Working Moms

Another snow day and sick child post

I have 2 school-age kids, we are military and have no family in the area.  I just went back to work this past week after about 8 years of being a stay-at-home mom.  DH and I had agreed that we would switch off taking days when the one or both of the kids were sick, but DS came down with a fever last night, and now I'm thinking about what would happen if we both had a hard time getting time off for this.  Anyone have any brilliant ideas for having someone on-call for sick kids?  I know people have suggested friends and all that, but I don't know any of those who don't also work or who are very busy and can't be on call....has anyone found someone on care.com or sitter city.com who function in this capacity?  Other resources?  TIA!
You are so money and you don't even know it.

Re: Another snow day and sick child post

• I hear you! We are also military and since the end of January it has been one thing or another. Luckily I have a very flexible job, so I just stay home. My husband has a much harder time getting off then I do. 
    I have never used care.com but have heard great things about it! If you live in a college/university town, you could also advertise for babysitters as well. 
  • Honestly, we just make it work. Whoever can more easily take the time, does. My kiddo wants his momma (or dad) when he feels yucky. I would just discuss this with your employer - they need to understand that you have a family and there will be times when you cannot make it in. Hopefully they understand and if they don't, then maybe find a job that does? Easier said than done, I know. 
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • We take turns. It can be stressful but we don't have anyone to ask, and a sick little one wants a comforting and familiar face.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have school aged children but if my lil guy gets sick, he would not be able to go to daycare. We haven't crossed this bridge yet (actually I haven't returned to work from maternity leave just yet) but right now I would take the time off (I'm the one that changes the diapers and feeds him and has more patience with fussiness...). I also don't really have problems taking time off. As far as snow days, I'm a teacher o its a perk of the job. I would imagine it would be quite an inconvenient for parents (that plus two hour delays)...here we have a good 5-10 snow days or delay each season.
  • Do you have any high school or college kids in the neighborhood?  When I was in high school, I use to babysit for my neighbor's kids on snow days.