3rd Trimester

Best books throughout pregnancy

Hi ladies, we are not pregnant yet, however I figured since many of you are towards the end, you would know best. Which books would you recommend to guide you through pregnancy. I've heard ofthe "What to expect" books, are there better ones?

Re: Best books throughout pregnancy

• I seriously like Pregnancy for Dummies.
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the Mayo Clinics guide to pregnancy.  It's more thorough than What to Expect
  • I loved Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth so much that I bought it for my friends who are expecting. It's really focused on getting your mind and body geared up for labor and centered around the concept that labor is a natural process. I love it.

Also, for DH, there is an awesome few chapters in 'Mindful Birthing' about how DH can support you best during labor. (I.e. It's okay to be freaked out and not know everything about birthing, but his job is to manage your space no matter where you deliver. My DH loved reading this!)
  • I bought books and started reading them but never finished. Books are over rated IMO. I listened to pod casts while working out at the gym, read highlights on this app, then asked my OB any questions. 
  • I really liked Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy...it was informative, but light, honest, & funny. I found it less intimidating than What To Expect. 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

SaveSave
  • I have hated each and every pregnancy book I have started to read. I hated What to Expect (the most), Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, The Natural Pregnancy Book, From the Hips, The Healthy Pregnancy Book, The Everything Vegan Pregnancy Book, The Expectant Father, Dude You're Gonna Be a Dad, and I initially liked Kind Mama by Alicia Silverstone, but because I'm not vegan eventually tired of her agenda and feathery language. All of these books were riddled with other people's opinions and when presenting controversial information didn't present all viewpoints. Some of these included outdated information- being overly conservative without explaining they were doing so. From the Hips presented many opposing viewpoints and basically said "everything is normal" and was therefore not especially useful... I decided that we're all individuals and no book is going to tell me what's right or best for me. Pregnancy books are good references, but IMO none of them has all the answers and it's best to consider multiple viewpoints by referencing many pregnancy books with opposing opinions to get a more well-rounded picture.
  • My doula suggested Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth. I am halfway through and loving it. I want to try for an unmedicated birth and so far it's a collection of home birthing stories. I find it very touching and empowering. 
  • I think my favorite thing to have on hand thus far is The Pregnant Body Book. It's more of an anatomy book than it is a guide, but I like that because I'm one of those people who needs to know exactly what is happening and when, and this book has lots of charts and illustrations to help me understand pregnancy better. It was also extremely popular at the library I worked at last - we kept about five copies on hand just so we had enough to rotate out, which is how it got onto my radar. I was constantly putting those books back up. 

What to Expect wasn't too bad, either. It has answers to some questions that I didn't know I had, and a lot of questions that I did. Pregnancy Sucks is a slightly more sarcastic version, with less detail. It got me through the hyperemesis in my first trimester. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Girlfriends Guide is HILARIOUS!! There are a few versions out, and I've read 2 of them (not sure which editions though off the top of my head), and they're the same for the most part, but the newer ones have a few things that are different. Easy read and kind of makes light of what you'll be going through over the 9 month span of growing a human and what happens after.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • KASGKASG member
    I currently have the Bradley Method book and some other natural childbirth book. Suffice it to say I haven't read either very much yet. But do an amazon search and then read the reviews.
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• I have a book called The Everything Guide to pregnancy. I believe that's the name, anyway. Not at home so can't double check. It's been pretty nifty, though. Has symptom checkers, journal pages, a calender, Dr visit trackers, as well as a month by month guide. I use it more than what to expect, tbh