Babies: 0 - 3 Months

First time mom breastfeeding blues

Hi all - I'm a new first time mom to Peter, who is 11 days old. I started out wanting to exclusively breastfeed, but it was rough going due to my son's strong latch - he all but destroyed my nipples, and the nurse gave me a nipple shield and some gel pads to help. Apparently I still wasn't getting it right, though, because he would cry after every feeding and wasn't gaining weight. He was born at 7 lb 14 oz, and as of his last visit to the lactation nurse was about 7 lb 5 oz. and dropping. The nurse said that he wasn't getting enough milk, which was in turn causing my supply to go down, so they rented me a pump to help bring it up. I've noticed increased amounts of milk in the pump, and just based on what comes out when he nurses, I think my supply is increasing, but I'm still struggling like crazy when I try to feed him. Most of the time, he'll nurse for 2-3 minutes and get drowsy. I do my best to keep him awake by playing with his feet, touching his face, giving him a gentle jiggle, changing positions, swapping breasts, etc. etc. etc., but it doesn't help much. I feed him for 15-20 minutes on each breast, and he always falls asleep and appears content, but the minute I try to move him, he starts crying. We've had to supplement with formula, but it was supposed to be a temporary measure just while we waited for the milk to come in. The milk is in, but it seems like he's still not getting enough, because I always need to give him 2 oz. of formula to keep him happy after I've fed him. Every time my son is in my arms, he's crying. It's heartbreaking to think that I can't make him happy no matter what I do. I spend a good 40 minutes or so at each feeding (I don't let it go any more than 3 hours between each feeding), then it takes me roughly 20 minutes to pump, then I have to clean the supplies from the pump, and by the time all that is done, it's almost time to feed him again. I feel like all I do is feed, pump, and wash. It's exhausting.

My other concern is that he sleeps a ton. He only spends a total of a few hours awake each day, and that's mostly for diaper changes and feedings. He doesn't seem to be sick, just very sleepy most of the time. Sometimes it's a lot of work to wake him up for a feeding. I just feel like the only time he's awake is when he's crying, and I just feel awful about it. I want to have a happy baby, not for my sake, but for his. I don't know what to do.  :'(

Re: First time mom breastfeeding blues

• I'm in a very similar situation to yours. My son is a few days older than yours. He was hospitalized with a fever for 3 nights at 3 days old due to dehydration (they automatically treat for sepsis when a fever is present). If I had only given him 2 oz of formula and then rechecked his temp 20 min. later..... Oh well. I've been through a bout of mastitis and now he has thrush. I exclusively pump now and my supply is slowly getting better, but 1 breast still produces about half of the other. I supplement between 2-4 oz of formula per day still. Likely, he'll always be supplemented. Don't feel guilty about feeding your baby. Some breast milk is better than none and there are vitamins in formula that aren't in breast milk (vit D, DHA and iron). Is he eating more from a bottle? My son is a lazy sucker and is doing much better with a bottle. Once you get his weight up, they will tell you not to wake him any longer. Yes, they sleep about 20 hrs per day at this age. Sleeping is completely normal. He'll start waking up more after around 3 weeks or whenever his first growth spurt is. If you've tried everything you can think of and he's still not getting enough, take him to the pediatrician. He could have tongue tie or some other issue that needs to be resolved. I found the LVNs at my hospital love to dispense bad advice. The dr.s have been much better. 
  • Loading the player...
  • And yes, I hear ya on the human food machine and the laundry! Omg I'm lucky if I get it all done.
  • Thank you both very much for your responses - it's comforting to know I'm not alone in this. I just read somewhere else that walking your fingers up baby's spine can be effective in helping them stay awake while feeding. I tried it, and it actually worked pretty well. Still, though, I just spent about 45 minutes feeding him, and he was calm for a couple of minutes afterward, but then started crying again, so we gave him some formula, and he took about 1.5 oz. He does feed much better from a bottle, so I usually pump during the day so we have a couple of bottles to feed him overnight, because it's a real struggle to try to stay awake for 45 minutes to breastfeed at 2am! 

