October 2016 Moms
Options

Those prescribed Diclegis...

How did it go for you?  I am on a low dosage of zofran right now but its not really working.  I went to my appt today and they gave me a sample of Diclegis and heard its much better.  Anyone on it and how is it working for you?

Re: Those prescribed Diclegis...

• Options
    I've been on it for 4 weeks or so and it's been great. It was rough at first because I was only taking 2 pills per night, and by 4PM the next day I would feel horrible again. Once I was increased to 4 pills per day, it was a whole new world. I still have a little nausea if I don't eat every 2 hours or so, but it's allowed me to get back to my normal life. I have a panic disorder that manifests from nausea/fear of vomiting, so this really has been a life saver! Doesn't hurt that I also sleep well at night :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was on diclegis for almost my entire pregnancy in 2014. My nausea was awful--coming on strong as soon as I'd open my eyes until I would finally fall asleep at night. Diclegis definitely helped take the edge off for me. I was still pretty sick throughout my pregnancy, but it helped me actually function. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's a lifesaver. I was hospitalized last week for severe dehydration. I could not keep fluids down at all. I'm back at work today. Still nauseated and throwing up from time to time, but nothing insurmountable. 
    TTGP August Siggy Challenge: Best Movie Insults
    AbominationStupid head

Lilo and Stitch (2002)     
  • Options
    @LizD317, I also suffer from emetophobia! Therapy helped a lot, but it still sneaks up on me from time to time.
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    LizD317 said:
    I've been on it for 4 weeks or so and it's been great. It was rough at first because I was only taking 2 pills per night, and by 4PM the next day I would feel horrible again. Once I was increased to 4 pills per day, it was a whole new world. I still have a little nausea if I don't eat every 2 hours or so, but it's allowed me to get back to my normal life. I have a panic disorder that manifests from nausea/fear of vomiting, so this really has been a life saver! Doesn't hurt that I also sleep well at night :)

I also suffer from the same panic/anxiety issues! I love hearing that I'm not the only one. But unfortunately, as you know, it makes morning sickness that much worse. My nausea last week was so terrible I barely went to work and couldn't do anything. I am taking Zofran which is helping because it prevents me from throwing up. And thankfully this week is starting to be much much better. 

To answer PP's question, I did try diclegis for a couple days. It made me sooooooooo tired during the day that I stopped taking it. I will say this was also while I was eating very little and very weak in general, so I'm not sure if it would be better now that I'm eating more. But I switched to the simple B6 + Unisom combo at night which helps with my night nausea and I'm still taking Zofran 4 mg four times a day :( (I wish I wasn't.... I feel so guilty taking it but my nausea and my anxiety is too unmanagable without it). I will add that last week when my nausea was at its worst (so far), the Zofran wasn't helping too much. :( 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Also @lizd317 do you find that the diclegis knocks you out during the day, esp taking 4 pills? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just started taking Diclegis on Friday and today (Monday) is the first day in almost a week I didn't throw up, so I think it is starting to help.  I tried also taking it in the morning over the weekend but it made me drowsy all day, and I needed to function at work today, so I'm trying to just take it overnight now.  I'm hoping it continues to help!  I still felt a little nausea on and off, but the fact that I didn't throw up (and was able to eat more normally) was a huge improvement.

I didn't have any morning sickness at all with my daughter, it's amazing how different this pregnancy has been already.  For those of you who have taken Diclegis before, how did you know when you were ready to stop taking it? Did you just take it through the first trimester and then test going off of it?
  • Options
    jrmint427 said:
    I just started taking Diclegis on Friday and today (Monday) is the first day in almost a week I didn't throw up, so I think it is starting to help.  I tried also taking it in the morning over the weekend but it made me drowsy all day, and I needed to function at work today, so I'm trying to just take it overnight now.  I'm hoping it continues to help!  I still felt a little nausea on and off, but the fact that I didn't throw up (and was able to eat more normally) was a huge improvement.

I didn't have any morning sickness at all with my daughter, it's amazing how different this pregnancy has been already.  For those of you who have taken Diclegis before, how did you know when you were ready to stop taking it? Did you just take it through the first trimester and then test going off of it?
    I was told take 2 at night because it does make you sleepy.  if you need some during the day take 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon to get to bedtime. I took 2 last night and got much better sleep.
  • Options
    cd92007 It definitely does make me sleepy during the day, but after the first 2-3 days of 4 pills/day it was manageable. I try to take the first pill when I get up around 6 AM, then the second around 12:30. The biggest change for me now is that I wear my glasses more vs contacts, since I wipe my eyes a lot. But I've never fallen asleep or had concerns working/driving. I upped the dose on a Saturday so I had the weekend to feel extra sleepy - by Monday I was good to go!

