April 2015 Moms
Options

Early Signs of Autism?

My son just turned 10 months old, and very recently had his 9 month check up. At the check up, I was asked to fill out a form regarding all of the things he can/cannot to developmentally.  He scored with delayed development and this was noted on his chart.  I asked about what this may mean for risks of autism, and the doctor stated that although he has delayed development in some areas, the biggest sign for Autism would be if he did not engage socially (smile, babble, say "mama," "dada") - which he does.  However, after doing more research regarding his delays, I am worried and wonder if we need to begin some early intervention.

Things he DOES NOT yet do:
- Walk
- Feed himself food (although he does have the pincer grasp, he just didn't put it in his mouth)
- Respond to his name 100% of the time (sometimes it takes several times, or sometimes he doesn't at all if he's intently playing with something)
- Point to objects to communicate
- Wave
- Clap 
- Give or "show" us toys 
- Throw a ball 
- Only looks where I point about 50% of the time
- Typically doesn't get upset when I leave him with trusted care givers (apparently he should??) 
- Play patty-cake or peek-a-boo (he laughs at peek-a-boo, but doesn't play it)
- Hold his own bottle or cup to drink (he can hold a cup with two handles and put it to his mouth, but he doesn't actually drink from it) 

Things he DOES do:
- Sit on own
- Roll 
- Crawl
- Pull up
- Cruise on furniture 
- Babbles and says "mama" "dada" "baba" and many other sounds
- Imitates what I do (tongue clicking, smiling, sounds with lips)
- Smiles 
- Laughs 
- Eye contact 
- Transfers objects between both hands 
- Finds hidden objects easily 
- Raises arms to be picked up (but, only when he knows we are about to pick him up)
- Pulls on our legs when he wants picked up 
- Reaches for things he wants 
- Can high five 
- Plays well with others at day care

A few other things he does that seem to be concerning based on research is that he likes to play with doors (opening & closing), he rolls his wrists and looks at them with delight (I thought he was just discovering things...).

I am not asking for expert medical opinions on this board, but really need some other mamas to weigh in.  I am a first time mom, and honestly wasn't worried about any of this until the 9 month appointment, and now it is all I can think about.  I would really appreciate feedback if I should be "concerned" and seeking early intervention for him.

Thank you in advance!! 

Re: Early Signs of Autism?

• Options
    Hi kelly 
       I have a daughter which also turn 10months old and i have same concern 
  • Options
    Najjiya - thanks for your reply!  Did your pediatrician comment on any of these concerns as well?   
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your child sounds normal to me and can and can't do many of the things similarity to my child. I have no concerns. At this age they are learning so many things and the average age of attaining a skill covers a few months. In my opinion, as long as they are growing and learning some skills, that's good. My little dude has amazing gross motor skills and babbles constantly. However he only waves inconsistently, loves when I move his hands to clap or play patty cake but doesn't do it on his own yet, just started "sharing" his toys and has only pointed at things a handful of times. Enjoy this baby stage. These skills will come. If in 6 months from now some of these skills are not attained, then seek a Drs recommendation on whether your child should begin any interventions. Just my opinion. 
  • Options
    Thank you SO much Leannenicolson!! This is a breathe of fresh air.  My husband, day care provider, and the grandparents see no concerns , which is comforting, but then I get bogged down in the milestones.  THANK YOU for sharing that your LO is so similar - they sound exactly alike.  And I know he is still definitely learning things - he put food in his own mouth several times last night, pointed to things he wanted, and waved at Daddy (although totally out of context), but I'll take it.  Thank you for sharing - it is greatly appreciated!! <3
  • Options
    Here are the early signs/red flags of autism: 
    • No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by 6 months or thereafter
    • No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles or other facial expressions by 9 months
    • No babbling by 12 months
    • No back-and-forth gestures such as pointing, waving, or reaching by 12 months
    • No words by 16 months
    • No meaningful, 2-word phrases (not including imitating or repeating) by 24 months
    • Any loss of speech, babbling, or social skills at any age.

At 10 months, your baby should be babbling, making eye contact, and responding to your words and actions.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and have dealt with many special needs students (and it runs in my family, too). Autism doesn't show up until around a year or later, so I think you shouldn't stress about it yet. Sounds like baby is social, so you're probably fine.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about these...

- Walk--- 9 months is early walking (so is 10 months). Most babies walk around 11-12. Some even later. My niece didn't walk until 16 months. Her pediatrician said they don't worry until 18 months. My son started walking at 9 months and honestly its fun but exhausting... enjoy a non walking baby for as long as you can! 

- Respond to his name 100% of the time (sometimes it takes several times, or sometimes he doesn't at all if he's intently playing with something)--- I wouldn't worry. Most toddlers don't respond all the time either. My son has been ahead in everything and he tunes me out sometimes too!

- Typically doesn't get upset when I leave him with trusted care givers (apparently he should??) - reason for this is it shows they are aware of their surroundings and that you are gone. BUT your son could be just super chill. My niece was chill... she didn't start caring that her mom left til she was a toddler and she is very bright and ahead of her peers, so I wouldn't worry.

- Hold his own bottle or cup to drink (he can hold a cup with two handles and put it to his mouth, but he doesn't actually drink from it)- how early did you start the cup though? My son prefers to chew on his sippy cup or play with it. He'll only drink water from it occasionally but he still prefers breast milk to water. 

