Trying to Get Pregnant

Supplements to aid conception

The TWW/WTO posts are filled with ladies taking supplements (green tea, VitC, VitB, EPO, pineapple, grapefruit juice, etc) to aid conception, help with CM, lengthen luteal phase, etc. 
I'd like to have this thread to reference what others are doing and determine what may help each of us. 
I tried asking in WTO/TWW, but didn't get any responses. I know some supplements may help at certain points in the cycle, and be detrimental at others, so I'm trying to keep track of these. 
So, feel free to list what you're taking, when and why!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Supplements to aid conception

• I'm taking EPO from CD1 until O. I don't take it after O because it can cause uterine contractions and cause problems with implantation. I use it for poor CM production. Normally I rarely have CM or only had the thick gross CM. With EPO, I have more abundant and more fertile CM.
  • Kay6519 said:
    I'm taking EPO from CD1 until O. I don't take it after O because it can cause uterine contractions and cause problems with implantation. I use it for poor CM production. Normally I rarely have CM or only had the thick gross CM. With EPO, I have more abundant and more fertile CM.
    Have you seen any research on EPO causing/worsening high BP?  I was induced with DS for gestational hypertension which showed up right around the same time I began taking EPO to prepare my cervix. I have no idea if there was a correlation or not, but I did peruse a study a while back about it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • According to the Mayo Clinic's page is lowers blood pressure. I haven't seen anything about raising BP before.

• I take baby aspirin for my APS which is a blood clotting disorder. I have issues with early loss because of it and it's supposed to assist in making the lining of my uterus better for implantation. I also take progesterone post ovulation to help with luteal phases deficiency since my lining of my uterus likes to shed before the egg can properly implant. Don't take either of these without a doctors recommendation/prescription. 
    Me: 23 | DH: 27
    Married: 10.11.15
    MC #1: June 2014
    MC #2: December 2015
    APS Diagnosis: February 2016
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • I take my prenatal + DHA. I have low iron so I take an additional iron supplement with vitamin C to help absorption. I take an extra B vitamin (B100 complex) to help with LP length. I don't know if it did anything for my LP length but I just feel better when I take it. I drink green tea from AF to O. It is supposed to help increase fertile CM. I naturally have a lot of fertile CM so I don't know if it actually does anything, but I like green tea so I figured I might as well drink it for a week each cycle.
  • Right now I take folic acid and vitamin D supplement. I am on the hunt for a good prenatal and might just get the Target brand since a lot of ladies on here seem to like it. 
  • edited March 2016
    Prenatal + DHA gummy: entire cycle
    Iron: EOD entire cycle (I hemorrhage with any birth or loss), ED causes constipation
    Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc: entire cycle for general fertility and to help metabolism
    Extra Folic Acid: entire cycle 3x a day because the body can't store it, it needs to be in the blood, whatever isn't used is pissed out.
    Vitamin D entire cycle because I'm chronically deficient even taking 4,000IU a day (ETA: Yes, this is tested regularly)
    Guaifenesin 600mg slow release: FW only to thin/increase CM 
    (ETA not a supplement, but
    SAD 10,000 lux lamp: 1hr each morning AF-O to increase FSH & LH)

Not taking now but:
    B6 100mg: I used to take entire cycle to increase LP. It added 3 days. It isn't an issue anymore though.
  • I take Mucinex (guiafenesen) for about a week before I think I'm going to O, otherwise I don't really have fertile CM. I only take one dose (that's for every 12 hours) a day, and I stop when I think I've O'ed.

and just a prenatal and extra calcium (at different ends of the day) because I don't get very much calcium in my diet.
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• Prenatal + DHA gummy: entire cycle
    Iron: EOD entire cycle (I hemorrhage with any birth or loss), ED causes constipation
    Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc: entire cycle for general fertility and to help metabolism
    Extra Folic Acid: entire cycle 3x a day because the body can't store it, it needs to be in the blood, whatever isn't used is pissed out.
    Vitamin D entire cycle because I'm chronically deficient even taking 4,000IU a day
    Guaifenesin 600mg slow release: FW only to thin/increase CM 
    (ETA not a supplement, but
    SAD 10,000 lux lamp: 1hr each morning AF-O to increase FSH & LH)

Not taking now but:
    B6 100mg: I used to take entire cycle to increase LP. It added 3 days. It isn't an issue anymore though.
    Interesting. Do you have a reference to support this? What does an increase in FSH and LH do (assuming you are ovulating regularly)?
  • PennStateCaitPennStateCait member
    edited March 2016
    Stupid question... don't judge me. I hate going to the doctor.