We have an appointment with the lactation nurse this afternoon. I'd like to keep the pump a bit longer (I started out renting it for one week to increase the supply, but it's convenient for prepping). My hospital is really big on pushing breastfeeding - they recommend that babies be breastfed for the first year, or six months at the very least. I'm going to make six months my goal, because I know how crucial the benefits are for him, but I'll be honest, six months seems like a very, very long way away at this point.  :/
  • faithish said:
    Thank you both very much for your responses - it's comforting to know I'm not alone in this. I just read somewhere else that walking your fingers up baby's spine can be effective in helping them stay awake while feeding. I tried it, and it actually worked pretty well. Still, though, I just spent about 45 minutes feeding him, and he was calm for a couple of minutes afterward, but then started crying again, so we gave him some formula, and he took about 1.5 oz. He does feed much better from a bottle, so I usually pump during the day so we have a couple of bottles to feed him overnight, because it's a real struggle to try to stay awake for 45 minutes to breastfeed at 2am! 

We have an appointment with the lactation nurse this afternoon. I'd like to keep the pump a bit longer (I started out renting it for one week to increase the supply, but it's convenient for prepping). My hospital is really big on pushing breastfeeding - they recommend that babies be breastfed for the first year, or six months at the very least. I'm going to make six months my goal, because I know how crucial the benefits are for him, but I'll be honest, six months seems like a very, very long way away at this point.  :/

I think that's a great plan...just don't beat yourself up for any decision you make. Your LO will be just fine. Hang in there. You are in the thick of it and it isn't easy one bit.
  • Sounds just like my situation. Breast milk is what they push, not necessarily breast feeding. But remember, most of our generation was formula fed and we're all perfectly fine. When I supplement, I like to formula feed right before bed. Formula keeps baby a little fuller, which is great for sleeping a bit longer at night (but that's only after baby is back above birth weight and growing appropriately). Best of both worlds, I think. The other thing that works is pumping until your milk is flowing while giving some formula to take the edge off and then trying breastfeeding. Seems to help my little guy. Don't be afraid to try different things and find out what works for you guys. 
  • I'm in the same boat. My daughter is 9 days old and she was killing my left nipple and not taking my right one at all. I started pumping but was barely getting anything. So between pumping every 2 hours, feeding her, washing parts and bottles I felt like it was consuming me, plus she went from 6#6 to 5#11. I ended up supplementing with formula, which made me feel horrible. Ultimately though I gave up on breastfeeding. I'm still sad about it. But it's consuming my entire day. My other 2 kids were formula fed and are fine. Don't beat yourself up if you end up going with formula. As long as you're feeding your baby that's all that matters. My daughter is up to 6#3 now since going to formula.
  • Thank you all again for your supportive words. The appointment today was a mixed bag - we were very happy to find out that Peter is back to his birth weight (7 lb 14 oz), and after the feeding I gave him while there in the office, the nurse weighed him again and he was right at 8 pounds, so that's a load off my mind.

On the other hand, the nurse heard my concerns, and I wasn't hugely thrilled with her suggestions. She did say that it'd be a good idea to undress him to his diaper while feeding (I'd heard this before, but it seemed like kind of a hassle, and no WAY am I doing that for his overnight feedings), which helped to keep him more alert while we were there, and she said he was getting plenty of milk and that I really didn't need to supplement with formula, and she didn't think I needed to pump anymore, since my supply was up (although again, I'm doing that partially for convenience). The one part I really wasn't thrilled about was that she told me I should feed him every 1.5 to 2 hours instead of every 2.5 to 3 like I'd been previously told. I asked her what I should do if I fed him 15-20 minutes from each breast as I've been doing and he didn't seem satisfied, and she said I could just switch back to the first breast again. This would mean spending at least 45 minutes to 1 hour on each feeding, and getting maybe an hour break before I go back to it again. Maybe I'm selfish, but that just doesn't seem realistic to me. I won't be able to get anything else done, which is all well and good at the moment because I've got my mom and my husband here helping out until next week, but after that she'll be headed back home (across the country) and he'll be going back to work during the week. Up to this point, I've been taking pretty much all my cues from the doctors and nurses, which naturally have mostly been against formula and breastfeeding. But one home health nurse who came by when Peter had jaundice had a good piece of advice for me - as a mom of two young children herself, she said that sometimes you've just got to trust your gut and do what works best for you and your family. I'd like to think I have enough sense that I'd never do anything that would inadvertently put my son in any kind of jeopardy, so I think I need to be a little less afraid to try a few different things to find what works best for us. As Knottie4978096 mentioned, most of our generation (myself included) were formula fed, and we seem to be doing all right.

