LGBT Parenting

IuI @ home?

Anyone do iui at home? We have a beautiful daughter who is 15 months. My wife was able
to get Preggo on the first shot. I however had 2 BFN, I took some time off from trying but ready to try again....  I strongly believe that the timing was off via my doctors for many reasons... I have a tracker going via my cell and know when my ovulation will be in the upcoming months... I am
considering IUI at home. Thoughts?? Success stories??  Thanks!!  

Re: IuI @ home?

• It's not recommended as you need a sterile environment and can really hurt yourself. I would do AI at home but not IUI. Ovulation changes cycle to cycle and conceiving takes time. I would use OPKs and inseminate 24 hours after a positive for IUI with frozen sperm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • I've tried IUI at home unsuccessfully.  I do agree with claireloSC, it is better to do with a doctor not only for the sterile environment but also because getting the timing right is key!  Every cycle is different and even with a "regular cycle" ovulation day can be affected by many factors and change from one month to the next.  Frozen sperm only last on average 24hrs so insemination needs to be accurate to give the best possible chance (especially since each vial can be very costly).  GL while TTC :-)
    ME: 28  Wife: 28
    Together since June 2005 - Married May 2015 - TTC since July 2015
    Dx: PCOS and Donor Sperm

**Trigger Warning**
    08/2015 at home IUI = BFN
    IUI #1 - 11/2015 - 50MG Clomid + 100MG Clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    IUI #2 - 12/2015 - 100MG Clomid + 150MG Clomid + Ovidrel = BFP (Miscarried @ 13w3d)
    IUI #3 - 07/2016 - 100MG Clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    IUI #4 - 08/2016 - 100MG Clomid + Ovidrel = ???

• Loading the player...
  • In case you're still considering at home ai, you might want to look into "the stork". It's an otc apparatus that might make it easier (helps to get the sample closer to the cervix and holds it there for several hours). We used it with a fresh donor sample, not frozen, and had good results....might be worth a try...