For all of you saying you have a deficiency in something, did a GP diagnose that or OBGYN? I have an OBGYN and not a GP right now. I'm moving in four months and don't feel like finding a GP.

So essentially my question is, can I ask for an OBGYN or Urgent Care place to run some bloodwork for me to find out if I have an iron, vitamin D or whatsoevery deficiency?

edit: I can't spell

Me: 28  DH: 28
    TTC #1 since Nov. 2015
    Dx: Both tubes blocked, PCOS, DOR, RPL
    IVF Cycle #1 Dec. 2016 - 11R·11M·5F - Transferred 2 - BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    IVF Cycle #2 March 2017 - 5R·4M·3F - Transferred 1 -  BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    Instagram: KateDoesIVF

• @LadyMillil The link I have is from a rather small study I came across years ago. The article that referenced it described a bunch of cubicle workers who were disproportionately anovulatory. They had little to no natural light exposure in their work environments. The light therapy helped a bunch of them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1851732/ 

In the end, it's light and doesn't hurt. My doc recommends light therapy in winter months anyway, I'm just more diligent about it while WTO. So far during cycles I've used it faithfully, I've O'd a bit earlier; CD13-16 vs CD18-20 without it. Otherwise I only do light therapy if it's going to be overcast and closer to 20min vs an entire hour.

• @PennStateCait

I have Multiple Sclerosis so my neurologist is checking my blood every 6 months, especially my vitamin d levels. I'm always below the normal range. I'd say when you settle in after your move and find a new doctor, OB or otherwise, definitely ask for blood work! Also, it's safe to assume your vitamin D deficient. Most people are just due to lack of sunshine during the winter months. Couldn't hurt to start a low dose supplement.
  • edited March 2016
    @PennStateCait

I have Multiple Sclerosis so my neurologist is checking my blood every 6 months, especially my vitamin d levels. I'm always below the normal range. I'd say when you settle in after your move and find a new doctor, OB or otherwise, definitely ask for blood work! Also, it's safe to assume your vitamin D deficient. Most people are just due to lack of sunshine during the winter months. Couldn't hurt to start a low dose supplement.

Nope nope nope. It's never safe to assume you're deficient in anything. That can potentially lead to vitamin toxicity and is a horrible choice. Talk to your doctor rather than self-diagnosing a vitamin deficiency.

That said, @PennStateCait, your OB would likely help you if you have concerns about vitamin deficiencies or anything else. We moved last year and I didn't have a PCP before we started TTC. My OB did a pre-conception appointment where we discussed any concerns I had and she would've run a standard CBC if I (or she) was interested or concerned.

• @PennStateCait

Nope nope nope. It's never safe to assume you're deficient in anything. That can potentially lead to vitamin toxicity and is a horrible choice. Talk to your doctor rather than self-diagnosing a vitamin deficiency.

That said, @PennStateCait, your OB would likely help you if you have concerns about vitamin deficiencies or anything else. We moved last year and I didn't have a PCP before we started TTC. My OB did a pre-conception appointment where we discussed any concerns I had and she would've run a standard CBC if I (or she) was interested or concerned.
    Don't worry, I won't start anything without consulting a professional! As the palest irish girl ever though who avoids the sun, it's quite likely I lack vitamin d so I will bring this concern up to my OB.

Back in July I did a pre-conception appt... we did bloodwork. I think she just checked for... Idk some genetic test. I didn't pay attention, I was too busy passing out like I do every time I get bloodwork done. I'll call again this month and ask if there's any additional bloodwork we can do as I'm approaching month 6 of ttc and see if there were any results that they gathered from my last tests. Worth a try. Thank you @mrsdaddario and @littlemisstimelord!