Also as for opening and closing doors I think I'm confused as to why this would be a flag of anything?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    To answer the above question as to why opening and closing doors would be a flag of anything: repetitive non-functional activities like opening and closing doors is an autism warning sign. It is a very common obsession for children with autism. This is called stimming, self-stimulatory behaviour. Another example would be flicking switches.

Having said that, it's also a really common phase for a lot of toddlers even those who do not have autism. 

OP, try to relax. Pay attention to your baby's behaviour patterns (and remember that even the healthiest children can be shy and remote at times) ask questions of your doctor, and try not to let your fears get in the way of enjoying your time with your baby! Chances are he's just fine! I know the motherly love/worry is strong. 

You are describing your baby as a smiling, laughing, imitating, babbling baby making eye contact with you. I wouldn't be concerned at all. 
  • Options
    I think your LO will be just fine. Our children are about the same developmentally. Our daughter learns something new every week. She's not fond on the sippy cup but will play with it. She doesn't throw a ball but will toss her cup very short distances. She only just learned to clap and wave but isn't too consistent. She also likes to repeatedly open and close the doors on our entertainment center but only because she likes the sound it makes when it closes since the doors are glass. I have a close friend who's autistic but wasn't diagnosed until into his toddler stages. They thought my brother was because he was very behind socially and developmentally, but he grew out of it and now teaches high school. It's still pretty early to worry about, particularly as symptoms don't manifest clearly until around school age. Autism is one of the challenges that is scary but manageable. My friend struggles socially but excels academically in areas that interest him. Schools these days are a lot better equipped to educate differently abled children. 
    But I know how hard it is as a mom to hear that your child could be behind. I rush her to the doctor if her fever reaches 100. We tend to overanalyze and think of every possible scenario. It's hard, but the best thing you can do is just try to stimulate your LO into new tasks. The sense of accomplishment is worth the repetition and trial and error. 
  • Options
    I'm a pediatric occupational therpist and work with and assess kids daily with developmental concerns, and reading what you wrote wouldn't concern me. 
  • Options
    My son is 10 months and is in love with opening and closing doors I have no concerns about him being delayed I just think sometimes kids like doing something by themselves. We do everything for them!! Also, patterns are part of the current learning development stage, for example if I do this then this happens. From what you posted I wouldn't worry at all!!! 
  • Options
    My son is 10.5 months and he may only be doing 1 or 2 things that your son is not doing. And our doctor is not concerned at all. He just started clapping and waving in the last few days. A few of the things you listed seem more like developments they should have by 1 year old. Also, every child learns things at different paces. My son was crawling at 5 months but wouldn't sit on his own for more than 2 seconds until 8 months, where as my nephew was sitting on his own for long periods at 5 months but would not crawl until 8 months. 
  • Options
    Well now I am freaking out. After reading this I realize my 10 & 1/2 month old corrected twins have stopped saying "mamma " "dadda" "baba" and "hi" about 2/3 weeks ago. They have been saying this stuff since about 7 months. They still babble, especially to eachother , all the time but it's less clear words & more of just sounds. When they're really upset they'll say "mamma" but all day I been trying to get them to say "mamma" or "dadda" and they just smile/laugh and shake their head no. Are they just messing with me? Developed their own twin language? Or should I be concerned?? No other red flags besides that. 
  • Options
    I don't think I would worry too much, but I have heard that twins developing their own language can be common and something you have to watch out for. My sister in law mentioned something about it (she has twins), but honestly I'm not sure what exactly you are supposed to do about it. Might be a good idea to ask your pediatrician.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well now I am freaking out. After reading this I realize my 10 & 1/2 month old corrected twins have stopped saying "mamma " "dadda" "baba" and "hi" about 2/3 weeks ago. They have been saying this stuff since about 7 months. They still babble, especially to eachother , all the time but it's less clear words & more of just sounds. When they're really upset they'll say "mamma" but all day I been trying to get them to say "mamma" or "dadda" and they just smile/laugh and shake their head no. Are they just messing with me? Developed their own twin language? Or should I be concerned?? No other red flags besides that. 
    Don't stress, Mama.
  • Options
    It's hard not to worry when a checklist is telling you your child is delayed! But, from what you wrote on what he does:

- Imitates what I do (tongue clicking, smiling, sounds with lips)
    - Smiles 
    - Laughs 
    - Eye contact 

It seems like he is developing normally and might have delays in some areas but not showing signs to be very concerned about. I would keep an eye on him and see if he regresses or you notice more in the following months. If you do, then get him checked out right away. If anything, for your peace of mind.  But, from what you wrote, everyone agrees he seems like a normal 10 month old!
  • Options
    najjiyanajjiya member
    Hi kelly it's been months now since you've posted. I wanna know what's the news with your lo. If he's been okey. Actually i was really worried until now. My lo is 13 months now. And the last time i asked her pedia about eye contact he said its fine and nothing to worry about. But this time so many symptoms i've noticed at her. And my husband was thinking that i'm just being paranoid. I wish i was just paranoid. Coz until now she haven't started walking. She walked as if tumbling all the time. And she doesn't make eye contact with me whenever i talk to her. She doesn't response or look back whenever i called her name. And i noticed one time that she's doesn't like the sounds of the chair or some moving furniture. She got scared and started crying.