Military Families

Any National Guard reservists or wives?

I'm just popping over from June 16 because my husband is considering joining the Natuonal Guard in addition to his full time federal government job. It's not for the money or benefits, it's just something he's always wanted to do, and at 33 this might be the only chance he has to join as an officer. 

We have two kids, and one die in June. Joining now would probably mean basic training while the baby was being born. He really, really wants this. I'm not thrilled about it, but trying to be supportive. 

I would love love to hear experiences, tips, advice about this. He would enter as an O-1 I guess, and will find out what BOS tomorrow after he finishes MEPS (is that what it's called? Sorry, don't know all the terms yet). It's a 6/2 agreement he would sign up for if he does. 

I would be so greatful for any insight or anything you might offer.

thank you!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Any National Guard reservists or wives?

• What aren't you thrilled about?  Are you near family...the nice thing is even if he is gone you will have what support system you have already built.  

My husband is active duty and my parents are 3 hours away so I am hoping with the new orders coming up they will keep us where we are till after the baby comes cause it would be easier for the support.  Have you looked on getting on other military forums for more information and support?  
  • My family is 3 hours away, but my parents both work and my oldest is in school, so we only see each other a couple days every month or two. Not helpful with things like watching the kids etc. 

im waiting to join any forms of things till I find out if he makes it to basic training. I'm just trying to keep myself from worrying now by gathering information. 

Things I'm not thrilled about:
    he would most likely be at boot camp when I give birth.

He will have to do officer school, which is either every weekend for 18 months, or 2 straight months where he will be away.

Deploymnt potential, obviously. For his safety, and for the kids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...

• I can understand deployment and all but on your own time you will figure out how to deal with that....no one can tell you the right or wrong way.  Everyone handles that differently.  When it comes to the military and missing things there is never a promise that they will be home for everything.  You can see it this way...he was home for the other two births and with technology he might be able to catch some of the third if he can't make it home.  When I had my first son there was a chance my husband was not going to be home due to a project.  But they managed to keep him home.  Even with my upcoming birth in Oct there might be a chance he might take orders sooner and leave me behind and he will miss the birth.  For me that sucks but honestly there isn't much I can do about it...but that is how I have dealt with much of his military career.  

Personally I would rather take the 2 months vs the 18 weekends.  My husband went through one of the toughest aviation programs in the world for 10 months.  Only time I really truly got to see him was on saturdays.  Sure he was home every night but he wasn't home. I would rather have taken a 7 month long deployment than go through that school again.  

• Personally I would rather take the 2 months vs the 18 weekends.  My husband went through one of the toughest aviation programs in the world for 10 months.  Only time I really truly got to see him was on saturdays.  Sure he was home every night but he wasn't home. I would rather have taken a 7 month long deployment than go through that school again.  

I know what you mean about the home but not home. My DH recently finished A school for AECF. Our son was born during Christmas stand down but a week later classes resumed so it was really just me taking care of DS. 
    We found out we were expecting while he was in boot camp, across the country, and we weren't married at the time so I couldn't move out there until about a month after we married then I had DS 2 weeks later. I visited DH twice at Great Lakes before moving. It was really hard to be physically separated in light of all of the changes taking place all at once. However, he did write me letters almost every day from boot camp, so I'm not sure whether I'd pick deployment over school. We have more school coming up in mid fall when he PCS
  • Ok I am super late on responding because I haven't been been on here lately since this board isn't very active although I guess you've noticed that by now. So, hopefully you will still see this/it still matters to you. Did your husband end up joining? I am army national guard and my husband is in the reserves/prior active duty army with a gap in service in between. We have a 6 month old and it is hard. I am actually about to make a post on trying to get out with the family care plan. Was your baby born yet? Oh and can I just say that you put die instead of due and for a minute I misunderstood and felt so sad for you!!! Ok so anyway though, see if your husband's unit has an frg. They most likely do. Frg=family readiness group and you can hopefully meet other wives nearby who are in your situation or have been before. You can also volunteer to help with events and stuff with the unit (I.e. Christmas party) to be connected. I will be checking back to see if you responded!