1st Trimester
Options

Paxil during pregnancy???

I am 11 weeks pregnant. I have been on Paxil for 17 years. When I found out I was pregnant I was on 40mg. I've weaned down to 17mg at this point. I know the first 14 weeks are most critical but there is no way I could've stopped cold turkey. The withdrawal is brutal. I'm scared to death that I have harmed my little. Has anyone else been on Paxil during the first trimester or entire pregnancy? Please no guilt or scare tactics. I'm doing the best I can. 

Re: Paxil during pregnancy???

• Options
    My OB said whIle she rather see people off of it, she said 'if you are suicidal or homicidal,  or just not able to function,  I rather you be on something '.

This is one of those 'benefits vs risks things' in my book.
    What has your OB said?
  • Options
    mjolkmjolk member
    Don't worry! While taking Paxil does increase odds of birth defects, it is a very small number. The likelihood of a heart defect goes from 1 percent, to 2, while taking it early in pregnancy. It has been suggested this just might be that these babies are examined early and so things are found that otherwise wouldn't.

There is also an association between late-term and lung problems, but an even smaller risk.

I'm TTC so adjusting my medications myself. It is very difficult getting off of them and now that I've gotten off of one, I'm a wreck and wonder if I would not be better off on it... or if I should try something with less of a risk. :(
    -----
    TW: Loss
    EDD: 1/14/2017 : Blighted Ovum : D&C @ 10w6d

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Another medicine question from the MA. Or OB nurse. Or medical unprofessional. Whichever it was. *mind blown*
  • Options
    Ooh girl Paxil is brutal. I was on it in high school and my mom never got my prescription refilled so I ended up going cold turkey. I think Zoloft is safe during pregnancy? You could see about switching. Good luck, quitting anything cold turkey is worse for your body than weening off.
  • Options
    I was on Citalopram (Celexa) throughout my pregnancy, and it was safe. I know how tough the withdrawal is so I'm hoping your OB has a good solution for you. Wishing you the best!!
  • Options
    I'm taking Zoloft (I have anxiety) and was worried about the risks. My doctor said it's better to take it with a small chance then be stressed and anxious. Ultimately you being healthy is important for a healthy pregnancy. Definitely talk to your doctor and see if they have suggestions for alternative medicines with less risk.
  • Options
    I weaned off Paxil before I got pregnant and it wasn't too bad. I was on a low dose (10mg) though. Talk to your doctor- it might not be as bad as you think.
  • Options
    I was on Prozac and weaned off, my OB offered Zoloft if I felt like I needed it but I'm going to try to make it through without.