The emetophobia definitely adds another unwelcome layer to the equation. After consulting with my therapist and OB, the benefits of continuing with my (as needed) medication seemed to outweigh the risks. I am happy to say, however, that the Diclegis has helped me enough with the nausea that I don't need to take my anxiety meds. This is HUGE for me, especially since I had to miss a week of work during week 5 since my MS was so severe.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lizd317 I also missed a week of work due to m/s. We are kindred spirits ha! I'm still taking Lexapro 5 mg because I'm still pretty anxious with this pregnancy :( 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been taking it since week 6, and while it hasn't been a miracle cure, it has helped.  I have some ok days like today where I actually feel human (albeit with underlying nausea still), and some bad days like yesterday where I am incredibly nauseated an throw up multiple times.  I will say I was on zofran last time, and I don't know about you OP but it made me VERY constipated.  To the point where I stopped taking it several times because I couldn't take it anymore.  Dicelgis has caused zero issues in that department.  I wouldn't go into it expecting it to make you symptom-free, although it does work fabulously for some.  I think some people, myself included, are so very sick from pregnancy that there is no medication that will take all symptoms away.  Good luck!

@jrmint427 I went off zofran cold turkey during my first pregnancy to test the waters and see if I was better, and I really don't recommend that method.  I got incredibly ill trying it.  Depending on your dosage, I would slowly wean yourself off and check your symptoms.  For example, I am on 4 pills/day.  Once (if) my symptoms clear up, I'll probably first stop the afternoon pill, wait for symptoms, then after a couple days lose the AM pill, then after a day or 2 go down to 1 pill at night and finally to zero.  Hope that helps!  It's really trial and error, the end of 1st tri isn't the magic end date for everyone.

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @sidecarsareforbishes Thanks!  I will keep that in mind and try backing down one pill at a time. I'm trying to just take the two pills before bed.  Yesterday wasn't so bad, today I had waves of nausea but didn't throw up, much better than last week so far. I'm optimistic that the morning sickness won't last past the first tri!
  • Options
    @jrmint427 for me so far I took only 1 last night and when I got up took a zofran (my doc's office approved it) And it has been great so far.  
  • Options
    Has anyone else had a problem with extreme drowsiness when taking Diclegis? I've been taking Meclizine daily since week 6 and it works great for me. I can function with it and it doesn't make me super drowsy. I was initially given Zofran by my dr.'s office over the phone, but they switched me to Diclegis yesterday. I quit the Meclizine and Zofran (I only have to take the Zofran as needed, maybe every other day if I'm feeling extra crappy) and took the Diclegis last night. I had probably the worst night of sleep yet with nausea and dizziness. When I woke up I took another one because there was no way I was going to make it out of bed other than to barf, but I still felt about as bad as I did when the m/s started a few weeks ago and it knocked me out for several hours. I'm thinking the Diclegis isn't going to work for me and there's no way I can go to work while on it, I need as much mental alertness as I can get.
  • Options
    @brynb2 I had the exact same issue. I tried taking it a handful of days but couldn't continue because I could barely get out of bed. Honestly, I'm taking Zofran every day and that is what works for me. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The diclegis is pretty strong and has 10mg of doxylamine in it. I "make" my own low dose diclegis by quartering a 25mg unisom, so I am only taking 6.25mg of doxylamine. I take this with a 25mg vitamin b6 (made by quartering a 100mg tablet) three times a day. I feel a world of difference and have been nearly nausea free for 4 days now. A $5 pill splitter is saving my life right now!
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I am taking zofran and it isn't hleping. I am good to call the Dr tomorrow to ask about trying diclegis. I am desperate at this point. I can't function. 

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    **** lurking from June 16

i was prescribed diclegis around 16 weeks (I'm 28 now) and still on it. It's a lifesaver. I only need the two pills before bed. If I miss a dose or take it later than usual I definitely feel a difference and begin to get sick. Just a heads up that you might have to insurnace on approving it as there is no generic for it. My OBs office found a loophole for me because my insurnace told me "I wasn't sick enough and haven't tried enough meds to warrant diclegis" Uh, no. Plus it's a class A Drug so no side effects to worry about for you and baby! 

DD1 born 11/2014

DD2 born 6/2016

• Options
    Thanks. Glad to know it's not just me. I'm not even going to waste my time or money getting the prescription filled since I won't be taking it. The reality is I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to nausea/vomiting and it pretty much stops me dead in my tracks. I'm just praying the morning sickness goes away after the first trimester.
  • Options
    I took it once before bed and it made me feel so drowsy the next morning and while I was brushing my teeth, I got the closest you can possibly get to fainting. My hearing went, blacked out, but I was able to get my head between my knees and take deep breaths before I actually lost consciencenous. I don't know if it had to do with the medication, but I'm scared to death to try it again. 
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014