Thanks again for your support, ladies. I can't tell you how comforting it is to me.
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited February 2016

faithish said:
     The one part I really wasn't thrilled about was that she told me I should feed him every 1.5 to 2 hours instead of every 2.5 to 3 like I'd been previously told. I asked her what I should do if I fed him 15-20 minutes from each breast as I've been doing and he didn't seem satisfied, and she said I could just switch back to the first breast again. This would mean spending at least 45 minutes to 1 hour on each feeding, and getting maybe an hour break before I go back to it again. Maybe I'm selfish, but that just doesn't seem realistic to me. 

----qbf----

This constant eating is pretty normal for a newborn. Although my LC's advice was feed 1 side 15min, diaper change, feed the other side. But then yes after this taking 40min or so, it could be just 20min later that baby wants to eat again, so you do what you have to do. This doesn't last forever and the feeding time will drop to just 5-7min in no time. And over time the feedings will spread out as well. 

If its too much for you to breastfeed that much then there's nothing wrong with formula, but either way you're basically feeding constantly the first several weeks and it's normal. You sort of have to accept you won't get anything done but remember this is temporary. 
  • I hear ya on the time issue. The ladies with other kids have it worse wrt pumping and breastfeeding a newborn. I don't have this kind of time either. Just do the best you can do and don't worry about it. My husband is working 60 hr weeks right now with 2 hrs of commute time every day on top, so I'm at home alone 6 days a week and I've discovered that I need 2 more sets of arms to make all the things the LC person told me to make happen. It's not realistic. Some moms (very few, and I haven't met any in real life) have this kind of time (or nannies/nurses to help), but the rest of us will just have to decide what's important and forget the rest. I'll be lucky to get the spit up out of my hair today. And then there's returning to full time work.... 
  • Sorry to hear about your struggle. I had a rough 1st week before we got the hang of it. Skin to skin time really helped us. I stripped him down to his diaper and wore button down pjs that I unbuttoned for every feeding. Feeding every 90min to 2 hrs is normal at that age. My son was spending 45min to 1hr feeding and starting a feeding every 90min - 2hrs. Every 3 hrs at night but not that early I don't think. I literally spent atleast half the day BFing. I watched 10 seasons of criminal minds on netflix, rewatched game of thrones from the 1st season, and read the Red Queen because I got sick of TV. Believe me when I say I know how hard it is. It will get easier if you stick it out. And if you choose not to know that formula does the job just fine. I BF exclusively for 6 weeks before I cracked and gave a sample bottle of formula.  I continued BFing with supplementing for another 3 months. It's still early for you so if you do want to continue and supplement I suggest that you stick it out as much as you can for a month so you can maintain a better supply. If you feel like it's just not working out give yourself a break and don't make yourself feel guilty.  There's a lot of pressure on women to breastfeed but there's not always as much support as women need. 
  • I'm sorry you feel like it's really tough right now. I'm also a FTM and DD had a big struggle keeping her awake while feeding. I was so worried she wasn't going to gain anything but she ended up a chunky monkey! Please don't give up, the first month is really tough, and it does get better. Eating for long periods of time is what newborns do. DD ate for 50 minutes every day I was in the hospital, and I was so tired!! Once they get out of the newborn stage, maybe around 4 or 5 weeks is when I noticed that she was feeding for shorter amounts of time. And if you're really set on BF, make sure you keep up with pumping or you lose the supply fast. 

If if it doesn't work out for you, as PPs said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with formula feeding. I was formula fed and I'm fine! There's not shame in doing what's right for you and baby
  • My daughter did not feed well for the first 5 weeks of her life.  They gave me a nipple shield at the hospital, which was the only thing that enabled her to latch.  She had lost 12% of her birth weight when we went to her first ped appt, 4 or 5 days pp.  they started me on a regimen of nursing for 20-30 mins total, pumping for 15 mins and supplementing with pumped breast milk every 3 hours.  It was grueling!

a few tips I learned:
    you don't have to wash the pump parts after each use!  Put them in a ziplock bag or sealed container and stash them in the fridge between uses.  Wash once a day.

often sleepiness on the boob indicates that the work of suckling is not being reinforced with getting milk.  My girl had a tongue tie.  She couldn't get the milk out of me, so she would just dose off.  Once we corrected the tongue tie she can bf like a champ.  Has your little been evaluated for ties?

You ultimately have to do whatever works for you and preserves you and your family's sanity.  Just nurse a few times a day and give bottles the rest if you need a break.  As my lactation consultant says, the goal is to keep you in the breastfeeding game as long as possible because in time it almost always gets easier.  

