Babies: 9 - 12 Months

What does your baby like to eat?

Hello! Looking to get new ideas on what to try with my little one. 

She's going to be 10 months old on March 2nd and so far has a wide range of foods that she seems to enjoy. 

So far we have tried: 
Gerber Puffs
Gerber Lil' Crunchies
Gerber arrowroot cookies
Gerber lil' bits meals
Canned peaches, pears, and pineapple packed in water
Canned veggies with no salt added
Fresh steamed broccoli
Applesauce with no sugar added
Pear flavored apple sauce
Dole jello cups with peaches
Cheerios, apple cinnamon Cheerios, a taste of fruit loops
Chicken chunks
Bananas
Cheese
Tortillas
Refried beans
Scrambled eggs
Pancakes with no syrup
Guacamole

We basically give her what we have within reason. I always make sure her portion doesn't have anything to make it spicy and I don't add salt to what she has. 

She stopped eating the pureed food around 8 months. She saw we were eating something different and wanted it. 

I'm a ftm and I've read a lot about what to avoid feeding babies. I thought I'd be the crazy mom who didn't let their kid try a lot of things until much older, but I don't see a problem with trying new things...even if it's just a bite or two. 

I've given her tastes of ice cream, cupcake, a couple of sips of chocolate milk, and a taste of chocolate. 
I witnessed her dad giving her a sip of big red the other day and he was scolded, lol. 

What do you feed your little one? What "no-no" things have they tried? 

Re: What does your baby like to eat?

• I would say try some more proteins- doesn't have to be meats if you don't want, but black beans, lentil beans, garbanzo beans, quinoa, spinach or kale (sautéed) and maybe some berries? My kiddos loved blueberries, raspberries or strawberries mixed into their cereal at that age. And I would mix together beans, cheese, mild salsa and maybe some spinach for a little lunch thing. Easy way to get them some protein. Yogurt is a good option too - we do the low calorie Greek yogurts because they tend to have less sugar. Does that help? 
  • Thank you! 

I do give her pinto beans and different types of peas. She loves cheese and eggs. I forgot to add that I do give her ham and also yogurts too which she loves! 

She loves berries too! Strawberries and blueberries are her favorite so far. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't be afraid to add spices to foods (without making them hot/spicy). I think it's great you are feeding her what you are having. Let her eat your meals but deconstructed. She can have pretty much anything. Spaghetti, lasagna, tacos, quesadilla, part of your sandwich, shredded chicken, etc. There are tons of options and it's great to expose her to that now.
  • I have to say I'm so impressed and I wish I was as brave!  We follow the 5 day wait rule and so our list is smaller than all of you!  I've noticed he's been really paying attention to my plate and so far I make all his food in purée form. So we started last month with puffs and teethers to grasp and mash.  So I'm so tempted to just start cutting bite size and see how he does but I don't know where to start.  So I'm curious when you gave her the broccoli or veggies, did you purée them or cut them in puff size bites?  Where you nervous?

when you all start feeding them what your eating, how do you serve it?  I can imagine the mess he'd make throwing things, lol!!!  We're trying blueberries next so I puréed them and mixed with banana.  Would you just feed the fruit as is?  
  • I cut my lo's food into bite sized pieces that she can pick up. I also give her cucumber slices with hummus. She still eats purées during the day, but always eats our dinner with us. She gets most of her protein at dinner; beans, ham, chicken, hamburger, roast, etc. I also mix a lot of different spices into her food to give her a little variety. 
  • mindaamindaa member
    edited March 2016
    andina05 said:
    I have to say I'm so impressed and I wish I was as brave!  We follow the 5 day wait rule and so our list is smaller than all of you!  I've noticed he's been really paying attention to my plate and so far I make all his food in purée form. So we started last month with puffs and teethers to grasp and mash.  So I'm so tempted to just start cutting bite size and see how he does but I don't know where to start.  So I'm curious when you gave her the broccoli or veggies, did you purée them or cut them in puff size bites?  Where you nervous?

when you all start feeding them what your eating, how do you serve it?  I can imagine the mess he'd make throwing things, lol!!!  We're trying blueberries next so I puréed them and mixed with banana.  Would you just feed the fruit as is?  

At 9 months, LO is starting to enjoy feeding himself more and reject being spoon fed. We'll cook veggies until they are mushy and give him small pieces. Whole Blueberries are actually great starter food - you can squish them a little to make them easier to pick up. It's slow going and totally messy - a lot of what he attempts to eat ends up on the floor, in hair, etc. (and this is just the beginning!)

Babies can have a gag reflex as they start to get used to solids. Yes, it's freaky at first, but totally normal. 

ETA, this page has a nice picture of what finger food "looks" like, as well as some suggestions on what to serve:
    https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyfingerfood.htm
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• My daughter is 11 months. She has yogurt every morning and some Cheerios. She still has a purée for lunch at school and then a banana at some point during the day with puffs. She wants less milk now and more solids. I nurse her in the morning, when she gets home around 5 and then before bed. She likes meatballs, ziti, rice, black beans, chicken, etc. The only thing she has repeatedly denied is avocado. For example, if we get Qdoba we get her a cup of white rice and black beans. She'll eat the whole thing. Sometimes we feed her with a spoon and other times she'll use her hands. With warmer weather coming we'll get lots of fresh fruit and veggies which will be great. As long as it's not spicy or have honey in it she eats what we eat.
  • I know I'm really behind on feeding my little one solids. She still has rice/oat/wheat cereal at every meal with a fruit or veggie (or combo) puree. She has some Gerber Puffs after as a treat. I have given her some very small pieces of solid food but it either didn't go over well or she gagged on it. I feel kind of badly about this I really must start getting her eating more solids!
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • We're trying to decide if we should feed our 11 month old more solids. She's been through the gamut of stage 2 pureed fruits, veggies, and meats (store bought). My DH thinks we should wait until she has more teeth (2 on bottom, 1 poking through on top) but I think she's ready to something with more substance. Reading about what your babies are eating makes me think my LO is behind. 
  • My 9 month old primarily eats finger foods. She has a scrambled egg every morning. Usually I'll give her some kind of easy fruit too and cheese. For lunch it's typically Greek yogurt or a pouch of fruits and veggies. She eats what we eat for dinner -- spaghetti, tacos without the seasoning, roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and veggies, stir fry with rice. Sometimes when I'm at a loss, I'll just boil her some noodles and mix them with a meat/veggie purée. Whatever. I just try not to give her too much processed crap, salt, or sugar. She started purees at 4 months and finger foods at 7.5 months.