LGBT Parenting
Options

What do you call your donor?

So, we had to see a psychologist before we could do IVF. At first I was irritated but the session was more informative then what I thought it would be. One topic she brought up was, what we would call the donor when referring to him in conversations with our LO. The suggestion was to find a word that was meaningful to us that we could use in replacement of "donor". Something that expressed how much this persons "gift" means to us; that with out that person, our LO would not be here. We are struggling to find a word that is meaningful but doesn't place the donor on some pedestal of divine greatness. To be honest, I don't see an issue with the word donor. 
What do you all call your donor or plan on calling them? Do you plan on talking about your donor with your child at all? 
Me~35 Wife~32
Together 6 years
Married 2014
TTC~ Reciprocal IVF
11/5-ER
11/10-ET (1 blast) = BFP
Beta @ 8dp= 185, Beta @ 10dp=752, Beta @ 16dp= 8,127
7/22/15 - It's a boy! 

Re: What do you call your donor?

• Options
    Ok, I thought we would have to do the counseling with ivf, but they never made us do it. (Maybe they forgot)  Now, I'm curious as to what we might have missed. 

I figured we would use donor. We haven't thought of it yet! Lol 

I'm going to buy different kid books that talk about things like this, and hopefully find a good word in those! I'm eager to hear what others say. 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    V and I are still TTC, so we haven't thought about this yet.  Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using the words "donor" and "sperm."  I am a pretty direct communicator, and I generally dislike fluffy terminology for things like body parts, sexuality, etc., particularly if a child is old enough to ask.  I think there is always an age-appropriate way to tell a child about where he/she came from.  

I think how the topic is discussed is probably a lot more important than the words used.  V and I already have one book that deals not specifically with the donor issue but that different types of bodies contribute different cells (each with its own unique "story") to make a baby.  Some bodies have a uterus for the baby to grow, some don't.  The main idea is that the two bodies it takes to make the baby are very special, but those bodies aren't necessarily the ones to build Baby's family.  We think it's a nice starting point to have those conversations.

Who knows, though?  Perhaps I'm talking big now, but in a few years, I'll be talking about storks! :wink: 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're planning to use "donor" (I feel like that is a pretty positive word) in explaining, but we've also negotiated with our known donor to be identified when the time is right. So we can tell our LO that (non-relative) uncle X was the donor that gave us the gift of helping us to start a family. @VL2016 I love the "two-bodies" concept--such a great way of explaining it :smile: 
  • Options
    FSBCFSBC member
    @VL2016 - will you share the name of the book you are referring to?
    Me~35 Wife~32
    Together 6 years
    Married 2014
    TTC~ Reciprocal IVF
    11/5-ER
    11/10-ET (1 blast) = BFP
    Beta @ 8dp= 185, Beta @ 10dp=752, Beta @ 16dp= 8,127
    7/22/15 - It's a boy! 

• Options
    @FSBC - It's called  What Makes A Baby, and it's written by Cory Silverburg.  I found it on Amazon. :smile: 
  • Options
    When the time comes, he will be referred to by just simply his name since he is a friend. I don't see anything wrong with saying donor however. Especially if you do not know him. We had to go see a counselor per the fertility clinic as well prior to those two rounds of IUI and it was very informal yet reassuring. 
  • Options
    donor
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Have you found any good books, @twomommiestobe?   Also, nice name!  ;)

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• Options
    I think we're just going to go with "donor", not dad or father.