• Thank you for the suggestions and feedback, ladies - my struggle continues. It seems like I'm having more of a hard time than ever getting the little man to feed. He can only nurse for a couple of minutes on each side before he gets drowsy and starts to lose interest. I really struggle to get him to stay awake any longer than that. I've been stripping him down to the diaper for feedings, which is naturally a hassle and upsets him, switching breasts after a few minutes, tickling his feet, adjusting position to rouse him, but nothing really works for long. When he is feeding, it feels like he's not sucking as strongly, but I do see plenty of milk coming out (I have to wipe a good amount of it off his face), so I don't think the flow is the problem. I've tried letting him nurse longer, but that really isn't effective when he just falls asleep after a couple of minutes. I was hoping that maybe he was just getting more efficient and getting the right amount of milk in a shorter period of time, but if I try to move him after he falls asleep, he starts to cry and we have to give him a bottle of formula. The nurse told me I could stop feeding him formula altogether because he was getting plenty of milk (she weighed him at the appointment, had me feed him, then weighed him again), but I'm not about to let him go hungry, and it seems like that's what's happening, because he will still take some formula after I feed him. I've heard that some babies will take a bottle even if they're not hungry, but he only takes as much as he wants - sometimes a half ounce, sometimes an ounce, sometimes the whole two ounces. I'm just worried that I'm overfeeding him, or giving him too little milk and not enough formula. I definitely still want him to get the benefits of breast milk, but it seems like it's getting harder and harder to get him to take it (although he has no problems taking it from a bottle, but I can't really afford to rent a pump forever). Any thoughts?
  • It's still early. I would reach out to a local La Leche League leader. You can find them on the main website and call one of them. It's hard to help over the net forums because I can't see how baby is. They do sleep a lot in the beginning and nurse on and off. Honestly I wish I would have reached out for help when I had issues at 4 months. I think I was self conscious because I was supplementing and working full time and all the other moms were SAHM that were full on BFing, bedsharing, no paci types. Really my problem was my own head not other moms.
  • I only really skimmed the responses so forgive me if what I'm adding is unnecessary or already been said.
    i just want to share my experience with you. 
    DD was born 3 weeks early and wouldn't latch or stay awake for feedings. Around 7 weeks I discovered her lip tie which might have contributed to her struggles as well as her size. 
    I started pumping right away to build and keep a supply but still struggled through attempting to nurse her. At my lactation appointment we discovered she wasn't getting any milk (not your problem since I saw your baby is getting enough) and the LC noticed she had jaundice. I ended up supplementing for two+ weeks. I also continued to exclusively pump because DD was not successful at breastfeeding and pretty much gave up trying to nurse. 
    After 5 weeks of struggling DD finally managed to successfully nurse and by 7 weeks she was exclusively breastfed. 
    I think it's good that I kept trying for so long because I think she was just too small and weak to be successful at breastfeeding and once she was bigger and stronger she started to get it. She's about to be 12 weeks and sometimes it's still hard but I remind myself that's she's almost 6 weeks behind on nursing. It helps that I'm a SAHM so I do have the time to do it. Our nursing sessions started out being over an hour each time but have slowly but surely gotten shorter. We're nursing for 45 minutes or less at a time now. 
    If you're able and willing, keep trying- it might just click and start getting better. It might not and that's okay. You could also think about exclusively pumping or switching to formula. 
    As for the pump, does your insurance cover one? If not, you could try looking into WIC- I've heard they lend out breast pumps. 
    With bottle feeding and worrying about him taking too much- you should look into pace feeding. It's a way of bottle feeding slowly so babies have time to realize they're full and don't overeat. 
  • If for some reason you can't obtain a free breast pump, you can purchase a closed system pump. I have an Ameda purely yours from my insurance and all you would need is a new tubing set (about $25 or so, cheaper if you can find a deal). You don't have to worry about germs with a closed system pump since no breast milk goes into the tubing or anywhere near the pump. You'll just need a new set of the tubing. I had to purchase extras since I have to sterilize after each use (pacis, niplles, flanges, everything!) since we're battling thrush. I believe the Medela is also a closed system and parts are available everywhere for that pump. Sorry you're having so many issues. You're not alone, this breastfeeding thing is really hard!
