New York Babies
Options

Getting worried about the Zika Virus spreading to Nyc

Hey other mommys-to-be, am i the only one who is getting worried about the zika Virus making its way to nyc. Im not due till after Summer so that means dealing with the pestering mosquitoes. Normally i wouldn't  stress over a lil bite but after watching the news and seeing the affects of Zika on babies, I'm  terrified this is my first and im trying not too stress for my jelly bean but its scary to think one lil bite can damage the development of your childs brain & theres nothing you can do about it. Is anyone else worried?

Re: Getting worried about the Zika Virus spreading to Nyc

• Options
    I haven't heard anything about it coming to NYC, but certainly would understand your fears if it is. Did you read somewhere that it is coming to NYC or are you just having general pregnancy anxiety?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The species of mosquito that can transmit Zika doesn't live up here, so we'll be fine.  Even if people who acquired Zika elsewhere get bitten by mosquitoes in New York, those mosquitoes can't transmit the virus.  Nothing to worry about!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IB113IB113 member
    natashaSG said:
    The species of mosquito that can transmit Zika doesn't live up here, so we'll be fine.  Even if people who acquired Zika elsewhere get bitten by mosquitoes in New York, those mosquitoes can't transmit the virus.  Nothing to worry about!
    This is incorrect.
  • Options
    There are currently no cases of Zika in the metropolitan area that haven't been contracted by someone going to an affected area or having sex with someone who has been to an infected area. The only place that has Zika in the US currently is one county in Miami, FL. I spoke to my OB about all of this, and she said it is highly unlikely it will spread this far north during my pregnancy (due 3/29/17). She also said that the first trimester is the one that would be most affected by being infected with Zika, so even if you are bitten later in pregnancy, there is a much lower chance of the baby developing microcephaly. She went on to say that if it makes me feel better to be safe, use a bug spray with DEET, avoid being out at dawn and dusk, and wear long sleeves and long pants. I'm choosing to avoid those times of day and wear DEET when I do need to be out then. 

Talk to your doctor and then do what makes you feel safe.