Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Needs some help/guidance with my 10 month old

Hi everyone,

My LO has been breast fed since birth. At 6 months we started spoon feeding him. He has never had the bottle and always refused it. Now we are at a point where he is refusing totally to be spoon fed, refuses any solids at all. We try and give him formula in the bottle, a straw bottle and he throws it on the ground and cries in the high chair.

He only wants to breast feed, but my issue is that I am barely making any milk.

What do I do? Anyone have any suggestions, he is constantly hungry, but refusing any solids, even chopped up finger food he turns his head and cries or throws it on the floor. As soon as he sees the spoon he starts screaming.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alex.

Re: Needs some help/guidance with my 10 month old

• Options
    That sounds stressful. What does the pediatrician say? Is he gaining weight okay? Are there any foods he will show a little interest in? Maybe keep doing purees and mix them with breast milk? Have you tried breastmilk in a bottle to get him to try to use it? How about a sippy cup (one without a straw)?
  • Options
    My son was picky as well. I was worried that he wasn't eating enough fruits and vegetables and decided to get creative. I bought some Popsicle molds and started blending together fruits and vegetables with Greek yogurt and freezing them. He loves the Popsicles! His favorites are mango/spinach and peanut butter/banana. It's a fun way to introduce new flavors. My 5 year old loves them too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son did the same thing (refused purees suddenly), so I started scouring sites and found that he might want to feed himself. Rather than doing exclusively purees, I tried a few soft foods he can chew with his gums which he took to right away. I bake sweet potato slices in water to keep them moist/soft then cut them into little pieces, ripe banana pieces, softer cheddar works, etc.. There are also puffs and other store bought finger foods, but I tend to make my own. I also make toast and break it into small pieces as an alternative to puffs.

Once he feeds himself even just a little, you can sneak the puree spoonfuls in there in between. 

You may also consider introducing a sippy cup over a bottle at this point. He might be willing to try it since he can try it on his own and then you can graduate to milk once he has the hang of it. There are transitional ones that work to teach the mechanics and then he can graduate to the style that requires the bite + suction to get it out (they spill less).

Hope that helps!