  • I do have the Ameda Purely Yours pump, which I received for free from my insurance, although it doesn't work anywhere near as well as the hospital grade pump. I have a feeling I'm confusing the poor kid, between the nipple shield, pacifier, bottle, and my own nipple (when it's not injured)! I've gotten a lot of advice from a lot of people, and I think I'm slowly realizing that I need to tailor the suggestions to what will work for us, because obviously everyone's situation is a little different. I'm planning on staying home with Peter for at least the first year (I've been very, very lucky to have been offered a position where I can work from home and make my own hours for the next year), so in theory I can nurse him whenever he needs it, although my husband will be returning to work next week. Currently, the baby wakes us up two to three times a night (we've been very lucky in that regard!), and we usually get up together. I don't want him missing too much sleep while he's trying to work. The best option for us to this point has been to bottle feed him in the overnight hours, because I cannot keep myself awake for the 45 minutes to an hour it would take to try to get him full, and I try to breastfeed him during the day, although I always end up having to supplement with formula because he falls asleep at the breast and won't take any more milk, then fusses shortly thereafter. I'm in a moms group on Facebook, and they've all told me I should stop with the bottles and make him nurse exclusively at the breast, which didn't work before, and I don't think I could continue to do that without losing most of my night's sleep and my sanity. I also don't want to put my son through that much crying and confusion. Is there any way to successfully combine breast and bottle feeding, or am I really just going to have to resort to tearing my hair out until he's on solid foods? :/
  • I had/have your exact same issue. What we have decided to do is combine bottles of pumped breastmilk and breastfeeding. The only tip lactation consultants gave me that worked to help with little one falling asleep while feeding is to do breast compressions when he starts to nod off and it has really helped. I pump and give bottles about 50% of the time and it helps to make sure he gets the proper amount in a faster amount of time giving me some sanity back. I don't wash all pump parts between every feedings I was told it was unnecessary by doctors. I just wash them about every 6/7 hours. I was very disappointed to start this method at first but baby and I were so miserable fighting with exclusively nursing I felt it was more damaging to both of us and our time together to continue.
  • For those of you who are pumping and giving bottles of breast milk - how easily did your LO take to the bottle and how well does he/she transition between breast and bottle?
  • jessjuhnkejessjuhnke member
    edited March 2016
    Mine took the first bottle I gave him and has never had an issue with it. I mix bottle and breast daily and he doesn't seem to have aproblems with it so far. I gave the first bottle sometime during his second week and he is now 5 weeks.  Also I use dr brown bottles with the level 1 nipples. 
    I don't know if it has helped with moving between bottle and breast but when we started introducing bottles husband and I agreed only he and I would give them and I end up giving most of them.
  • For those of you who are pumping and giving bottles of breast milk - how easily did your LO take to the bottle and how well does he/she transition between breast and bottle?
    DD took to a bottle the day she was born. It took her 5 weeks to breastfeed successfully and now she goes between with relative ease. She prefers the breast but will take a bottle if I'm not around or someone else wants to feed her. 
  • I have the same experience, little guy took the bottle first try. Definitely use slow flow nipples with a newborn. I accidentally gave him a medium and he was choking. Too much, too fast. Every baby is different, my nieces are extremely picky about their bottles. Sis was peeved because #2 wouldn't take the same bottles and she had to buy a new set. I agree, consider the advice, do some trial and error, and then do what works for you and your baby. 
  • Thanks; I think it would be a huge boost to me emotionally to know that I could get at least a few hours sleep and DH could feed her. 
  • We gave a bottle the first week but it gave DD really bad gas. I was afraid of the bottle after that and didn't try for a few weeks. The result was not good. She is 7 weeks now and HATeS the bottle. I have to go back to work in 6 weeks so I've had to start giving her bottle every day and it is a battle. The only way we can get her to take it is if I give it to her and literally act like I'm going to breast feed and then slip the bottle in last minute. Lactation consultant said we should be trying to give a bottle at every feeding until she gets comfortable. Dont wait to introduce the bottle especially if you know you will need to give one ! 
  • Breastfeeding your baby is stressful, period!!! I was able to nurse my daughter for 2 years exclusively, but mostly because she has such bad food allergies that I felt like formula wasn't much of an option. I feel like I had so many different chances that I would have quit. We battled a bad latch, nipple shields, her weight loss, allergic reaction to formula, colic from my diet, and a nursing strike, plus working full time for her first year and pumping. I figured out I had PPD for a lil more than a year but never connected the dots. I think breastfeeding contributed to it because I felt that I always had to be supermom since we didn't do formula and I had to do everything myself. I was worried about being away from her when i wasn't at work and if she had enough pumped milk in the freezer so I never had me time. Once we got everything figured out and was able to get my head out of the PPD cloud, I loved the connection more than the nutritional aspect of it all. If you supplement or formula feed, your taking care of your baby. Don't let your baby starve because you don't want to use formula. But it can be stressful regardless if you are able to continue it or switch to formula.

