May 2016 Moms

High Amniotic Fluid

Anyone have/had experience with this?

I was told today at my growth scan that I have high amniotic fluid (not sure how high though). Doc mentioned that having low fluid is much more concerning, but they need to keep an eye on it. The only thing she mentioned was the possibility of preterm labor although the I know there are other things that could happen. 

So I am now ordered to get NST's TWICE A WEEK starting at 32 weeks! That seems like a lot of time at the hospital!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: High Amniotic Fluid

• I had this exact situation in my first pregnancy. It depends on how high the level is but the danger lies in *possible* preterm labor, having your water break before labor is ready to begin or having the cord pushed out when your water breaks (if very high for the last one). I had weekly NSTs to monitor everything and made it to 39 weeks before my doctor decided to induce so that I could be at the hospital and be monitored when my water broke (my levels rose dramatically directly before she made her decision). 

Try not to worry. Most women have no issues but it is better to be monitored and have this on your radar. Most of the time there is no explanation for excess fluid and everything works out as it would have normally. Keep us updated! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Me! I feel huge. Ha. My AFI is 27 and normal range is up to 25 I guess they said so not too bad...but I did get admitted last week for contractions. They totally went away with fluids- drink plenty of water especially since preterm labor is more likely. I am also getting more frequent growth scans (every 2 weeks so far) for monitoring- that may increase as things get closer (I'm 29 weeks right now). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both for sharing your experiences. I have since left freak-out mode and am feeling more calm about it all. 
  • Lurking from February..

I had high amniotic fluid which was discovered at my 40w growth ultrasound. Dr wasn't too concerned about it at that appt and wanted to see if I went into labor on my own over the next week.  I had another growth ultrasound at 41w1d which showed my fluid level increased, enough to cause concern to my OB and since I was past due date and not dialted at all he sent me straight to the hospital to be induced. He mentioned, though rare, about the cord coming out when my water broke and causing issues. Long story short, contractions started up on their own on the way to the hospital, water broke with no problems an hour later and I avoided induction. I delivered a healthy, sunny side up baby boy :)

Try not to worry too much!