Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Eczema Baby

Any moms out there have a baby suffering from mild to severe eczema? My poor girl started getting dry patches on her little cheeks when she turned three months. She is now 5 months and has very weepy, red eczema and I don't know what to do anymore. It's so heartbreaking. Right now she is taking antibiotics and has a dermatologist appointment coming soon. Hopefully, I find some answers from the doctors. Her eczema has been very up and down. There was one week where her skin was clear and it looked like it was going away and then it came back with a vengeance! Any mommy's out there with any advice?? :'(

Re: Eczema Baby

• Options
    DD has extremely mild eczema on her back and legs that we've been treating with Vaseline and it hasn't gotten worse and cleared totally from her legs. However our pedi said he'd prescribe a steroid cream if it got like you're describing. Hopefully you get some answers and the doctor can help clear your LO's up. 
  • Options
    Aquaphor is really good for keeping the skin moist. I use that mixed with a prescription steroid cream.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were given steroid cream as well but were told to only use it for 5 days and only on her body. It was working really well and then the day after we stopped using it, her little weepy areas on her body got weepy again. For her face before it got infected, we were using aquaphor and it helped a bit. Idk what happened. One night I guess she just rubbed her face too hard and the next morning it was really red and it's been like that ever since.
  • Options
    My doctor prescribed us 2.5% hydrocortisone cream that we are supposed to mix 50/50 with eucerin. It has been working wonders, before that I tried every otc creams and nothing seemed to help.
  • Options
    @nbossio we were prescribed that same one and it was working wonders as well but the doctor said to only use it for five days. Eucerin hasn't helped at all for baby. It burned her face when I would apply it so I stopped...I still use it sometimes on her body to keep her mosturized but it doesn't do much.
  • Options
    My son had terrible eczema on his cheeks as well starting around 2 months. It turned out his was caused by food allergies he was being exposed to through breast milk. We ended up seeing a paedi that specializes in allergies.. maybe something to explore? 
  • Options
    @shannon yeah the doctor said it could be an allergy to her formula so we most likely have to switch it up to something hypoallergenic. How's your baby's cheeks now? Did that help?
  • Options
    He's now two. His eczema didn't go away completely till I stopped nursing but it became more mild. He does have anaphylactic allergies to dairy, egg, sesame and mustard currently so those were likely the culprit while nursing. The Dr wanted us to use Nutrimagen but he hated it. Hoping your lo doesn't have allergies
  • Options
    Dealing with this myself. LO was prescribed a steroid oil for all over and 2.5% hydrocortisone cream for the dry red patches. So far it's working well. I have a thread going on the 6-9 month board and a few moms suggested different otc lotions.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    My daughter has mild eczema. The only thing that works for her skin is Dove Hypoallergenic bar soap and after her bath I rub her down in A&D ointment. It completely cleared her skin. And she's on Alimentum Formula. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My LO had excema from food allergies. It took a good 2 months to clear up after I cut things out of my diet. I am also supplementing with hypoallergenic formula. I would say to stick with it because I did not see any immediate or even semi quick change. In the meantime I used vitamin E oil for a rub down 4-5 times a day, thankfully day care was willing to rub him down at his diaper changes if he looked dry. 

His excema cleared up eventually, this weekend I have him a bottle of breastmilk with dairy in it and it came back within a few hours so I am certain that is what it was from
  • Options
    DS had it since 8mo and is now 6 yrs. We have literally tried everything. LO has it since 6 wks. The steroid cream is just a jump start. The best is to keep the skin moisturized. We use aquaphor. We use it twice a day and sometimes 3 if needed. Don't bathe your LO as much. When you do bathe her, pat her with a towel, a little and put any creams you decide to use, while her skin is still damp. Then get her dressed and it will lock in the moisture. When DS' hands get bad, I slather them in aquaphor and put gloves or mittens on him overnight. 

Sometimes some foods or environmental allergens can trigger it so if it continues, you may want to have her tested. It's kind of invasive though. Would hate to put LO through it if it wasn't necessary. 

Poor LOs and mamas. Eczema sucks!
  • Options
    My son has it on his legs. Sometimes it's worse than others. I put lotion on him every night after his bath. Some days it keeps it under control. I am taking a prenatal vitamins yet because I am breastfeeding and in addition to that a vitamin c pill. I find that when I take the vitamin c it tends to break out a little more so I started to limit it. If you are breastfeeding it could be what you are eating. You may find certain things will make it worse. 
  • Options
    Just seeing this. A baby in my family has eczema and the only thing that helped was mom (EBF) eliminating dairy. Baby is a couple years old now and still dairy-free and on the rare occasion she gets her little hands on dairy, she breaks out.

Eliminating dairy completely helps a lot of people with eczema. 
  • Options
    My son had it so bad at one point right next to his lips that the doctor's thought it was a peanut allergy - we couldn't get it to go away. Now, my daughter has it, we have been using coconut oil mixed with frankincense essential oil and lavender and we have had a lot of success.

I would also see if taking away parts of the diet are beneficial to rule out any type of allergy! It ended up not being a peanut allergy with our son, but an allergy is always a problem.
    Alicia
    Mom to Three Sweet Things
    Lifestyle Blog and Health and Wellness
  • Options
    My little guy has it pretty bad, but coconut oil in his baths AND rubbed all over his skin afterwards has helped! We also switched to soy formula after a couple ped appointments. Will be reintroducing dairy formula again soon though. 
  • Options
    We cut down the number of baths and lotion at least 2x a day. Aveano with the colloidal oatmeal was the only thing that worked for my brother so that's what we use. By the time I asked the dr at his appointment she said that she couldn't tell and I was doing everything she recommends. 
  • Options
    I feel your pain... I feel so bad for LO and I know it came from me! He was also on antibiotics with a steroid cream. We now use aquaphor baby in the jar and it's like a Vaseline. He gets it all over him every night before bed and put in his jammies. We do still have to use the cream on his cheeks a couple times a week but he's also teething and drooling like crazy! Good luck!
  • Options
    Aveeno Baby eczema therapy has worked for my LO, tried a few others that did nothing but the colloidal oatmeal seems to make the difference