A lil tip: I kept my daughter on a slow flow nipple the whole time. I never changed it, even when she was 2 years old, so it mimicked nursing.

• @cew810 have you tried different bottles and nipples?  You might have better luck with a different brand.  
  • Yes. We have tried three different kinds. We've had most success with Lansinoh brand. She actually took 3 bottles yesterday and 3 today! 
  • You've gotten a lot of advice already, so I'll keep it simple. Here's what helped me:

- Lanolin. I smeared this on thickly after every feeding and it helped a lot with pain so that LO could latch without a shield.  My nipples were in bad shape the first month or so, but this really helped. Babies can drink more efficiently without the shield.

- Limiting feedings to 10-15 minutes per breast. My baby was also extremely lazy, and the LC recommended this to help him learn to be more efficient. I was spending like 1.5 hours per feeding...ain't nobody got time for that. At first this meant I was feeding him more often, but he really did start to get more efficient when he was put on a time limit. Yes, sometimes he was still hungry, but that helped him drink better next time.

- Pumping after each feeding. I did this while he was an ineffective sucker so that we had enough milk to feed him from the bottle later, if necessary. At first it was. But only for a week or so because he got so much better at breastfeeding. My LC suggested 10 to 15 minutes of pumping, and only after day feedings, because otherwise you won't get much rest.

Those 3 things helped so very much. We went from almost exclusively feeding the baby formula at 2 weeks old to a 100% breastfed baby by 5 weeks old.
  • I've gone through this same thing with BOTH my children! I was miserable. They were tongue tied, they weren't getting enough, they sucked my nipple THROUGH the shield, I was glued to a pump constantly. I had bloodied blistered nipples. And I cried so many tears! I started shutting out family and friends and turned into this zombie shell of a person. After many more tears, I had to make the decision to FF both. For me it was not worth the stress and developing depression. My sons needed me, not my boobs. It's disappointing, but I know it was the best decision to make all the way around.

Anniversary

• mumidimumidi member
    I haven't read all the responses but wanted to say, it's hard in the beginning and at his age it's completely normal for him to be eating for 40 + minutes every two hours.   It sucks and sometimes they cluster feed for hours, but it doesn't last forever and you'd be surprised what a difference a few days makes.  My LO has gotten better and better each day and now he's eating in 15-20 minutes total and also spacing his feedings to 2.5 - 3 hours during the day and sometimes 4 at night.  The best advice I've been given is that a lot can change in a day or two and it will get easier.  
  • I should've mentioned this earlier, but tongue tied babies have a really hard time getting the milk out. That's why he's so fussy after eating for 40 minutes. They chew instead of suck, which isn't nearly efficient enough to empty your breasts. He's working really hard to get that little bit out! So the nurse is right, you'll have to pump out to empty your breasts. You could supplement with formula, but your supply will go down and he'll have to work even harder at the breast. Breastfeeding tongue tied babies is a vicious cycle. Some people can get it to work, but it's incredibly difficult. Have you looked into clipping it? Some pedis or ENTs will clip it, then you'd have to do some suck training and craniosacral therapy. It could work, but it will take some time.  

Anniversary

• mrsbubsiemrsbubsie member
    edited July 2016
    I didn't read all responses but I saw what the Dr said to you, I'm a FTM 1 month old and I breast feed and supplement with formula at night, I cried at first about giving her formula but it was best for me to get a break from the human boob feeling, best for dad to get some great baby bonding time in and lastly best for the baby, I believe, because I know she is getting 4oz before going to sleep, and she will supposedly sleep better on formula and also she gets a mom with a 4-6 hour stretch of sleep! I don't pump anymore because i hate it. I'll make myself do it to mix in bottle every three or four days, but I only get one oz total. I guess what I'm saying is make your own plan, if your already bottle feeding add some formula in so you can pump less? If baby is gaining let that take some stress off you, try and see what makes mama and baby happy. I understand how exhausting it is ❤️