High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

gastroschischisis?

Hey ladies I just had my first ultrasound last week at 12 weeks and they said that my babies intestines aren't all the way in yet.
The doctor said not to worry but I am extremely worried. Does anyone else have experience with this???
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: gastroschischisis?

• Options
    I'm sorry your stressing out :( although I do not have experience with this my doctor did tell me a little bit about it at one of my appointments in the beginning of my pregnancy. He said sometimes all the organs are outside the belly rather than inside, I think he mentioned that smoking or being very thin can be some factors involved but not always the case. And most times they just eventually go back in with no issues :) I've ever heard of babies (in extreme worst case scenarios) where the baby is born with his organs outside his body and they do a surgery to put everything back into place with an extremely high survival rate :) 
    Hopefully this helps rather than scare you but technogoly and medicine these days are amazing. I think you lo is in good Hands :)

• Options
    Thank you for your kind words, I have been trying very hard to stay calm!
    Thankfully I live right near an amazing amazing children's hospital so *if* anything were to happen I know it would be okay.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    avanderlavanderl member
    edited March 2016
    Hi, I just saw this post. I hope you have been able to get some answers since posting. my LO also has gastroschisis. I am seeing a MFM as well as my regular OB. The MFM described her gastroschisis as being very "average". I was told that I  will need to deliver at a hospital with a NICU an hour from home and she will need to stay in the hospital between 4-8 weeks while she has surgery to put everything in place. The MFM also said that this is becoming more common and happens most often to thin, young women. Also, gastroschisis usually doesn't have much for long term effects. The CDC has some really good information about it all on their website.

ETA: I'm 22 weeks and found out about his at my anatomy scan at 19 weeks.
  • Options
    We had this show up at our first ultrasound as well. We were told not to worry by the tech that it was still developmentally normal at that point. My dr on the other hand was more concerned and sent us to a MFM for a follow up. By our next ultrasound thankfully the intestines were all in the proper place! It was a very scary stressful time waiting to see how everything would turn out. To be honest to this day ultrasounds are a bit stress inducing for me!  

Do you have an update?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Oh gosh I swore I posted an update!
    On March 25th we found out that Everything is FINE!  
    Thank goodness everything cleared up and closed up. I was trying my hardest not to worry but when they brought us to a separate room this time to wait for the doctor I was shaking like a leaf!
    When he told us that everything was normal I just burst into tears.

Thank you for all your support!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just went for my 12 week scan and found out my baby's intestines are not in their belly yet and have another ultra sound scheduled in more weeks. Can I ask how many weeks u were at ur first ultra sound and then how many when everything was ok? 
  • Options
    i was 12 weeks at the first and they checked me at 18 weeks and everything was fine :) sorry I am seeing this so late @nikkid1127
    Pregnancy Ticker