She can also say mama, but only really says it when crying. I feel that she thinks it means "come here". Lol. She mostly says ahhs. I also agree that the way you described it,  that it doesn't sound like your baby needs a hearing checkup. 
  • mjolkmjolk member
    Just because she can hear sounds doesn't mean she can finely hear them, as in make out words. There is probably nothing wrong with her hearing, but I think getting it checked out in a month is probably a good idea. :)
    -----
    TW: Loss
    EDD: 1/14/2017 : Blighted Ovum : D&C @ 10w6d

• There's nothing wrong with getting her hearing checked... Which would be worse, getting a painless test where she just looks to sounds for a few minutes only to find out everything's fine, or not getting a test and finding out that your baby couldn't hear you all this time when there was something that you can do to help her?

That said, a hearing loss wouldn't be my first guess as to why she is babbling late. I would think something structural or with muscles in her mouth are the more likely possibility. How's her feeding? How old was she when you introduced solid foods? Does/did she have tongue tie? Does she mimic facial expressions that you do? Does she look at you when you interact with her? Does she give eye contact? 6 months isn't super late so she may just be developing at her own pace and her mouth muscles are learning how to work together
  • UPDATE:The dadadas have started.  :). Thanks to all of you for your contributions.