TTC #1 since Nov. 2015
    IVF Cycle #1 Dec. 2016 - 11R·11M·5F - Transferred 2 - BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    IVF Cycle #2 March 2017 - 5R·4M·3F - Transferred 1 -  BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left

• @PennStateCait I had a pre-conception appointment with my PCP and mentioned that I was tired and cold all the time. She did a bunch of tests and found the iron deficiency so she prescribed OTC iron supplements for me. I didn't have an OB at the time. A standard prenatal should cover all the extra vitamins and minerals you'll need while TTC/pregnant.
  • @PennStateCait Interesting fact: Actually the more pale your complexion, the less exposure to sunlight your body needs to make the vitamin D it needs. It is darker complaxioned people who have a tendency to be more deficient in vitamin D because their skin's pigmentation is better suited to blocking the sun's rays.
  • @Kay6519 That IS a fun fact!!! How exciting! Finally an advantage to being pale. 

TTC #1 since Nov. 2015

• @PennStateCait

Yes, I'm sorry, it IS best to consult your doctor first. I'm so used to hearing everyone around me say, oh yeah I take a d supp because my levels are low. But I never thought of the vitamin toxicity thing because I don't doctor lol. 
  • MrsDramaKMrsDramaK member
    edited March 2016
    I take the One a Day with DHA supplement because that has most of the vitamins in it that studies show aid conception.  Then on top of that I take B6 because studies show women who take 10 mg or more of B6 a day are less likely to suffer from morning sickness, plus a complex B vitamin is supposed to aid in fertility so B6 kills two birds with one stone for me.  Then me and DH take CoQ10 since it's supposed to increase sperm and egg quality.

ETF: Cause sometimes I get B6 and B12 confused.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • zrainzrain member
    I take a prenatal with DHA, vitamin D because I have been tested and am deficient, and B complex because it's water soluble so I figure it at least won't hurt. I sometimes drink raspberry leaf tea and green tea before O but I didn't notice any difference with those so I don't drink it as regularly anymore. I used to take EPO but didn't notice any difference with that either.
    Me: 29, DH: 29
    Married 9/27/14
    TTC #1 since 8/15/15
    BFP: 1/2/16, EDD 9/13/16 - MMC 2/10/16
    BFP: 3/17, EDD 11/23/16
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

November 2016 April Siggy Challenge - April Showers

• To the point of consulting with a doctor before taking anything, I do a mineral + vitamin supplement (6 pills) plus chaste tree berry (4 pills) for progesterone balance daily. I have a gene mutation called MTHFR (the motherf-er mutation, seriously, people call it that, and it's common-ish) and can't process folic acid so I need a vitamin with folate, not folic acid. Blindly taking folic acid was actually a big no-no for me, so that was a mistake I was happy to correct. 

My acupuncturist who practices eastern medicine has helped me onto my current regimen; I found out about the gene mutation from my regular 23andMe profile and the rest from a month-long hormone panel we did. My best advice is to find a practitioner that you trust who aligns with your views (for me, natural and no chemicals unless they can't be avoided.) I'm not in the field, but it seems this stuff isn't black and white, so for me (someone who is obsessed with finding "the right answer,") seeing someone I trust has made all the difference. 

I'm on TTC month 10 though, so who knows what's working. 
  • i take a whole range of supplements some all the time like a multi vit, vit c, d3 and magnesium but i have added fertilaid, maca as well 
  • Only thing I found to REALLY help CM is drinking 2tbsp of organic apple cider vinegar daily (or every other day). I tried plain mucinex, baby aspirin and all that and nothing really worked.

As far as supplements, you have to be REALLY careful because a lot of them are supposed to be taken either before or after ovulation, never both. So you have to be very consistent in temping.

The supplements I take are a really good multivitamin WITH minerals, magnesium, vitamin D (i'm deficient) and fish oil. 

I have alot of anovulatory cycles, so my cycles are very unpredictable. What I found helps "bring on AF" (and this may not work for everyone) is doing relaxing/stretching yoga poses and self fertility massage. I get AF within 2 days after doing those things, may be a coincidence but it's worth a shot!
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes